Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,571 users have contributed to 42,748 threads and 257,190 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• In Synchron percussion the main triangle hits don't make sense for triangle playing

Basic triangle playing is with an laissez vibrer technique.

There is no sample here in the triangles that represents that.

Like a cymbal, the basic hit on a triangle should ring.

The main technique used on middle C here is "Open", which does not ring unimpeded after striking the note.

It decays quickly after releasing the note-off is received.

There should be a sample which is not prematurely cut off after the note-off message to represent properly this essential method of playing the triangle.

• Hello!

The triangle open hits are faded out softly after the key release. To let them ring, simply hold the key.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • @andi said:

Hello!

The triangle open hits are faded out softly after the key release. To let them ring, simply hold the key.

Best regards,
    Andi

I don't quite think you understand my post here.

The matter I am referring to is the playing technique involved to play a triangle.

The basic technique of triangle playing is represented incorrectly in this library.

A player strikes the triangle and like a cymbal, the triangle rings.

The method as you describe is not inherent to the act of playing the triangle.

If you are playing using MIDI drum pads for instance, the reaction to a stick hit should be like a cymbal:

You strike the pad assigned to the sound and a note on message occurs, briefly followed by a note off.

For a realistic playback, the cymbal is not artificially diminished in amplitude by a volume fade trigger by a note off.

It should sustain at the original volume through the sample length.

The same for the triangle.

One can increase the release of on the sampler to 127, and the triangle will ring, but then you sacrifice the "RS" sample as that no longer works as intended.

The stopped, "RS" samples are for a different technique, both of which need to be represented for the common/basic use case scenarios of these instruments.

I have noticed the same issue in the vibraslap.

The "Open" hits have a premature fade applied to them.

If you test them out, go in and play an open hit using the default release of 64,

then increase the release to 127.

There is a noticeable difference in the response, and the former clearly has an artificial fade applied.

Essentially, to be more correct in approach in matching actual playing technique and realistic sounding response, the open hits on these instruments need to sustain completely after being struck regardless of the timing of the following note off. The note off message timing should not effect the release time in any way for open/laissez vibrer samples, only for the "RS"/stopped samples.

• @VirtualVirgin said:
    The method as you describe is not inherent to the act of playing the triangle.

Sorry, I meant to say

"The method as you describe is not inherent to the act of playing the triangle laissez vibrer technique."

• Hello again!

I know what you mean, but I'm sorry to say that I disagree. The mapping is as it is intentionally.
    If the sample would always ring to it's end, then you couldn't make it stop. It would need streaming performance for a long time, even though in most cases it will not be needed. The way as it is now, you have all options, simply keep the key pressed as long as you want. Another option you have for a long sustain, is pressing the sustain pedal and hitting the key shortly.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library