Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,379 users have contributed to 42,295 threads and 255,061 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Yes, you're right about that, DG. No real alternative. That's why we will be using VSL products! However, I still think that the market size severely limits the kind of innovation that we need. VSL does a hell of a job innovating, under these conditions, but it hardly seems sustainable as a business. We'll have to wait and see what happens over the coming years.

- Paul

• [:'(]
    the worst case scenario is VSL being bought by some monster company like sony or autodesk then we're screwed

• last edited
    last edited

@mike harper said:

[:'(]
    the worst case scenario is VSL being bought by some monster company like sony or autodesk then we're screwed

That my friend, it most likely. All we can hope for is that the new owners have vision. I am sure that Herb feels this is his 'baby' but at some point (euros offered) you just cannot walk away from opportunity. To think otherwise would be naive on our part.

VSL is here today - helping us all charge our clients as much as possible. I really don't even care what will be on the horizon in 8-12 months - I have music to wirte now. And from my perspective VSL gives me the best tools to do so - now.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@mike harper said:

[:'(]

Don't be afraid [:)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Don't think there's much danger of that somehow....

• last edited
    last edited

@RedLeicester said:

Don't think there's much danger of that somehow....

I agree, in the end everything will be owned by Microsoft anyways.

R

• Let me assure you: All existing Horizon Series libraries as well as the Pro Edition will remain on the market.
    Best wishes, Martin

• last edited
    last edited

@RedLeicester said:

Don't think there's much danger of that somehow....

I agree, in the end everything will be owned by Microsoft anyways.

R

the truth is that Apple will win the race. [:D]
    You know that it's not always Goliath that is gonna win [;)]

• And as soon as some bright fellow programs a great DAW for Linux with both VST/AU compatability, with everything working, and compatible audio hardware, then we'll all be looking at that.

I don't know the limitations of Linux, but after reading hundreds of comments and articles for the past few years, i'm fairly sure a Linux Midi/Audio/video everything package would seriously damage the opposition just based on general resentment and continual dissatisfaction!

Regards,

Alex.

[H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin said:

Let me assure you: All existing Horizon Series libraries as well as the Pro Edition will remain on the market.
    Best wishes, Martin

I am very happy to hear that. [:)]

• Funny, I just posted something about this subject in another thread...

I only hope that the sample-translation companies (edit - Translator Pro, CDXtract, Kontakt, Halion, etc) can manage translation of the Vienna Instrument sets... it would be a shame (as I posted over there, two seconds ago) for VSL to be absolutely proprietary, with no application outside of their own instruments. Integration's nice, but there are other samplers that are very much worth using, and completely proprietary systems can become a royal pain in the a**... (read: Protools and the idea of "support" -- which, I suppose, is actually a euphemism! (edit 2 -- or maybe more of an oxymoron...))

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Martin said:

Let me assure you: All existing Horizon Series libraries as well as the Pro Edition will remain on the market.
    Best wishes, Martin

But what I'm wondering about is new content. I guess the real question would be whether or not other samplers will be supported with new releases of sample content -- i.e., will there be something like a Horizon Solo Strings 2, with the new content?

J.

• We support all existing products like they are now, but a lot of the additional samples simply doesn´t make any sense without Vienna Instruments, so there will be no Solo Strings 2.

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • long, low, gutteral growl, with just a touch of fang showing...

I guess I understand. Bit of a bummer, though.

J.

• Jbm,
    There is a bright side though. For that brief solo within the orchestra, you could use your current solo product.
    And for that killer Bruch violin concerto type sound the new VI solo instrument could really give your work a lift, and set it above others!

Regards,

Alex.

• paulhenrysmith, that was an exceptional post.

We are in a world of downward affiliation. Logic is forced to the masses (Garageband). Sampler orchestras are being thinned and popularized (Garritan Orchestral Library). Once exclusive equipment is being broadened (Pro Tools HD). This is more than technology -- it is a deliberate market strategy aimed to lower level users, a market not of professional need, but of discretionary income.

And VI is a definitive step away from all of the above.

Trouble is, it's the great unwashed (or perhaps, the less washed) who tend to post here.

I don't imagine many A list composers or production houses are eager to log on to this forum and talk to Plowman. But I do imagine A list composers and production houses will uniformly acquire VI because its ease of use is, for them, a necessity.

And the consequent of these truths is, the hew and cry from the forum is loud but not resonant, obvious but not representative of the core customer. I didn't say the loyal customer, the supportive or vocal customer, the helpful and perceptive customer who contributes so often here. I said the core customers, folks who are generally invisible to our discussions.

For this shining moment, VSL has no peer. VSL knows it, and that's why the price is what it is. paulhenrysmith is absolutely right: this is a business model. And it's a very shrewd model. It would have been shrewd even if the Symphonic Cube was just more samples. Now add to it a proprietary engine that further inhibits the theft of sounds. And tack on an implicit reward for first time users.

What irony. As jbm comments on the obsolescence of samples, we are reminded that we'll never have to pay for the same sample twice. No... I guess we won't.

The technology is the future. The business model is as old as gold.

• Lets talk about A list composers without mentioning names....most of them (at least here in LA) do NOT use VSL...they are in the nice position of recording every score with a real orchestra - so the mockups need to sound good enough for the producers/director to approve ...for that, you don't need VSL.

I know of a specific one that works off of one G5 with its custom Orch library (total of 10GB) - no VSL, no SISS, no EastWest...the reasoning - they are all too big and would need multiple computers to run on, he doesn't like the hassle and desires to work on one machine...most scores can be realized with a few patches per instrument group - the producers don't hear the difference between the legato tool or simply an old fashioned played in string line (because they listen for the score and how it supports their drama) - or lets say, they might hear the difference but it is not crucial - crucial is if the music works or not so its a different kind of listening...its not "is that real or not ??"

the new VI is therefore not aimed at that audience....but aimed at those (or should be aimed) who work on TVshows/Jingles/low budget movies/low budget videogames/Cartoons and don't get to record their music with real cats and have to provide real sounding material.

Pricing should be accordingly.

• Alas!!!!!! Thor,... Someone who recognizes what's going on and articulated it better than I or anyone else for that matter.

Most A list composers and orchestrators I know don't use VSL. I can verify that.

I'm Gone, For real this time.

• Plowman,

This "downward affiliation" you speak of is an excellent way to phrase it. I find that the entire music industry is shrinking in production value, wanting content for rock-bottom prices. From a writer's standpoint I can't seem to charge what I believe I'm worth because:

1. Producers know that we can do more with less and do it faster. The tools are cheaper than ever before so they offer us less and we can take it or leave it. I interviewed for some work for Funimation (the Dragonball-Z guys) and it was pathetic to hear their terms. I know one of the guys doing music for them and it is truly sweat shop conditions.

2. I can turn out a better product with VSL but it doesn't matter because some guy with GPO will low-ball me on turn-around time as well as price. They get the gig because the guys in charge know that the difference in quality doesn't matter. The guy I just mentioned above thought that my stuff sounded fantastic but he would never use VSL because it was so clunky next to his older (and much cheaper) samples.

Very frustrating.

Clark

• I like to think of VSL as in the midst of a pole-vault. Right now, they've just let go of the pole and are soaring upward. Spanning the gulf between the low-quality, sweatshop music produced with samples and the high end A-listers that simply MUST use real orchestras.

Soon, VSL will be over the bar ... and the A list guys who have been avoiding VSL and using real orchestras will find themselves out on a limb without the talent or experience to get the music done with VSL. On a limb because their bosses will begin to realize that they can save a lot of money (be more profitable) by getting the same or better musical performance for their films using a VSL-powered orchestra, paying a lot less money.

The mad scramble when that occurs will include those A listers frantically boning up on VSL while at the same time dissing it as loudly as possible to their bosses. (Expect unions to weigh in against VSL, too.) And us VSL "experts" swooping in to do the work ... and make films more profitable (even if only by a wee amount, right guys?) ... Of course, you know that the A-listers ARE actually boning up on VSL now, because they know what's coming. They're just not ready to admit it

It will be very interesting, no doubt.

Just as we complain about the crappy production values of those using GPO for TV music, those A listers will complain similarly about the VSL users when they start to dominate the orchestral flim music market.

I look forward to watching the debacle/triumph/whatever over the next 8 months.

- Paul Smith