Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,680 users have contributed to 42,404 threads and 255,564 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• In another thread one of VSL's team said the following:

Hi Lev!

Yes, you can run VE Pro 7 on an M1 Mac. The AU plugin (Logic) does not require Rosetta Mode.

Best regards,
    Andreas

Can someone test this? Does this actually mean that the AU plugin (and hopefully VST3 plugin) HAVE indeed been made Apple Silicon native already? That would be amazing as I only use a Mac as my DAW and all my VEP machines are Windows

• last edited
    last edited

@bobulusbillman said:

Can someone test this? Does this actually mean that the AU plugin (and hopefully VST3 plugin) HAVE indeed been made Apple Silicon native already? That would be amazing as I only use a Mac as my DAW and all my VEP machines are Windows

No. Logic uses a wrapper of sorts. The plugin still runs in Rosetta emulation.

Most of the pro users are just like you. We just need the plugins to be native, yet we have all been waiting for years and counting.

• It's astonishing that it still doesn't work.  Fortunately, I've discovered my Mac Studio Ultra doesn't need it - but all the old sessions that rely on VEP sort of work w Rosetta (Pro Tools 2023 / HD) BUT... the VEP plugin itself is the only plugin that makes this monster machine choke. I can get it to work well enough.  When I do I QUICKLY commit those tracks to audio but... Damn!  VEP was one of the most brilliant and useful plugins on earth.  Now?  
    Just astonishing!
    BTW, I would still use it if it worked.  And I would buy upgrades.  

• I think your sales team needs to have a talk with your dev team. It's remarkably deaf of you to send out a "sale" event on VEP7 today, knowing the depth of frustration that your users have had about this product for over two years and waiting. And not even a word about a free upgrade path for all the people you might dupe into buying this version if and when silicon support ever happens. Nor is there any disclaimer (certainly warranted) that it is not native. Shame on VSL. 

• Could be a sign silicon is about ready, I hope. I'm happy to see they're VEP 7 licenses not VEP 8.

Vinny 2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB/ Mac OS Sonoma/ VEP7/ Mir 3D/ Synchronized SE1/ Synchron Harp/ V Smart Orch.+ Ext./ BBO Altair/ Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Analog Lab
  • I'm really curious about the holdup here. Checking this thread every now and then because after switching my intel mac for an M2 max my setup became quite useless. Running VEP7 on a slave PC. It's clicks pops en cracks alle the time. I am just an amateur so it is holding me back in having fun making music. Just thinking about all the professionals out here who depend on this software making a living out of it.

I really hope an update making silicon native is near. If that means a VEP8 all VEP7 should get a free update after this period.

I do understand that fundamental system upgrades (from apple) have a significant effect and need time to adapt to in terms of development. But as silicon (M1) was introduced in november 2020 we can clearly state VSL is seriously falling behind here.

It seems to me that now is the time for VSL to clarify a release date so that all users know where they stand.

• I saw that as well, people should contact Ilio and let their voice be heard. I run a film scoring academy and Ive advised my students to wait on vienna ensemble upgrades. This is probably the worst company Ive run across for being up to date, as well as really poor communication. Hopefully it will be soon. Rosetta really sucks. 

• last edited
    last edited

@MarkkraM said:

I'm really curious about the holdup here. Checking this thread every now and then because after switching my intel mac for an M2 max my setup became quite useless. Running VEP7 on a slave PC. It's clicks pops en cracks alle the time. I am just an amateur so it is holding me back in having fun making music. Just thinking about all the professionals out here who depend on this software making a living out of it.

I really hope an update making silicon native is near. If that means a VEP8 all VEP7 should get a free update after this period.

I do understand that fundamental system upgrades (from apple) have a significant effect and need time to adapt to in terms of development. But as silicon (M1) was introduced in november 2020 we can clearly state VSL is seriously falling behind here.

It seems to me that now is the time for VSL to clarify a release date so that all users know where they stand.

M1 was shown to the world and offered to developers (so they could get started updating their software to run on it) in June of 2020. That's when all music software companies started updating their code for the new Apple chips.

Nobody missed this moment - it was big news even in non-tech circles. So it's legitimately been three full years. 

M1 was opened to the public for download and usage in November of 2020.

• last edited
    last edited

@shmimpton said:

M1 was shown to the world and offered to developers (so they could get started updating their software to run on it) in June of 2020. That's when all music software companies started updating their code for the new Apple chips. 

Nobody missed this moment - it was big news even in non-tech circles. So it's legitimately been three full years. 

VSL has nothing to gain, money wise, this is probably why M1 native version is last on the pile !

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • last edited
    last edited

@shmimpton said:

VSL has nothing to gain, money wise, this is probably why M1 native version is last on the pile !

I'm not sure that's correct.  I would have happily paid for an updated bridge plugin 6 month to a year ago.  Not to mention this could be a paid upgrade when it comes out.  We don't know yet.  Also as discussed several times on this forum, people are looking/moving to other software.  So VSL is loosing customers over this.

• last edited
    last edited

Native M1 transition was announced on March 1st by Paul Kopf-Product Manager

The announced roadmap order was :
    - Synchron player (released March 1st)
    -Synchron Piano (released March 14)
    - MirPro 3D (released March 30)
    - AND THEN Vienna ensemble Pro

What happened during last 3 months ?????
    Did Vienna decided to change the roadmap ???
    Does everyone from Vienna are in Hollidays????
    did Paul lies to us ???

I'm desperately consulting this forum everyday since months and nothing happened. M1/M2 computers are able to get the workload without Vienna ensemble Pro for most of projects, but Vienna Ensemble Pro is a tremendous time saver when switching projects and I need it !!!

Vienna crew : please COMMUNICATE !!!!!

• Andddddd another week bites the dust....

• Paul,

Can you please run through the steps to start a Rosetta version of VEPro? I assume there is just a VEPro version labeled as such that you download, then start, open your DAW and then Connect to your software ( Dorico in my case). But then, as you fill in mixer slots on Rosetta VEPro, do you use a special, Rosetta version of VIPro as well, as your sample player within VEPro?  My OSX is now 10.15,  Catalina — looking at getting an M2

I’m getting confused. 

Steve

• last edited
    last edited

@Ege said:

Paul,

Can you please run through the steps to start a Rosetta version of VEPro? I assume there is just a VEPro version labeled as such that you download, then start, open your DAW and then Connect to your software ( Dorico in my case). But then, as you fill in mixer slots on Rosetta VEPro, do you use a special, Rosetta version of VIPro as well, as your sample player within VEPro?  My OSX is now 10.15,  Catalina — looking at getting an M2

I’m getting confused. 

Steve

You're on an Intel Mac, Steve so you're good to go. The Intel Mac version of VEP is all there is currently (and why the M1&2 users in this thread are becoming increasingly irritated) Rosetta is a workaround so Apple Silicon Mac's can run (in a convoluted, diminished fashion) old Intel coded apps like VEP is currently. It is irrelevant to Intel Macs. However, per all the the irritation in this thread, I'd wait until there's an Apple Silicon native version of VEP before getting the M2 if VEP is a crucial part of your workflow. ...lest you become one of the irritated. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Dan Wool said:

Rosetta is a workaround so Apple Silicon Mac's can run (in a convoluted, diminished fashion) old Intel coded apps like VEP is currently.

This. And even more frustratingly, VEP kidnaps most DAWs and plugins and forces them to run in Rosetta, although they have been native for years at this point...

Deep sigh...

• Any good news? Please communicate with us.

• Thx, Dan. The clouds have parted. S. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Davka said:

Any good news? Please communicate with us.

Don't hold your breath...

• And another one gone, and another one gone.  Another week bites the dust...

• @rockdude9k said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316927):
    And another one gone, and another one gone. Another week bites the dust...
    Too true. I think the simple reality is there is a problem. This isn’t releasing this year and quite possibly isn’t releasing ever. If it was they’d say something.