Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,753 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,368 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 70 new user(s).

• Just read a rummor (AppleInsider) that the new Mac Pro will use Intel Xeon processors dual core and the Intel 5000 chipset.

The processor suppots 64 bit extensions and the chipset up to 64 Gb RAM. I also understand that Motu and Lynx released 64 bit drivers for their audio cards.

Thus, the question is if we can take advantage of large RAMS either in Windows 64 or in OSX when VI is still a 32 bit program?

Regards,

• RJ, I think we're saying pretty much the same thing, but with different words. It's true that a single 32-bit process (machine in your case) on 32-bit system is unable to use more than 3GB, but the machine itself (in my case) is able to address 4GB. Out of the 4GB 1GB is locked away for system use though.

Sorry to say I have no magic formula... [:)]

/Mattias

• I'd be happy if I could get just get the /3Gb switch working - at least
    that increases available memory by 1 Gb.
    Later a fullblown 64-bit platform might come handy.

Mattias - did you get a chance to look at the boot.ini and system info I posted earlier?

• last edited
    last edited

@Sapkiller said:

I'd be happy if I could get just get the /3Gb switch working - at least
    that increases available memory by 1 Gb.
    Later a fullblown 64-bit platform might come handy.

Mattias - did you get a chance to look at the boot.ini and system info I posted earlier?

Exactly my same issue. If I could just get 2.8 loaded on that PC - that would be great. It sure has made a difference on all my other PC's (having the ability to have 2.8 gig of ram loaded.)

Thanks Mattias for any help you can offer us.

Rob

• Sapkiller - did you ever get your Daw working with the 3 gb switch? I still cannot here. Very strange that this will not work on my main Daw while working on my four PC slaves (running VI)??

Mattias - any possible solution?

Rob

• hi Rob
    No - I haven't tried anything new.
    I was kind of hoping, Matthias had some suggetions.

But - hey you managed to pull of your composealotwithoutsleep project
    anyway [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Sapkiller said:

hi Rob
    No - I haven't tried anything new.
    I was kind of hoping, Matthias had some suggetions.

But - hey you managed to pull of your composealotwithoutsleep project
    anyway [:D]

Yea - honestly, couldn't have done it without two things

1. VI
    2. Mattias' - 3 gb switch on the slaves (didn't have to load up constantly - everything was right there.)

Interesting how a project this big, fast and furious will 'stretch' you to do things more efficiently.

The only challenge was this 'main Daw' in question. I had to do a lot of 'freezing' and 'unfreezing' because I could only load 1.8 gig of ram on that machine before it would crash.

Really hoping Mattias' large brain can figure this out for both of us [[;)]]

Rob

• Hi Rob
    I just got the 3 gb switch working.
    It was a bios feature called wrap around memory holes that needs to be enabled.
    I don't know if this will solve your issue too - but have a look at it if
    your bios has such a feature.

My mobo is a ASUS and the feature is in the:
    Advanced section->Chipset->Northbridge configuration->Memory config.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sapkiller said:

Hi Rob
    I just got the 3 gb switch working.
    It was a bios feature called wrap around memory holes that needs to be enabled.
    I don't know if this will solve your issue too - but have a look at it if
    your bios has such a feature.

My mobo is a ASUS and the feature is in the:
    Advanced section->Chipset->Northbridge configuration->Memory config.

I don't think I remember that option but tomorrow I will for sure look. Many thanks.

Rob

• In do NOT haved this option in Advance/chipset. I think you are right though - it could be just as simple as something needing to be turner on in BIOS.

Any ideas from anyone on what to look for in BIOS?

Rob

• To bad it was'nt the same issue.
    What Mobo and Bios do you use for your main daw?

• Hey Sapkiller - you put me down the RIGHT path on this. In my BIOS - Advance/chipset I had an option 'Hyper Path 3'. It was on 'auto' and I put that to 'enabled' and now can load 2.8 mb of samples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All seems stable.

It was a wild quess but it work out. Thanks so much for your help and hints.

Hope this helps someone else out. Having these five PCs (loaded with 2.8 mb of VI samples has MADE the difference in turning around work as fast as most the Directors I work with.)

On this fast project I just finished, there was a major edit - after LOCK that I had to rescore. I had the Director in my studio looking over my shoulder (that is how tight the schedule was). Fortunately I had the right template (with enough sonic options) and we knocked it out fast.

Thanks Mattias to you as well for getting all this started.

Rob

• Great to hear it worked out for you as well [:D]

• Ah, great to see you're making progress guys! [:)] I've been totally, and I mean totally, soaked up in work and family life that I haven't even been able to stay current with what's going on over here for a month or so now. BIOS switches similar to the ones you've found is obviously something to look out for...

/Mattias

• last edited
    last edited

@Mattias Henningson said:

Ah, great to see you're making progress guys! [:)] I've been totally, and I mean totally, soaked up in work and family life that I haven't even been able to stay current with what's going on over here for a month or so now. BIOS switches similar to the ones you've found is obviously something to look out for...

/Mattias

Thanks Mattias - no problem - it is really grand to have these machines all on 3 gb switches!!!!!!!!!

• Hello, I began using the VI and found this board. I have 4 GB in my PC and am using forte as my host. It would see 2.7 GB of free ram, but after I loaded a few instances (3) it would crash, so I followed the instructions on the thread to enable the 3 GB switch. Windows started like a new install and said I didn't have liscences for any of my VSTs and then forte wouldn't start.

So, took out the 3gb option and went as before. Now Forte will open, but when i try to load a VI, it just crashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and hopefully as I figure these out, I can return the favor.

Many thanks,

Chris Lennertz

• Hi Chris
    I have no knowledge or experience with Forte, but did you use Mathias's Laatido program to enable large address awareness on Forte?
    Not all programs can be enabled this way and it can get tricky when
    you try to do it on programs not suited for LAA.

• We have a windows xp sp2 desktop with the latest version of Forte and 4 Gigs of RAM

Audio interface is the Tascam Firewire 1884

Main plugin we are using in Forte is the new Vienna Instruments

Forte says it sees 3 Gigs of RAM available (the actual amount XP sees is 3.62 Gigs)

CONSISTENTLY Forte will completely crash and altogether quit whenever the amount of samples loaded exceeds 1 gig of RAM

It is completely repeatable every time. Can anybody help with this?

We followed the instructions exactly for using the 3GB switch so windows can let other programs use more RAM, and afterward cannot fully boot windows when selecting that 3GB upon startup.

Here is the error we get:

Windows can not create a temporary profile directory. This may be caused by insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Then you hit OK and it then says:

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And after that you can see the user but if you try to select it to log in, it brings you right back to the error message.

So that you guys know, the motherboard we are using in this machine is the ASUS P4C-800E Deluxe.

This morning we updated the BIOS to the most recent version before attempting the 3GB switch.

Still no luck.

Can anyone help?

• Hi
    here's some suggestions for you to check out.

Did you follow the pc optimization guide for DAWs - and most importantly did you turn of fast user switching? ( Control panel -> user accounts -> change the way users log on and off )

Maybe Forte is unable to be Large Address Aware, in which case running the LAA program to change the Forte configuration will mess it up.
    In that case I think you should "de-LAA" Forte.

• Hmmm...

It says that it is LAA, but...if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. It still crashes.

Thanks,

CL