Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,204 users have contributed to 42,282 threads and 255,008 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• I think the idea is that this host sits on the same machine you run your sequencer on. In a way .. as I think it .. it's a similar arrangement to Gigastudio. GS sit's on a machine .. runs all the instruments .. does all the mixing .. but uses an external sequencer to process midi. So with all that in mind I think this app will do the same. But it will no doubt be able to pull all of the VI's together under it's roof, using your sequencer as .. just that .. as sequencer. Anyways .. lets find out when it gets here. You don't wanna rush to the end of the story before we begin do you?

• Hurrah, I can read the whole page. Nothing to add though. [:D]

DG

• This must not be real - October 25? I can not wait that long! I wish I could get hands on a beta - I am sure a beta by VSL will be more solid than what is considered "ready for release" by other vendors.

Being a software developer myself, I really appreciate VSL's quality standard. I hate it that it becomes normal habit to release software that doesn't even qualify for alpha status. Yes, we know it is hard that the last 10% of quality improvement take 90% of the effort. Thanks VSL for *not* taking the easy path!

Still: it is so mean to announce such a product, which just contains what we are all waiting for, then forcing us to wait weeks to get it. Don't you guys in Austria have any laws against torture?

Anyone with a time machine listening? Please get me a copy of Vienna Ensemble!

Peter

• Hi Peter,

thanks for the compliments.
    And yes, we plan to offer betatesting before the official release.
    There will be an announcement similiar to the RTAS testing here in our forum.

best
    Herb

• juhuuuuuuuuuu

• Hey Herb, how come you've only got one post? I thought that this was your Company? [:^)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@hetoreyn said:

it's a similar arrangement to Gigastudio. GS sit's on a machine .. runs all the instruments .. does all the mixing .. but uses an external sequencer to process midi. So with all that in mind I think this app will do the same. But it will no doubt be able to pull all of the VI's together under it's roof, using your sequencer as ..

Thanks for the reply hetoreyn

but then how would you route the output audio from ENSEMBLE back into the DAW to the Master channels for recording? 

Can VSL clarify how they think this will work with a DAW on a single PC, if it is indeed intended to.

Thanks 

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Hey Herb, how come you've only got one post? I thought that this was your Company?

DG

ROFL[:P]

• There are already 3rd party programs that do this. I would assume that VSL has just made this a one shop stop. Remember, on Mac it already runs outside the DAW; sort of.

DG

• Welcome Rob. Nice to see you here. [;)]

DG

•  Thanks Daryl - pleasure is all mine.

• "how would you route the output audio from ENSEMBLE back into the DAW to the Master channels for recording"

Hopefully this gizmo will have its own "Save as Wave" mode.  If not, you'd have to record the LIVE output of your soundcard using a different program, and make sure that all the instruments sound good in realtime.

I suspect this is going to be far better for previewing music in realtime than for rendering the final version for your recordings.

• I totally agree; since when have VSL ever done things by halves? Almost never, thank god.

Another week, Vsl another step closer towards world domination. :D

• One of the main features of VST instruments is that the audio output of plugins is immediately available within the host sequencer; I wouldn't expect this to be any different for VE, and indeed I'd be disappointed if I had to concoct some ropey lash-up to get audio back to the sequencer for further mangling and wrangling.

Even if VE ran standalone, I would be very surprised if I couldn't route its audio output anywhere I wanted to using ASIO rather than copper, since I can already do this with standalone Kontakt instances routed back into Cubase, for example.

I would expect this to work whether or not the actual instruments were hosted on the same computer as the sequencer, since I see VE as a solution to both the problem of managing many instruments within the host, and the problem of scaling many instruments across the computing resources within kicking distance.

Of course, this could be just blithering optimism on my part, based on my belief that VSL actually employ programmers who know what they're doing.

Breathwise, I batedly await real facts from Herb et al; miserywise, I await being put out.

• It is possible that VE itself will be a VST plugin that will allow you to load an arbitrary number of parts (instruments) and assign them to arbitrary MIDI input ports, and the Sequencer would load the VE VST and send MIDI data to it on the various ports and channels. 

Otherwise I have no idea how VE would get the audio back to the sequencer, except, as you said, through ASIO mapping, which would entirely be your doing.  With just over a month away I'd expect more details are available.  Could someone please clarify? :)

• I'm hoping that on remote MACs and/or PCs the VE will allow you to route audio over LAN back into your main DAW, a la FX Teleport!

It's a wish anyway....

•  I'm also hoping that this will replace FXTeleport in my setup. I'm sick of waiting for FXT2!

I also wonder if VE will run cross platform (with a MAC host and PC Slaves). That would be a life-saver!

-Alex

• Has audio, or even MIDI for that matter, over LAN been mentioned by VSL? I haven't read anything like this, so I wouldn't get your hopes up until it is announced.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Has audio, or even MIDI for that matter, over LAN been mentioned by VSL? I haven't read anything like this, so I wouldn't get your hopes up until it is announced.

DG

True, I assumed too much at the onset. I hope the VSL folks post some hard details soon! Alex

• Audio/MIDI over LAN is a whole new ball-o-wax which I seriously doubt VSL would push their hard-earned R&D money at... The fact that Max managed to get it working as well as he did is proof of that mysterious man's skill. It's possible, I suppose, that VSL might implement this, or maybe even license something from Max, but highly improbable, IMHO. --J.