Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,341 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,052 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Dear William,

you obviously did not even spend the 5 minutes to download the demo, load a preset and simply play these sounds, otherwise you would not write something about a "proprietary player". As the name suggests, Articulate Presets are simply presets/matrices for VI pro (which is indeed a perfect software, otherwise we would and could not have done this, so there at least seems to be something we can agree on 😊)

I clearly wrote (even in the title) what we mean with the term "HD": "high definition with 9 velocity layers", which explains that we are referring to the dynamic resolution. In the case of digital video that you quote high definition refers to a larger number of pixels. When it comes to a sampled instrument there are obviously no pixels. Instead the two basic parameters that you can control on your keyboard are the pitch and velocity. While VSLs sounds are already chromatically sampled, a larger number of velocity layers - and correspondingly a finer resolution / higher definition - can be beneficial, as the VSL demonstrated with their pianos (in particular their Vienna Imperial with even up to 128 velocity layers). Providing playable matrices with an increased velocity resolution e.g. for the spiccato from 2 or 3 to 9, we found it appropriate to use the short term "HD" for these sounds. To distinguish them from the standard portato, staccato and spiccato, we used the term "SD", but did not suggest that these are in any way inferior. Quite the opposite, we made sure by painstaking volume matching that our matrices behave otherwise similarly and can be combined with the great standard potato, staccato and spiccato patches for even more variation and realism. 

I only posted here since Andreas from the VSL team encouraged me to do so. We are very open to any constructive criticism and suggestions. We have worked very hard to realize these over 100 new matrices with 9 velocity layers (as well as all the other features Articulate Presets offer). We did this because we love the Vienna Instruments libraries and the VI pro player. Our demo package includes several full-featured presets and matrices as well as all software integrations so that users can without restrictions check out every aspect before they make a purchase. We include all 5 independent in-depth manuals (one for the presets and one for each software integration) that explain every feature in detail. Our presets inherently do not implement any copy protection and everything is completely open, so our users can even easily adapt the presets and matrices to their needs. If you don't need any of this that's perfectly fine. But to suggest that this would be "proprietary" or we would be "trying to fool people in order to get sales" could not be further away from the truth.

Anyway, I wish you a nice day

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril Blanc said:

Hello

Just a silly question, when you use Synchron ... instruments, do they use also have repetitions patches ?

Thanks

Cyril

Hello Cyril,

in the Synchron libraries there are no dedicated repetition patches, but all repetitions are directly included in the other patches (e.g. legato) and are played automatically, which simplifies the handling.

All the best

Kai

• symphonic riot

The reason I am not too friendly is because of your deliberately acting like this is a new recording - if you look at your original post it sounds like more velocity layers have been recorded on short notes. Which I immediately realized is bullshit  because you couldn't even begin to do what VSL did in their original recordings.  So why don't you make that perfectly clear?  Obviously because you want some sales prior to people understanding what they are getting.     

Don't do this deceptive hype if you want people to be enthusiastic about your company or whatever it is.

• Dear Cyril,

Very happy to hear this! I have been using the Symphonic Cube and all its extensions since 2006, and it's been quite a while since I checked back here, simply because the possibilities in the original collection are already so vast. But if I understand well, these are new patches, not adding new recordings but using more of the sources from the original content, thus creating more possibilities in terms of velocities etc? So in other words: if I purchase this set, my original collection will get a serious boost?

Big thanks in advance, and please do keep up the good work:-)

Alex

• Hello Alex,

the underlying samples for these sounds are originally included in the repetition dynamics patches (e.g. perf-rep_cre9_por, ...). The latter are patches where whenever you trigger another repetition you get another dynamics level, so that you start with ppp and after the 9th repetition you end up with fff, or vice versa. The VSL made all the individual dynamic levels (from ppp to fff) individually available as separate patches in the Resource folder of (nearly) each library. We assembled these individual patches into matrices that are playable via velocity (or velocity X-fade) just like the standard portato, staccato and spiccato patches. We made sure that these HD Shorts behave very similarly to the standard versions: their minimum and maximum volumes as well as their velocity dependence are matched (i.e. you get about the same volume for the same Midi velocity), but their velocity resolution is higher (i.e. the gradual change of the sound with velocity is improved). Due to all this you can easily combine them with the standard patches. They generally have a distinct sound and thereby provide a clear alternative to vary the playback or even use both versions unisono. The HD Shorts do not offer automatic alternations (round-robins). Yet, being assembled from repetition (dynamics) samples they blend very well with the normal repetition patches and you can manually switch to them to even get nine distinct alternations.

The HD shorts are integrated into Articulate Presets, which are VI pro presets for each instrument that contain over hundred different matrices covering everything included in the corresponding VSL libraries. Each matrix covers another playing technique, yet these matrices do not consist of individual patches. Many offer "3D-control" and combine all available recorded versions for that playing technique and blend them to allow you to continuously change up to 3 different aspects of the sound.  

I hope all this makes it clearer. However, the simplest way to see what this is, how it works and if this is useful for you is simply to download the full-featured demo and play these sounds 😊. 

The demo package includes e.g. the "Cellos S" preset which covers all cello samples included in Solo and Chamber Strings 1 & 2. You can e.g. access all playing techniques (listed in the manual) by program change (PC) messages. Although you can surely also use them without this, to fully take advantage of the 3D-control you will need 3 physical controllers (knobs, faders, pedals, ...) that send Continuous Controller (CC) 2, 3 and 20, respectively. CC20 (Cell X-fade) generally always controls the "section size" (in this preset e.g. blending the Solo Cello and the Chamber Cellos). In the likewise included "Violins D" preset covering the Dimension Violas this controller dials the actual number of players and the auto-divisi feature automatically distributes the played notes among the different Dimension players. What the other two controllers do depends on the particular sound. It is likewise listed in the manual, but you can simply check it out what they control. E.g. for the first (sustained) playing technique CC2 controls the attack and CC3 the vibrato intensity. The new HD Shorts are accessed by PC 109-114 and offer the same continuous control as the corresponding SD matrices.

All the best

Kai

• Dear Kai, thank you so much for this most detailed answer, and all the trouble you took to explain this to me, very much appreciated! This goes straight to my "buy asap"-list:-) I am very happy that the VSL-team keeps improving this already unparalleled library, can't wait to try it out!

Warm regards,

Alex

• Hello Alex,

just to prevent any misunderstanding: Although the VSL team also still improves the VI series (e.g. with their recent VST3 version of VI pro), and hopefully will continue to do so in the future, this is not an official VSL product, but we are a third-party developer not affiliated with the VSL.

All the best

Kai

• As a Symphonic Cube owner, I am highly intrigued by this. So, is there a way a Pro Tools user, who run VE in standalone mode on separate machines, can get his to work?

Best,

Gaute

• Hello Gaute,

Articulate Presets are simply presets for VI pro and work with any Sequencer/DAW. If you can host VI pro in the Standalone VE on separate machines so far (i.e. the VI pro instances receive Midi from Pro Tools and the latter receives the audio), then this should definitely work. But to make sure you could just check it out with the demo presets.

All the best

Kai 

• last edited
    last edited

To give more Vienna Instruments series users the chance to check out the new HD Shorts with 9 velocity layers for the entire Symphonic Cube, we have added the Articulate Preset for the Trombone, containing the complete content of five full VSL libraries, to the comprehensive Articulate Presets Demo Content.

Thereby, the full-featured demo contains now four complete Articulate Presets: the Cello, the Dimension Violas, the Trombone and the Second Flute. Moreover it includes the complete integration into all supported Music Applications: Logic, Dorico, Cubase & Studio One.