Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,448 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,798 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Hi Folks -

OK, we're not quite to the goal yet, but I've got some data:

The system: MacPro 3.0GHz 2xDual Xeon. 10GB Ram.

1) First, I loaded Fusion, which is a beta release of a virtual machine simulation platform for Mac. Commercial release this summer. Supports 64-bit OS's, like XP x64. X64 loaded easily, without a hitch, as did Syncrosoft, Teleport, and VI.

2) Downloaded a trial version of XP x64 from Microsoft (fully functional, they give you an ISO and a 120 day activation key).

Results:

1) You can create 2 virtual machines, each with its own separate 4.5GB, AND ITS OWN VIENNA KEY (you can't even share them on virtual machines,
    it seems). Each machine has its own bridged IP on the gigabit LAN.

VI Standalone loads and reports 4,096 MB free

2) I loaded FX-Teleport slaves on each virtual machine. It works!

The master (in Forte, on my main DAW) recognizes the virtual slaves as independent machines, each with its own IP.

VI plug-ins load in Teleport and report 4,096 MB free.

Unfortunately, this setup is EATING processing power for LUNCH. Probabably because those processors are

* Running Mac OSX
    * Running TWO virtual XP x64 machines (OS's)

before you even get to VI.

So, I thought, well the ideal thing would be if you could create 1 virtual machine with say, 9 GB and access it all in Teleport. (If this worked, then I could just go with a real XP x64 boot on the Mac.)

Someone previously posted on the FX-Teleport forum saying that Teleport had some quirk where in XP x64, each plug-in opened in its own s32-bit pace and reported 4GB free.

So, I created a virtual machine with 7 GB to see if I could break the 32-bit barrier.

When you start out, with multiple instances of VI, they report 4,096 GB. And as I loaded a 600MB preset on one, the other continued to report 4,096MB free! Wait, then again, the instance into which the 600 MB was loaded ALSO reported 4,096. Probably VI has trouble counting its memory...

Bottom line: The Server application that ties the instances together maxes out at 3.9GB. I had 6 instances all stable, together holding 3.92GB of VI samples. Some dropout issues, but I did not tweak latency. Interestingly the 2.57 GB that VI instances now reported free was very close to the OS's report of 2.63 GB. Maybe they report 4,096 until the memory avail drops below?

On trying to load the next 550 MB Preset, the VI first just balked and stopped after 22 MB.

When I ran it again, it tried, and hung the system while trickling up to 4019 MB into the 'Server' application.

So: I had hoped that perhaps, you could take advantage of some loophole miracle and get at as much memory as a 64 bit system could serve up. If this were the case, I was going to load a pure XP x64 partition on the Mac Pro and use as much RAM as my heart desired. But alas, this is not to be. Or is it?

However, I have not given up:

Christian: If I could just get two separate installations of VI running on the 64-bit XP system, each of which pointed to its own server application, I could probably get 8GB or so loaded.

Similarly, if this strategy worked ad infinitum, then the Dell PowerEdge server, which holds 64 GB of RAM, and up to 4 dual-core Xeons, could probably load the whole library in a single convenient (if expensive) rack module.

What do you all think?

Best regards,

Eric

• last edited
    last edited
    very interesting finding, eric, and thanks for posting ....
    what about this:
    - run windows 2003 R2 x64 server natively
    - run virtual server 2005 R2 ( free download )
    - run several instances of XP x64 within virtual server

if the XEONs in the macPro are already supporting intel's virtualization technology this should reduce CPU load significantly ....
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks Christian -

Interesting - I'll look into that. Perhaps I'm headed in the Server direction after all? I worry that they'll be loud! Dell PowerEdge with 2 QUAD Xeon's? $2,623. I have 14 days to return my Mac Pro. But here's my question: Is 64-bit VI close enough that I'm wasting my time with this? Of course, when 64 bit comes, it will just work better, but I'm curious...

I'll post any further results!

Best regards,

Eric

• all i can reply is that it has always been VSL's policy not to announce something which is not already on it's final path to release ...

btw: the dell looks good - to bad i didn't find any info about the chipset (but i'd assume its some intel 5000 because one can choose between PCIe and PCI-X) ... though PowerEdge™ PE2950 SATA 2 x core 2 quad 2,66 8 x 2 GB 667MHz onboard Raid backplane 6 x SAS für 3,5" no harddisks no OS ... EUR 10.600 .... pfffff ... i could get 10 shuttle XPC core 2 duo 1,87 2 GB for that ...

• Dear Christian -

Virtual Server does not support 64-bit guests, unfortunately...

Q. Does Virtual Server 2005 support 64-bit processors?

A. Virtual Server 2005 R2 runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit (x64) host operating systems. It supports both AMD64 and Intel IA-32e/EM64T (x64) processors. Note that Virtual Server 2005 R2 does not support Itanium (IA-64) processors. Earlier versions of Virtual Server run on x64-based hardware provided it is running a 32-bit version of a supported host operating system.

Note that Virtual Server 2005 R2 requires that guest operating systems be 32-bit.

Not sure what to try next. more later...

Regards,

Eric

• what a weird idea! really. why didnt you did that on the real pc side? you dont need that special memory fully buffered memory is very cheap now. you get 2gb stickt for about 200€ you can easily find boards with 8 slots. besides this you could have more luck with intenl the vanderpool virtualization. but to be onest this does not sound like much luck either. why dont you just try to opene regular 32 bit aplication under 64 bit xp like forte, v-stack, kore and what ever. forte is laa aware and its possible to load in about 3,7gb. in v-stack and kore you could load up another 3,8gb then there are a couple other you could try. or you simply write a bat and load up 100 instances of the vsl-vi`s [:)]

i am at the same problem right now, but i definatly would not buy a mac to do pc stuff (actually i am writng this on a macbook under xp, but that another story)

• last edited
    last edited
    hmmm, that's weired ... here it says something different:

@Another User said:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition; Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86); Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition ; Windows Small Business Server 2003 ; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Supported Host Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Datacenter Edition or later; Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition, Enterprise x64 Edition, Datacenter x64 Edition or later versions; Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition or Premium Edition; Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 or later (for non-production use only).

if i find some time and a machine i will have to get my hands on it practically.
    christian

• Hey Gagga 3.0 -

You give me some interesting ideas. As for why the Mac, I have never built a box, didn't want to chance it, so I looked around for a pre-built box with enough DIMM slots. All of the major brand PC's have 4 max, and very few of their motherboards support more than 4GB. Lenovo makes a business desktop that supports 8GB. Only MAINGEAR makes a machine that holds 16. Also, I liked the idea of preserving Mac options going forward, as I am a Logic user still using Logic 5 Platinum (very good, but getting a little creaky - I only use it for sequencing).

I may very well end up returning my fancy Mac Pro and taking the 10% restock hit - its a 'research cost' in my mind. I may replace the Mac Pro with 2 Maingear boxes (each with 4GB and XP x64). With 8GB of ram, it would still be cheaper than 1 Mac Pro and with 4x4 each, I could hit 32 GB, which I don't think anybody needs - also, I could upgrade to quad cores if I needed more power at some point.

Could you elaborate on these board and virtualization options?

Christian -

From what I understand, XP x64 is only supported as HOST platform for Windows Server - that page you link to seems to be repeating the supported host platforms twice. Also, I notice in the Virtual Server FAQ's that USB support is very limited - no readers or scanners, etc. However, Syncrosoft may still run.

I sure would love to spend some time making music - but maybe I'm avoiding the challenge by tackling this one...

Best regards,

Eric