Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,362 users have contributed to 42,391 threads and 255,496 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 70 new user(s).

• Oh, I just create two or three VE Pro instances with the same Venue in MIR Pro but with a different reverberation time. I noticed that some instruments sound better with a smaller amount of reverberation time than others, at least to my ears. So that's why I said it would be easier if we could change the reverberation time for each icon. But I don't know much about mixing, I'm not an expert at all. Have a nice day.

Best,
    David

• That sounds reasonable. I think the "tabbed" Venues are exactly what you need then. 

... another approach is to add different types of "sweeting" reverb to enhance different sections in specific ways. That's how it's done on real recordings, where all the players are actually sitting in the same room at the same time.

Your solution makes better use of the possibilities offered by the virtual world, of course. :.)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Oh yes, I use MIRacle a lot. Thanks for your reply Dietz.

Best,
    David

• So, does this mean more than two microphone positions, or should we say, speaker positions? The biggest limitation of MIR to my ears is the lack of stereo field from the ambient microphones and the inability to have a more realistic approach to capturing what an orchestra sounds like both in the room while still capturing a more intimate sound from an instrument.

For this reason, I typically have to use two to three recordings and merge the audio, and mix carefully (two microphones, one at the conductor location and one near the front of the room, the so-called 7th row microphone, another recording with two microphones at the left and right of the room about 1/3 of the way back starting from the front row of the audience, and a final stereo set of mics at the far back of the room on the back left and right walls).

I then mix this in 7.1, using the conductor location as the center, the 7th row also mixed in as center, and I eq the 7th row microphone to under 120 Hz as the sub, and the additional sets as the mid rears and rears. Maybe it's overkill, but the reason we are working with samples and impulse data is for ultra realism, ultra near perfection that is not possible in a live, one take recording.

• last edited
    last edited

@littlewierdo said:

So, does this mean more than two microphone positions, or should we say, speaker positions? [...]

I'm not sure I understood the question correctly. The positions of the microphones and the impulse-generating speakers in a recording venue are both very important, but they are by no means interchangeable.

Kind regards,

•  

Hi Dietz, 

I have a question about the new MIR 3D software release. As I understood reading this thread, is going to be a new an independent software with his own roompacks. 

I understand that MIR PRO is going to be also available separately with the roompacks that we already know. 

In my case, I only could afford Mirx with my VI Series instruments and I love it. With the Synchron series I lost the capacity to use The Sage Mirx in Synchron Player and for that reason I was waiting to reunite enough money to buy it, but I'm not sure If it would be better buy MIR 3D over MIR PRO. 

I understand that is going to be a taste thing, but I understand also that MIR 3D is going to be the future in positioning, so, in your expert opinion about audio standards and If you could pick only one of them, which would you choose?

Thanks and sorry for the long question!

Antonio Z

• MIR 3D will replace MIR Pro, that's for sure. I don't know about plans to integrate MIRx with Synchron Player (... which doesn't mean that it won't happen at all). In any case, it is quite obvious that the idea of "burnt-in" spatial information, on which VSL's Synchron series is based, requires different workflows and different tools.

Best,

•  

Thanks for your response Dietz, 

So in this case I can wait until the release of MIR 3D. What I really like about Mirx is that I don't have to think much about the positioning and I can focus in composing.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Cheers!

• Any news here? Release anytime soon?

• We work on it day in, day out right now. ;-)

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

We work on it day in, day out right now. ;-)

thank you for keeping your supporters base informed and the hope alive 😊

Is the new platform still including a plug-in version, to support DAWs beside VEP?

(as I wrote in the other post I really want to get rid of my eLicenser for using MIR, and I will for sure upgrade to MIR 3D from day one, if price will be reasonable)

• last edited
    last edited

@fatis12_24918 said:

[...] Is the new platform still including a plug-in version, to support DAWs beside VEP? [...]

I've been asked to stop talking in detail about products that haven't been released yet, but I think it's safe to say that this won't change, in principle. 8-)

• last edited
    last edited

Well, understandable position of product management is to avoid premature communication.

(I hope your boss wasn't too nervous about that LOL)

Anyway we may say you got some positive effects as well, because often you represent the VSL brand at the best of friendly professionalism, and that's a goal for anybody in business.

On the other side, being MIR a flagship product and at the time being, quite outdated, any hope and good news about updates and successor are quite welcome from a PR and commercial point of view as well ðŸ˜‡

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks for your kind words!

@fatis12_24918 said:

[....] (I hope your boss wasn't too nervous about that LOL)[...]

😄 ... I'm not completely sure, but considering that Herb Tucmandl (our "boss") and I have been friends for more than 30 years now, I have high hopes that we will come through this unscathed, too. 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@fatis12_24918 said:

you got some positive effects as well, because often you represent the VSL brand at the best of friendly professionalism, and that's a goal for anybody in business.

I second this.  Dietz, you've been extremely helpful, patient, and considerate to not just myself but all MIR users in understanding the nuts and bolts of the software.  Thank you so much for that.  I'm sure we'll all be asking you the same two or three questions over and over again once MIR 3D comes out ðŸ˜ƒ  I look forward to it!

• last edited
    last edited

Thanks for the kind words.

@Another User said:

I look forward to it!

So do I. 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@fatis12_24918 said:

[...] Is the new platform still including a plug-in version, to support DAWs beside VEP? [...]

I've been asked to stop talking in detail about products that haven't been released yet, but I think it's safe to say that this won't change, in principle. 8-)

This was going to be my question as well. Big additional vote for continuing with the DAW plug-in option!! That's the only way I use MIR Pro (I do so in DP) for various reasons.

Thanks,

Peter

• Hey guys!

I'm just setting up my studio with an atmos rig, so MIR 3D could not be more anticipated!
    Until then though, do you guys have any tips on how you're using MIR Pro in an atmos context currently? I can imagine there are many ways to use it creatively. Would be nice to hear from anyone with experience how you've used it!

• Hi Rasmus,

thanks for your interest in MIR (3D!)! :-)

I used several approaches for both Auro 3D and ATMOS in MIR Pro. The most obvious one: Use the main microphone for the lower "bed" and add a second pass to your mix from another (preferably more elevated, most likely "wet only") microphone position in the same Venue. Typical example: The monastery church of Pernegg, where Mic 4 is high above the others. - Truth be told, I've even successfully used a mic a few feet behind the main mic (without elevation) for the top layer. 8-)

Another quick'n'dirty solution is to use a 3rd-party upmixer (such as Nugen's HALO) to virtually create the missing channels for the top layer.

... but don't despair - an actual solution for these (and many other) questions is on its way. :-)

Best,

• Tried to upgrade this morning from MIR 24 to MIR PRO and, oooops, not possible any longer! :)