Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,204 users have contributed to 42,282 threads and 255,009 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 60 new user(s).

• +1.. This is getting seriously annoying now.

• Have you tried the very latest version of VE Pro? I have been using it for a little over a week now (since the day it was released). So far, no more problems (touch wood). Been loading multiple projects daily over the past 8 days since it's release and have not had this problem once so far. Hopefully it's a thing of the past. (Despite VI saying it was a Kontakt issue :)

• last edited
    last edited

"working on sample data cache" from Kontakt.

I get tired of waiting. I have to "force quit" VEP and Logic and reload everthing which takes a while when it works.
    The next reload, it usually doesn't happen, for a few times but it's getting annoying.

VEP version 6.0.16502

• Same issue here but only when there actually is stuff in Kontakt not the empty template: 

Here is what I do to make it load:

1. Right click the VEP icon in the dock and select QUIT

2. Hit cancel on the warning popup instead Quit

3. It starts loading. 

I can replicate this every single time without fail. It is VEP related. Sent a couple suggetions to tech support about this bug.

• I am SO sick of this time-sucking issue!  Where is the fix for this already?

• last edited
    last edited

@koassistant said:

Same issue here but only when there actually is stuff in Kontakt not the empty template: 

3. It starts loading. 

I can replicate this every single time without fail. It is VEP related. Sent a couple suggetions to tech support about this bug.

Yes, thank you. The first really usefull solution.

• Mojave Beta v4

Vienna Ensemble 6.0.17011

Kontakt 5.8.1

This issue is happening on my main machine and sample server machine, both iMac Pro.

All .nkm instruments load without "working on sample data cache" in Kontakt standalone or as an AU in DAW.

Is there a .plist to delete or something?

No workaround "bumps" Kontakt plug-in to start loading.

• Possible:

Issue only occurs when launching Vienna Ensemble server project frrom Finder

Does not occur if Vienna Ensemble Server is opened and Server project is selected from File>Open

?

• last edited
    last edited

@jcapple said:

Possible:

Issue only occurs when launching Vienna Ensemble server project frrom Finder

Does not occur if Vienna Ensemble Server is opened and Server project is selected from File>Open

Recently upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave and experiencing this issue (happening in particular with an instance with True Strke in K5 inside the Server Project).  Was able to confirm the above quote, ran into sample cache error when trying to launch the file from Finder but loading from within the program it loaded fine.  Previously, updating Kontakt's database seemed to help but that stopped working.  I am in the process of changing over all of my VEP Project templates to Kontakt 6 which will hopefully put an end to this issue for me.

PS, VEP still crashes every time it is quit with a file open.

Update:  Two instances in current Server Project had K5, switched those out to K6 and issue is unchanged.  I did find that this seems to only happen to me when the file is launched from Finder when VEP is closed.  If VEP is open double click or drag and drop the file from Finder seems to work ok.

iMac Pro, Mojave 10.14.4, VEP 6.0.17226 (server running natively), Kontakt 5.8.1 (R43)

• I have this problem too, after the recent VEP update. 

Now I can't work. VEP can you please test  your software before updating it please. 

• I just hit this issue for the very first time.  This thread has been very useful - thanks to all who contributed and shared their solutions.

I usually start VEPro by clicking a file on my desktop.  Today I had the Kontakt sample data cache death spiral...

I was able to get my slave instances back using the File>Open method described in this thread.  When I did get my slave back open again, I found something interesting...  

I could tell that previously my slave was getting stuck loading my Spitfire Albion 1 woodwinds.  Once I was able to open my slave template again, I notice I left Kontakt5 Spitfire Albion 1 Hi Wood Legato enabled when I last shut down.  That instrument was showing that it was not connected to any audio (I route 4 mic outs) and thus, Kontakt was failing to launch properly. (this makes sense as I started my Slave before opening my Master DAW template).  Once I started my DAW and connected all my instances, Kontakt was happy again.

So I made sure all instruments were in disabled state, shut down, and started again using my desktop shortcut.  It loaded fine.  

Now, I'm sure I've loaded this same template with other instruments left enabled... Perhaps there's something particular about the actual Kontakt instrument that is left open?  Maybe because these Kontakt instruments need to see the multiple outputs in order to load properly...?  I've seen other Kontakt instruments that behave very badly (wont draw the GUI correctly or wont complete loading altogether) in VEP due to output routing before - usually drums with multple outputs like GetGoodDrums for example.  

• last edited
    last edited

I have the same problem now since the VEP 7 upgrade. This fix indeed helps, though. What also worked for me is to open the VEP 7 Server and go from there to the menu File > open Server Project.

Please bugfix soon!

@koassistant said:

Same issue here but only when there actually is stuff in Kontakt not the empty template: 

3. It starts loading. 

• I'm having this issue too - on VEP 7 on OSX High Sierra.

In my case it seems to only happen if I launch VEP by double clicking on my default VEP server startup file (.vesp64) which loads my three VEP instances into VEP server - all instances being 100% KONTAKT libraries.

Now here's something that migh provide a clue to a solution:

I gather that VEP is written in JUCE. Several years ago I actually had a C++ project of my own - which was in fact - also a plugin server - and it was written in JUCE. The project has been temporarily shelved but got to 90% - ish  feature complete as far as the main engine guts was concerned but GUI work was unfinished and needed redoing. But I came across a very similar issue I and people here are having whenever my C++  plugin server app was set up to automatically load my KONTAKT instances on bootup.

It resulted me in carrying out months of email discussions with the JUCE developer team - and in the end the issue only got resolved by Julian Storer himself suggesting a solution which when i implemented it solved the problem in my host server app. 

The issue in my case had to do with how the JUCE App went through its startup process and involved a need in the end to introduce a timer delay in order to let the JUCE framework go through its entire initialisation process on bootup for the GUI run loop not to clash with initialisation code and something in KONTAKT that caused this hang. - By means of the timer delay - the actual plugin loading proces only started after that.   I think as i recall that the issue was particular to OSX and thus any solution here would not apply to Windows. ( my code was onlty at this time being developed for OSX ) 

The VEP team might want to contact Julian Storer and mention my name dan stenning - and maybe Jules can point the VEP team in the right direction. Or the VEP dev team can PM me.  

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

thanks for your input on this matter. I believe you are referring to this Juce forum thread?

First of all, VEP is not written in JUCE. However, the issue you describe is very similar to what we're seeing - and the workaround that I have already implemented is just that - a delay (of 500ms) for loading projects upon startup. Perhaps this delay would need to be longer on other systems? Do you recall what delay value you ended up with?

In any case, this is really a bug with Kontakt itself - I think related to the modal dialog it pops when doing loading. We have contacted NI several times about this issue, but have yet to receive a reply.

Thanks,

Martin

• Hi,

Any update on the matter? Any news from NI? Keep having the same problem... Keep us posted Martin.

Thanks!

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

We have just received an answer from NI:

"The "working on sample data cache" issue can have multiple reasons, Antivirus software can cause this but what should help mostly is rather a bath-resave in Kontakt. This article refers to missing samples but the process of batch-resaving is the same:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210274985-How-to-Resolve-Issues-with-Missing-Samples-for-a-KONTAKT-Library-Batch-re-save-

Usually Kontakt Partners refer to this method in their manuals or even Youtube."

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I just ran into this issue for the first time and maybe this could help someone.

I was trying to start VEP with an alias .vesp file (something I do regularly).

I ran into the "working on sample data cache" problem using the alias file.

If I ran the original .vesp file. It worked fine.

I also deleted the alias file, replaced it with a new alias file, and the new alias file worked fine as well.

Hopefully that can help someone.