Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,093 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 38 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Vienna Instruments or Pro Edition Performance Set?

I am currently using a lot of VSL samples: Pro Brass and Winds, Horizon Chamber Strings, Solo Strings, Mallets, etc. I work on one computer running Gigastudio 3.0 and Sonar Pro 4.0. I like working in midi at least for beginnings of projects and then I expand to Pro Tools and other audio processing software and hardware.

I need to get some Brass and Woodwinds that have good performance abilities, but I am not sure wether to buy the Pro Edition Performance Set, or the Vienna Instruments (brass I and Winds I, std. and ext. versions). I really do not work often with virtual instruments via Sonar, though I know you can.

I need some suggestions from people familiar with both sets. I'd like to keep working as I am, can I use Vienna Instruments on Sonar along with standard sample files? Do the VIs use a lot more resources than the Performance set? Is there a big difference in sound quality between the two? I really need convincing legato and repetitions. IS one set better then the other?

I know I am asking a lot here, but I don't want to end up spending a lot of money on the wrong thing. Any unbiased suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

• last edited
    last edited
    seriously, no one here can answer these questions? Is there anyone on the VSL staff that I can talk to privately to get an idea of which sets would be better for me?

@Astro said:

I am currently using a lot of VSL samples: Pro Brass and Winds, Horizon Chamber Strings, Solo Strings, Mallets, etc. I work on one computer running Gigastudio 3.0 and Sonar Pro 4.0. I like working in midi at least for beginnings of projects and then I expand to Pro Tools and other audio processing software and hardware.

I need to get some Brass and Woodwinds that have good performance abilities, but I am not sure wether to buy the Pro Edition Performance Set, or the Vienna Instruments (brass I and Winds I, std. and ext. versions). I really do not work often with virtual instruments via Sonar, though I know you can.

I need some suggestions from people familiar with both sets. I'd like to keep working as I am, can I use Vienna Instruments on Sonar along with standard sample files? Do the VIs use a lot more resources than the Performance set? Is there a big difference in sound quality between the two? I really need convincing legato and repetitions. IS one set better then the other?

I know I am asking a lot here, but I don't want to end up spending a lot of money on the wrong thing. Any unbiased suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

• What was wrong with the answers that you got on your duplicate thread?

DG

• last edited
    last edited
    DG, I apologize, I checked the duplicate after posting this - silly me. I did ask for more info on that post though. Hopefully someone can steer me toward some more detailed info.

Thanks,
    Mike

@DG said:

What was wrong with the answers that you got on your duplicate thread?

DG

• Roh, roy!!

Hey Astro:

The Cube volumes are killer. Sounds and Performance Tools are all bundled into one tidy console. Audio is 24-bit!

Yes, the Cube does use more *apparent* resources than the other sets. I was able to consistently get 30 instances or more using Logic EXS24 with Pro Edition, but that was one patch per instance. With Cube, clusters of patches can be loaded into a matrix at once, so the actualy amount of data loaded is about the same.

Keep in mind that those using full wack orchestral VIs-- even some of the other non-VSL collections-- are using a series of computers in a network to accommodate all that they need to run at once.

But in terms of ease of use, diversity of articulations, and sound quality, The Cube volumes win hands down. There is so much more you can navigate and organize in one single instance- so much so that I've not been able to bring myself to return to the Pro Edition since the Cube was released.

There are those who are using Sonar, so some of them will have to address issues specific to Sonar.

But, I really think if you are going for brass, getting the Cube set is a relatively affordable way to get a whole lot more bang for your buck.... and the sounds are compatible. In fact, many of them are the same as in other collections. If you have any of these sounds in other collections, there may even be a discount for you if upgrading to the Cube.

The other thing is that to get the most out of the Pro Ed., you have to buy the whole thing. With the Cube, the brass set comes with all the tools you need to make it work without having to buy a separate tool or buying more than you need at once. You can get only those volumes of the Cube you need now and add on to it as your needs require.

• last edited
    last edited

@JWL said:

Roh, roy!!
    =====

HAHAHA, funny JWL, but the nickname actually comes from “Astroboy” the old anime cartoon, not the Jetson’s, but I got the joke none-the-less. [:D]

Thanks a lot for answering some of my questions. Here’s the deal:

I currently use the following PC computer equipment:

Asus w/Intel 865G Chipset
    Intel P4 3.0GHz / 800MHz FSB
    1GB DDR400 RAM
    4 Glyph Seagate SATA Hard Drives (2 80GB + 2 120GB)

I run Gigastudio 3.0 Orchestra and Sonar 4.0

I like this setup and would LOVE to keep everything on one computer, for now at least, if possible. Also, the only VIs I am interested in right now are the Woodwinds and Brass. I currently use the VSL Pro Edition Winds and Brass with no performance set, so I miss out on good legato and repetitions. I’d like to use the VIs for convincing sounding solo work when needed.

I write for small mixed ensembles all the way up to full orchestra and that has been working fine with my current setup. I generally use as much midi/samples as needed and then, if necessary, bounce everything to an external digital workstation to add whatever acoustic instruments I need. For added realism with samples I’ll occasionally record them “live” as if I were playing a real acoustic instrument into the mix. Obviously I’d have no trouble using the Vis in the latter way, as they function as stand alones, however, and this is a HUGE HOWEVER, will I be able to use them in conjunction with my current setup (older samples via Giga) using Sonar as my sequencer, all on one machine, or is that asking too much?

This is why I was considering buying the performance set – I know for sure I could use those as it does not differ from my current setup. However, the sound of the VIs BLEW ME AWAY and I really want to start using them as needed. I just don’t want to have to buy a bunch of new computer stuff at the same time if I can avoid it.

Anyway, that’s it! I thank you in advance if you actually read through all this! [:)]

Mike

=============================

Hey Astro:

The Cube volumes are killer. Sounds and Performance Tools are all bundled into one tidy console. Audio is 24-bit!

Yes, the Cube does use more *apparent* resources than the other sets. I was able to consistently get 30 instances or more using Logic EXS24 with Pro Edition, but that was one patch per instance. With Cube, clusters of patches can be loaded into a matrix at once, so the actually amount of data loaded is about the same.

Keep in mind that those using full wack orchestral VIs-- even some of the other non-VSL collections-- are using a series of computers in a network to accommodate all that they need to run at once.

But in terms of ease of use, diversity of articulations, and sound quality, The Cube volumes win hands down. There is so much more you can navigate and organize in one single instance- so much so that I've not been able to bring myself to return to the Pro Edition since the Cube was released.

There are those who are using Sonar, so some of them will have to address issues specific to Sonar.

But, I really think if you are going for brass, getting the Cube set is a relatively affordable way to get a whole lot more bang for your buck.... and the sounds are compatible. In fact, many of them are the same as in other collections. If you have any of these sounds in other collections, there may even be a discount for you if upgrading to the Cube.

The other thing is that to get the most out of the Pro Ed., you have to buy the whole thing. With the Cube, the brass set comes with all the tools you need to make it work without having to buy a separate tool or buying more than you need at once. You can get only those volumes of the Cube you need now and add on to it as your needs require.

• (Note to self: Rut-ro! Astroboy, indeed.)

I would be careful with 1G RAM, Although I am not a PC user, I do know that more can be done with 2GB RAM than with 1GB. Much beyond that there is a point of diminishing returns because 32-bit software will just not address a whole lot more-- hence all the talk about networks and 3GB switching.

I wouldn't think the Performance Tool would add much of a burden to things, but I would do some tests by adding more instances of what you already have just to see where your machine starts to go into meltdown. Jot those numbers down, and take readings of your CPU/RAM performance. If you are one articulation away from going radioactive, then you know that adding another two sets of instruments may not play nice with all else running.

Compare those numbers with some of the sytem requirements on the collections you want (ww, brass). The differential will be your benchmark.

Also, check the VSL CPU/RAM test threads. There is much info for PC users there. (I think there is a thread that talks about RAM for PCs stickied atop one of the forums.)

No doubt, our friends Jerome and DG will peek in and will be able to help a lot more with specifics than I can.

Cheers!

• last edited
    last edited
    Oh, running the perf tool and lots of open instances is no problem with 1GB of RAM. You're right, 2GB would be far better, but you can open quite a few perf instruments with 1G. HOWEVER, I really want to get the VIs because they seem to sound a lot better than the original perf set. So, I need to know if I cna run a limited number of VIs at the same time as other samples via GIGA. I'm more than willing to bump up the RAM, I just don't want to have to buy a second computer yet. That's the part I am having trouble getting an answer on. But, I'll keep pushing. [:D]

@JWL said:

(Note to self: Rut-ro! Astroboy, indeed.)

I would be careful with 1G RAM, Although I am not a PC user, I do know that more can be done with 2GB RAM than with 1GB. Much beyond that there is a point of diminishing returns because 32-bit software will just not address a whole lot more-- hence all the talk about networks and 3GB switching.

I wouldn't think the Performance Tool would add much of a burden to things, but I would do some tests by adding more instances of what you already have just to see where your machine starts to go into meltdown. Jot those numbers down, and take readings of your CPU/RAM performance. If you are one articulation away from going radioactive, then you know that adding another two sets of instruments may not play nice with all else running.

Compare those numbers with some of the sytem requirements on the collections you want (ww, brass). The differential will be your benchmark.

Also, check the VSL CPU/RAM test threads. There is much info for PC users there. (I think there is a thread that talks about RAM for PCs stickied atop one of the forums.)

No doubt, our friends Jerome and DG will peek in and will be able to help a lot more with specifics than I can.

Cheers!

• Hey Astro:

Did you see this thread?

http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=7952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PC Memory Config and VI-- there's some discussion about GIGA, too...

• last edited
    last edited
    JWL, I had not seen that thread - thanks. I have been trying to search for threads on multiple computer setups to see how most people are doing that, but the search engine has been freezing up on me. Do you know of any good threads dealing with that issue?

Mike

@JWL said:

Hey Astro:

Did you see this thread?

http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=7952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PC Memory Config and VI-- there's some discussion about GIGA, too...

• Hey Mike:

That one is about the best one I've seen on the topic of Memory.

Here's another thread-- also stickied near the top of the Vienna Instruments forum index:

"Information". Good one to bookmark.

http://community.vsl.co.at/viewtopic.php?t=7977