Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,098 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 35 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

JWL, good to know that there are some good Inkjets. Are there any ones that print faster than one page a week? [:D]

You gave some very good advice and then spoilt it by mentioning the name Kalmus. This travesty of a company does not belong in a post that is geared towards music production. [8o|]

DG

Ah, DG-- Kalmus-- another evil of the real world. That's a good reason right there to endeavor mastery of Finale or Sibelius.

One page a week? Hmmm-- is Epson more of a travesty than Kalmus as a suitable thread term? [:D] Actually, Epson is closer to one page a month.

No regrets on the Canon, tho.
    I keep thinking that I should get a new printer, as mine is an old (13 years) HP LaserJet 5, but as I don't do that much printing any more and I'm too mean to spend the money, I keep putting it off. I would like an A3 printer, but I think that I probably don't need it, so it's just gear lust. [:(]

DG

Gear lust.

What a love/hate jam that is. I'm in Europe right now, but am wondering if I should stop on my way home from the airport when I get back to the States to pick up a great variety of gear out of pure lust. I already have a ton of new software waiting to be installed-- but gear lust will kill you if you let it!!!

Man, I'm aching to snag a new Rain PC or a pocket full of Mac Minis....

• I do the same as mathis. I bring all my MIDI into Sibelius and print using a HP Laserjet 1300, printing on A4 at the best print print settings. You can blow it up to A3 no problem because of the clarity.

I tried using a inkjet and it took me forever. I did an experiment once with my inkjet and the laserjet together as I have sibelius running on 2 different computers. By the time the ink jet had completed 1 1/2 pages in it's best settings, my laser jet had finished 50! And the results from the laser were much crisper and clearer. And when I blew up a page from each to A3, the laserjet was much better. So, it's faster, clearer and produces perfect results when blown up.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jonny Mantle said:

I do the same as mathis. I bring all my MIDI into Sibelius and print using a HP Laserjet 1300, printing on A4 at the best print print settings. You can blow it up to A3 no problem because of the clarity.

I tried using a inkjet and it took me forever. I did an experiment once with my inkjet and the laserjet together as I have sibelius running on 2 different computers. By the time the ink jet had completed 1 1/2 pages in it's best settings, my laser jet had finished 50! And the results from the laser were much crisper and clearer. And when I blew up a page from each to A3, the laserjet was much better. So, it's faster, clearer and produces perfect results when blown up.

It must be that healthy Welsh air!!

What inkjet did you use?

• [/quote]

It must be that healthy Welsh air!!

What inkjet did you use?[/quote]

And a healthy supply of Leeks!

As unhelpful as this sounds, I can't remember because it eventually popped it's clogs and I got rid of it. It was good one though, and could print up to 2400dpi. Bit pointless because the human eye can't register more than 600dpi anyway, and going higher in dpi only makes a difference if you print in a much larger size than the original object was. So it would be fine for making a passport size photo lok good when printing it the size of a postcard, but made no difference to normal print.

Still, despite this, the laserjet looks clearer and sharper even though it has a lower resolution - even when blown up to A4. And it cost less!

Do I get a prize for the most unhelpful post so far?

• last edited
    last edited

@Jonathan Mitchell said:

I love the comment about spitting trombones. You can of course fairly easily get around this problem by laminating the brass parts. What works for children will surely work for the brass section?

I do that with my rock band. When I go into a rehearsal, I take a laminated copy of the songs' score. Prevents me ruining it by jumping round all over it by accident, spilling beer and other general mayhem in the name of rock and roll. Doesn't help if I need to make an amendment though. Then I have to scratch it violently with a black biro.

I wouldn't spit on scores though. That's just nasty - those debauched, anarchic punk rock trombonists! Brass players today, they just don't have the respect that they used to [[;)]] .

• last edited
    last edited

@Jonny Mantle said:

and going higher in dpi only makes a difference if you print in a much larger size than the original object was. So it would be fine for making a passport size photo lok good when printing it the size of a postcard, but made no difference to normal print.

That doesn't make sense at all. You'd need a *scan* of higher resolution to be able to enlarge it, the printer can't do anything about it.

• I popped a clog the other day. I love it when that happens.

• I suspect, Johnny that the bones will give you all that guff about cold instruments, warm breath and the inability of air to hold moisture at lower temperatures. If this is the case, then why don't we see misty notes coming out of the bell?

Hwyl fawr i chi!

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on