Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,362 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,498 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 65 new user(s).

• I want to congratulate VSL on what proved for me to be a fairly easy, successful transition from eLicenser to iLok. It was a two-day project because of my provider's slow internet speeds but also because I wanted to babysit the parceling out of installations to particular SSD's, so I did no overnight fire-and-forget downloads.

Great job by VSL, and I like the Vienna Assistant.

Hobbyist ... Sy Woods, Brass, Perc I, Str Pro, Elite Str, Duality Str & Sordino, Prime ... Sy-ized Woods, Perc, Solo Str, Ch Str, App Str, Harps, Choir, Dim Brass, Dim Strings ... VE Pro, MIR Pro 3D, Vienna Suite Pro ... Cubase 12, Studio One 6, Dorico 5
  • I just got my transition email today.  Will have several days of downloading to do, but so far its going very smoothly and I have to say I'm quite impressed with the Vienna Assistant...this will be a much much nicer way to keep on top of updates and download VSL products.  It also helps me to understand what I don't own, which I'm not sure is good for me, hahaha, but anyway, just want to say, nicely done....this is a very thorough changeover, well done VSL. 

I'm also very happy to read that iLok will no longer require the license protection plan...this is a very very welcome change also.

Well done VSL.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dewdman42 said:

I just got my transition email today.  Will have several days of downloading to do, but so far its going very smoothly and I have to say I'm quite impressed with the Vienna Assistant...this will be a much much nicer way to keep on top of updates and download VSL products.  It also helps me to understand what I don't own, which I'm not sure is good for me, hahaha, but anyway, just want to say, nicely done....this is a very thorough changeover, well done VSL. 

I'm also very happy to read that iLok will no longer require the license protection plan...this is a very very welcome change also.

Well done VSL.

I don't recall Vienna requiring a license protection plan for the Vienna Key - that was always optional. And iLok never required a license protection plan. The ZDT on iLok is completely optional as well but if you value your investment in software it's the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy at $30 US per year. I have 2 iLoks and each has their own ZDT coverage.

• Just got my first update notification in Vienna Assistant. Really appreciate not having to check MyDownloads to find out if there are any updates.

Hobbyist ... Sy Woods, Brass, Perc I, Str Pro, Elite Str, Duality Str & Sordino, Prime ... Sy-ized Woods, Perc, Solo Str, Ch Str, App Str, Harps, Choir, Dim Brass, Dim Strings ... VE Pro, MIR Pro 3D, Vienna Suite Pro ... Cubase 12, Studio One 6, Dorico 5
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

That shouldn't be the case, transition should be automatic.
    Please check that VI Pro shows up in Logic's Plug-in Manager (maybe you need to validate it manually). 

If that's not the case: Can you please send us your project, so we can look into it? support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

I downloaded the new updates and I'm happy to say the transitions are now automatic. Thanks!  

• Hi everybody,

Thanks for the great feedback!

A new version of the Vienna Assistant is now available (restart it for automatic updates), with silent installation of all software products (and updates here as well).

Remember: We're just getting started!

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the great feedback!

A new version of the Vienna Assistant is now available (restart it for automatic updates), with silent installation of all software products (and updates here as well).

Remember: We're just getting started!

Best, 
    Paul

Is silent install supposed to be an option? If it is I don't see it. And I don't see an 'update all' selection - is there supposed to be one? Or do I just click on download/install for one and everything gets updated?

edit for additional:

This new Assistant version doesn't seem to be working right. I click on update and it starts downloading and then just sits there seemingly doing nothing. When I click on the OSX Dock I see an 'application not responding'.

• Hi, 

Silent installation is now included automatically.
    "Update all" is not integrated yet, you need to install each software individually for now. 

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

Silent installation is now included automatically.
    "Update all" is not integrated yet, you need to install each software individually for now. 

Best, 
    Paul

Thanks for the reply. Thankfully I had the downloaded installers as Vienna Assistant constantly froze/locked up requiring a 'force quit' in OSX..

• Any ide when a VST3 Apple Silicon version of VEP Pro 7 will arrive?

• Hi, 

No idea, but a lot of hope. 

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

Moving to iLok for those with 1 or 2 licenses is probably a good idea. BUT for those of us (such as large server studios) with many VEPro7 servers, the move is financially constraining and offers very little benefit in return.

Here a link to a thread I started on VSL today, concerning this issue: How long will eLicenser be supported + why spend £500 on new iLok dongles for zero benefits?

To solve this, VSL will need to provide networked iLok licensing, similar to that provided by Avid on iLok.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Ever since Vienna Assistant went to silent install I've been having issues with it. Running OSX 10.13.6. Sure it downloads each item as you click on it. If you then go to the page to install each download there's an activity indicator spinning in the Assistant gui and OSX puts up a windows asking for my system password to do the install and that's not the issue. The issue is the activity indicator just cycles and cycles and cycles and nothing gets installed. Or at least there's no indication that the install has been done. I end up having to force quit Vienna Assistant and manually install each update myself. Thankfully that works.

Also not a fan of the Vienna Assistant automatically updating itself. I've been bit too many times but something like this that installed an update my system couldn't use. Please go back to a system that allows one to update the Assistant if one wants to. And PLEASE fix the silent installer routine - it's broken.

Right now Vienna Assistant is only good for letting one know about updates and downloading them for those of us that aren't buying or authorizing anything.

• Hi musicman691, 

I hear such a report for the first time. 

Let's fix it! I'll try to find a machine with macOS 10.13.6 on it and will try to reproduce this. 

If you have any pointers for special settings on your system, please tell me, best directly and with screenshots: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi musicman691, 

I hear such a report for the first time. 

Let's fix it! I'll try to find a machine with macOS 10.13.6 on it and will try to reproduce this. 

If you have any pointers for special settings on your system, please tell me, best directly and with screenshots: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. There's no special settings on my machine. It's a 2012 MaPro with 3.46 GHz hex core cpu.

• Hi musicman691, 

Please confirm that you are working with Vienna Assistant 1.0.129 (lower left corner). 

I cannot reproduce this here.... It would be very good to have your screenshots illustrating your findings, also as "proof" for our developers: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi musicman691, 

Please confirm that you are working with Vienna Assistant 1.0.129 (lower left corner). 

I cannot reproduce this here.... It would be very good to have your screenshots illustrating your findings, also as "proof" for our developers: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Unfortunately I don't have anything that needs updating so I can't provide you with screenshots. What specific shots do you need/want? Can't show the activity monitor circling in the gui with a still shot and I don't have the ability to do a movie. I checked my security setting in OSX and I have it set to allow install from everywhere. And yes I am running 1.0.129.

Am surprised this can't be reproduced on your end. It's not just one time that it happened but everytime since the Assistant went to silent install. I've seen issues before with installers that do silent install on my machine; and thankfully those installers allow a choice of silent or regular install. I'm thinking given what I'm seeing that it's the silent install messing things up.

• Does one need to have licences activated on the ilok to be able to insure it (zero down time). I have none on there yet. It won't let me get past review order. I appreciate this isn't the right forum to ask this question but someone may know and if so, please help. the ilok site support steers me through some highly edited questions with nothing among them that might answer this.

I was hoping to insure the thing at the ready so when I try the transition insurance it's already done.

Thank you if you can help but if thought irrelevant, so be it.

• last edited
    last edited

@Firefrost said:

Does one need to have licences activated on the ilok to be able to insure it (zero down time). I have none on there yet. It won't let me get past review order. I appreciate this isn't the right forum to ask this question but someone may know and if so, please help. the ilok site support steers me through some highly edited questions with nothing among them that might answer this.

I was hoping to insure the thing at the ready so when I try the transition insurance it's already done.

Thank you if you can help but if thought irrelevant, so be it.

You need to have at least one license on the iLok in order to get ZDT. Otherwise there's nothing to insure except a piece of plastic and a circuit. What you could do is get another piece of inexpensive s/w that uses iLok and put that on the iLok and then go for ZDT. Why not just wait and get ZDT when you do the transition? Do you have any s/w that can use iLok - if so then put the license on said iLok.

• Thank you!