Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,362 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,057 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• Magates, I didn't think anyone even remembered Basic Instict..... Great score huh? Horrible movie though.....

-Ben

• yea great score, and i think the movie is okay. mainly cause the score makes it work.

• You know another similar scenario with regards to this was Congo. I thought the score was great, movie not so great. Jerry G, had a knack for keeping me intersted even though the move was flat....

-Ben

• ALIEN-Jerry Goldsmith

• 1) Star Wars (all of them)
    2) Gladiator
    3) ....too hard to decide on a third one...

• alien should be footnoted with howard hanson. The movie wouldn't be the same with out his music. At least in my opinon as huge howard hanson fan.

• Was any Hanson used in the film other than the end title? Have you heard Goldsmiths original end title? A stunning work that is quite beautiful.

• I haven't heard what jerry did, but I am sure it was great. And yea I think it was just the end titles but still it had a huge impact to me anyways.

• I recorded it when Gail Eichenthal interviewed David Raksin on KUSC years ago. I like the Hanson but I think Jerry's music blew it away and was far more appropriate to the film.

I'm guessing you know a little about KUSC if I'm not mistaken.

• State Of Grace - Ennio Morricone

brilliantly dischordant and hauntingly beautiful!

Oh and in terms of "drony" scores:

Copland - Howard Shore

AND speaking of cops .......for jazzy it's GOT TO BE

Bullit - Lalo Schifrin (or maybe Taking Of Pelham 123.......12note system)

hehe

• Oh, no Gabriel Yared fans around here? How come....

Possession, the english patient... just beautiful.

M

• 1- A L I E N
    2- Poltergeist
    3- Gremlins

...but also
    Chinatown, Papillon, Patton, Planet of the Apes, The Illustrated Man and Logan's Run...
    as well as The Final Conflict, The Challenge and Night Crossing...
    fighting for a place in this top-3... [[;)]]

• Aside from Bernard Herrmann I would pick:

1. Close Encounters (or Empire Strikes Back): John Williams

2. Alien 3 (or Final Fantasy): Elliot Goldenthal

3. Basic Instinct: Jerry Goldsmith

• 1. Harry Potter & the prisoner of askaban - John Williams
    2. Starwars (all of them) - John Williams
    3. The Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Oh, no Gabriel Yared fans around here? How come....

Possession, the english patient... just beautiful.

M

Actually I'm a big fan of Yareds - Never heard Possesion though. I really love his scores from The English Patient, Talented Mr. Riply, and what he almost scored for Troy - in fact his Troy score is one of the best scores in a long, long time. I'm sure it would have taken an oscar!

Hmmm... 3 favorite scores? Thats really tough.

- Shindlers List
    - Conan the Barbarian
    - A Beautiful Mind

Atleast those are the ones I'm thinking of now.

• My absolutely favourits:

- Obsession by Bernard Herrmann
    - Legend by Jerry Goldsmith
    - E.T. by John Williams

• Speaking of Gabriel Yared, is the rejected Troy score available for purchase? I heard that music too (when it was on his website) and think that it could very well be his best work.

There was a rumor it would be released somehow so here's hoping...

Clark

And another of my faves: Signs from JNH

• last edited
    last edited

@clarkcontrol said:

Speaking of Gabriel Yared, is the rejected Troy score available for purchase? I heard that music too (when it was on his website) and think that it could very well be his best work.

There was a rumor it would be released somehow so here's hoping...

Clark

And another of my faves: Signs from JNH

I did never find out where to get the troy music by Yared. I was told that it is very authentical (unlike the film [6] he even recorded bulgarian choirs for it ...).
    My favorites are (besides Yared [:)]):
    Russia House /Jerry Goldsmith
    Malena /Ennio Morricone
    7 years in Tibet /John Williams

• I'm glad to see someone else who holds 'Seven Years In Tibet' in high regard. It was such a mediocre movie. But I love the score - especially the melody of that main theme!

Fred Story

• Oh yeah!
    And the Cello playing of YoYo Ma...........*sigh*, the incredible sound if this instrument.......mmmmh

[:D]