Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,441 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,077 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• The license on each key can only be "copied" using the Syncrosoft LCC -- and even then it's not copied, it's *moved*. The system is pretty damn tight, so I'm not sure why you couldn't sell a collection with the dongle. Again, I don't personally care, but I'm still not sure why.

As far as the credit thing goes, clarification would be great. I don't even see how it's going to be practical to credit VSL for certain projects... quite odd and confusing. Almost sounds like fiction. But I suppose truth is stranger than fiction. Or so they say.

J.

• last edited
    last edited
    Thanks for your response. There seem to be MANY satisfied customers. But these questions could use clarification. I do not want to get into the legalities of these issues. I would rather hear from a Vienna person on this board what the answers are first. Maybe it is all more favorable than I think.

I cannot imagine why they would want their credit on a CD that uses a Vienna cello for instance and has a tone of products from others on the CD, perhaps even inferior products. This could actually hurt Vienna as people think the inferior strings on the CD is theirs along with the actually Vienna sample.

@jbm said:

The license on each key can only be "copied" using the Syncrosoft LCC -- and even then it's not copied, it's *moved*. The system is pretty damn tight, so I'm not sure why you couldn't sell a collection with the dongle. Again, I don't personally care, but I'm still not sure why.

As far as the credit thing goes, clarification would be great. I don't even see how it's going to be practical to credit VSL for certain projects... quite odd and confusing. Almost sounds like fiction. But I suppose truth is stranger than fiction. Or so they say.

J.

• Hold the phone: ... What if, like many of us, you have multiple computers and want to run the same thing VI off both at the same time? E.g. solo strings on 2 computers, reverb off a third?

I'm sure this is all explained in a thread or pdf somewhere and I just wasn't payign attention that day... could a mod [or anyone] point me in the right direction? [:D]

• last edited
    last edited
    *clear my throat* - in the footer of evey page on the vsl website there is a link tems of license and AFAIK there is a seal on each DVD which asks you to agree to the terms of license.
    furthermore each installer present them and you have to agree before you can continue.
    in fact the license is not very different from other sample libraries (except those publisched under the creative common license maybe)
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • From the License:

Do I have to credit this disc if I use it on a recording?

With your purchase, you agree to use the following wording in any credits or liner notes accompanying the music recording, be it a music CD, cassette, or soundtrack compilation: "Orchestral samples included in this recording from the Vienna Symphonic Library". Screen credit for film and television use is not required.

----------------------

That's cool, just wanted to make sure I knew!
    Thanks Christian!

My other question: How does one go about using an individual VI on multiple computers at home? Can one buy a side license like with the Horizon series? I understand if it's not possible to.

• Okay, sorry cm. I should have just found it a re-read it.

You need to provide credit somewhere on a commercial product, "be it a music CD, cassette, or soundtrack compilation: "Orchestral samples included in this recording from the Vienna Symphonic Library"."
    That's fine, and not terribly surprising.

"Screen credit for film and television use is not required."

I assume this also fills in all those myseterious, slip-between-the-cracks projects like audio used on websites, in the background of podcasts, or other service-oriented applications. But what I wonder about is a cue sold through a music library? The library is selling the cue, and only paying the composer/VSL-user a royalty. How do we credit the library in that case? Do we need to?

Any clarification on something like this, cm? I mean, if I sell a cue to a music library, or license it through a library, I may not know precisely where the library's customer will use it.

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

This would be good in bold type, as it seems quite unusual to me.

hehe... I'm a total goofball. It IS in bold type! [:O]ops:

J.

• last edited
    last edited
    Where is this found at the time of purchasing from a dealer and having it shipped to you? Is it in the promotional materials? Or do you find out AFTER you already bought it? And once again, what sense does this make if I have Miroslav strings and others on the same CD?

@Banquo said:

From the License:

Do I have to credit this disc if I use it on a recording?

With your purchase, you agree to use the following wording in any credits or liner notes accompanying the music recording, be it a music CD, cassette, or soundtrack compilation: "Orchestral samples included in this recording from the Vienna Symphonic Library". Screen credit for film and television use is not required.

----------------------

That's cool, just wanted to make sure I knew!
    Thanks Christian!

My other question: How does one go about using an individual VI on multiple computers at home? Can one buy a side license like with the Horizon series? I understand if it's not possible to.

• If you want to use a VI Collection on more than one computer at a time you have to buy a second copy at full price. However, in special circumstances it may be possible to get a time limited "other" copy from VSL. I would suggest that if this is what you need you get in touch with the powers that be at VSL directly and see what they will offer you.

DG

• Deswind, the Terms of License can be found on our website and you agree to them by installing and clicking "accept".

As for crediting VSL, you could also read it as this recommendation: If it's easy for you (e.g., in the liner notes of a CD), we're happy getting credited. If it's not easy or not possible (e.g., movie, game, audio on websites, tracks for music libraries), there's no credit nesessary.

Cheers, Martin

• last edited
    last edited
    In a perfect world they would be agreed to upon purchase. That makes it much easier for the consumer to know what they are getting.

BUT I am done whining (yeah!)

So back to the original thread - what would you recommend as the next best purchase to go with solo strings?

@Martin said:

Deswind, the Terms of License can be found on our website and you agree to them by installing and clicking "accept".

Cheers, Martin