Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,095 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 37 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Question about dividing collections across 2 Macs

Hello,

I want to spread the Symphonic Cube across two Macs. Would it be possible (to remain flexible) to put the whole Symphonic Cube completely on each Mac. In this way I would have full flexibility to load instruments on one computer or the other depending on the combination of instruments I need.

Greetings,

Gerard

• You can install VSL on as many computers as you like, but you have only licensed its use on one computer at a time, hence the Syncrosoft keys. You can swap licenses to different keys per orchestral section, and the samples will be waiting on both computers wherever the licenses are swapped.

But you'll never be able to play the same section at the same time on two computers. Regrettably, if VSL issued a user five licenses, four would show up on eBay the next day.

It'd be cool to have side licenses for networks with a master key and satellites, but the security issues are probably no better.

• Hello Plowman,

The reason for me to ask this, is that my Macs are not both equally powerful. One is a Quad and one is a 2 Ghz G5. The G5 is not as powerful as the Quad. If I would be able to install the complete Symphonic Cube on both computers (so the whole library would be in two places) I could choose my instruments on the fly. For instance I would not have to choose to put say all strings on the G5 and the rest of the orchestra on the Quad. If I were to compose a piece for string orchestra, it might well be the case that the G5 cannot cope with all the articulations I would want then. At that moment I could choose to work on the (same) strings on the Quad. I hope I am being clear. Would this be possible? Or would I have to move my licenses (and my keys?

Greetings,

Gerard

• Plowman, this is not totally true...

You get one licence per collection - so, a total of 10 licences with the Symphonic Cube. You can download one ore more licence to a Vienna Key.

You could for example have 5 licences on one key, and 5 licences on the other one, and thus use VI on two computers. You could also have 10 keys, one licence per key, and thus use 10 computers.

The only thing you can't do is split a licence between two (or more) keys. One licence; one collection = one key.

Jerome

• Point taken. One may run "VI" (the whole orchestra) on many computers at once. But the sections themselves (Brass I, II, Woodwinds I, etc.) can only perform on one computer at a time.

Hi Gerard. Your hope for flexibility is widely shared among VSL users. But VSL has been clear that it will not be dividing its license groups anytime soon.

The string licenses are grouped as (orchestral violins and violas) (orchestral cellos and basses) (solo strings) (chamber strings). You've got the freedom to decide where each of these four licenses go. But the licenses can't be sub-divided according to an individual instrument or its articulations.

And you can't have the same license on two keys at once.

• just to make it clear: it is not a question of beeing *willing* to split collections but of beeing *able* - it has several reasons why it is simply not possible. you might have noticed some users actually have problems using a strings-patch if orchestrals violins/violas and celli/doublebass are on different computers).
    for those among you who need to have a collection on more than one computer simultaneously we will be able to provide a workaround using *linked licenses* with a limited number of starts
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Christian:

One question: the Solo String Library is so large that it is not really possible to run all its articulations on one computer. For example I am currently using 3 matrices, each with 24 patches and that takes up in excess of 2GB of RAM - - so there is still room, but not a lot - - unless I also use the Standalone along with the plug-in to gain access to more RAM. (If this is going to be the only way to get above the 3GB limit, it would be most helpful if the standalone allowed the user to assign specific auido channels.)

I suppose all this will become less important with the advent of 64bit operating systems, a 64bit version of Logic or DP and a 64bit version of the Vienna Instruments software, but for this library, at least, it would be helpful to have some kind of "linked license" without a limitation of the number of starts. How many starts is a "limited number?" Is the "linked license" renewable and, if so, what would it cost?

One last question on a different subject there were reports that G5 machines could not be used as slaves without getting lots of digital artifacts. As I plan to puchase a next generation Intel Mac sometime next year, I'd very much like to be able to use m current G5 as a slave, so I was wondering if this problem has been solved?

Thanks,
    Stephen

• stevesong, happy to read some feedback about this - repeatedly posted - offer, the number of starts is limited to 100 and is free. an unrestricted number of starts would be a site-license - if you think you need such a thing please contact sales@vsl.co.at for pricing.

regarding the performance problem on slave-macs i'm just the observer and not the programmer - to me it looks like an issue handing through information involving the GUI, though IIRC you can avoid it switching the screen off. of course our deveolpers are working on a better solution but AFAIK there are no current news.
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Chrsitian:

Thanks for your response. This is not smething I immediately need, but I wanted to know if it were, at least a possibility for the solo string library. Hopefully in the next version of the VI software, the standalone will have assignable audio outs - - so that it will be easier for 32bit systems can access more RAM than is possible with the plugin alone. (I've done this with the current version using one standalone and Soundflower) And, of course, when we get to a 64bit world RAM limits would disappear.

In your remarks about the use of the G5 as a slave - - are you saying that you cannot successfully use a KVM switch or Apple Remote Desktop to access the slave machine? With KVM switch one could simple swith it to the Master machine.