Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,928 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Hi Mike,

First, in order for any of this to work efficiently, you'll need to have 4gb ram installed on the slave running VSL patches.

Second, you'll need to edit your boot.ini file to add a logon option for the 3gb system version. Your boot.ini file will end up looking something like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Third your host application and the vst dll files need to be large address aware. You'll need to edit their command lines, and that can be done easily with LAATIDO, a utility Mattias wrote. I haven't checked, but it was last available at: http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe

More reading on this can be found in this forum under the sticky topic that has Mattias' name on it.

• in most cases you need to add also the /USERVA switch with a value of about 3000 (basic rule: real memory in MB minus 1024 minus ~100)
    so ending up with the _additional_ line:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA 2950

what you get so is a dual-boot system (normal should be the default and as option to select during boot the /3GB) - you might want to increase the timeout (in seconds) otherwise you could miss the screen to select the configuration (use cursor up/down to select)
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks Peregrine and CM

1.How do I establish if Cubase SX2 is Large Address Aware?

Thanks again,
    Mike.

• Firstly just to correct the wrong information:

1) You do not need 4GB RAM installed; 3 works fine.
    2) It also can work with 2GB RAM installed, but it may be unstable.

Cubase SX2 is not LAA, so you will need to use something like masm32 (if I remember correctly) to "hack" the exe file. I'm sure that all of this is in the sticky on VI memory, as I remember typing it well over a year ago.

DG

Edit. I forgot about LAATIDO. That little app will confirm that Cubase SX is not LAA, but will hack it for you. Do remember that none of this is supported by Steinberg, so if in doubt either update to SX3,or change to a LAA host such as Forte.

• Understood DG.

1.SX3 is no longer available as an upgrade. I'd have to go straight to Cubase 4 - and there are issues with C4.

2.I've had a look at Forte - and I like what I see. Pity the demo doesn't download [8-)] Anyone using it and happy?

3.Have been told that some graphics cards can cause audio glitches if you play while the VI GUI is open - will investigate this. Obviously clutching at straws by now...thank god for this forum.

Mike.

• last edited
    last edited

@Mike McCarthy said:

Understood DG.

1.SX3 is no longer available as an upgrade. I'd have to go straight to Cubase 4 - and there are issues with C4.

2.I've had a look at Forte - and I like what I see. Pity the demo doesn't download [8-)] Anyone using it and happy?

3.Have been told that some graphics cards can cause audio glitches if you play while the VI GUI is open - will investigate this. Obviously clutching at straws by now...thank god for this forum.

Mike.

Another option; upgrade to C4 (to get the licence) and then download SX3 from the Steinberg f t p. This is legal, as your dongle licence will allow you to run the earlier SX incarnations.

FWIW I've rolled all my students back to SX3 for compatibility reasons, as well as the fact that there is nothing in C4 with they need.

DG

• Mike, check your PMs.

DG

• Blow me down, the problem's solved. [:D]

Closed the VI window and all pops & glitches disappear. Open a VI and they're back.

Embarrassingly simple solution [:O]ops: But if someone else is saved the 2 days of head-scratching I've just gone through, then it'll be worth it.

I have found the /3gig switch thread under Memory Configurations - will use this to implement the switch - once I'm confident that I'm not going to blow anything up.

Thanks to DG, Peregrine & CM for their help.
    Mike.

• DG - where do I look for PM's?

Mike.

(you can tell I'm new here... [8-)] )

• Down at the bottom of the main forum page. [:D]

DG