Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,003 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,970 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• mh7635

You are dead wrong.   A slur DOES NOT MEAN ONE BOW -  it is used in music notation for different meanings.  Countless scores have slurs that last for far more notes than can be taken on one bow, and it is not a matter of a composer knowing how to write for strings.  It is just as often used for PHRASING, to indicate a general legato that is accomplished with multiple bows or fingered legato.  And it is not a matter of knowing how to write for strings - string players always figure out their own bowings - often with a concert master indicating how to bow a section - and what the composer writes is only a general indication of bowing.  And that is why a slur marking could never be an absolute indication of bowing.  

• Look Kersten, in the context of this discusssion, a slur over notes in string writing is more often than not indicitave of bow changes. Of course I know about longer phrase slurs and other uses, did you really have to clarify that for me, thinking I didn't know? But, given the discussion, my post above was chiming with your pov to a certain extent anyhow, suggesting you are right in some cases, not that you'd see that.  

Oh and by the way, it is always a matter of knowing how to write well for strings and that includes bowing technique if you want to write to a high standard. In all my pro sessions I have only ever had one discussion about alternative bows, so I do know something about it. 

How do you expect a composer to exploit in a creative, compositional emotional manner, bowing techniques that inform and enhance his/her work if they do not t know about them?...well?

www.mikehewer.com
  • Look mh7635 -

open up your score of Beethoven's 3rd 1st movement bar 140-141.  That is an example of phrasing INDICATED BY A SLUR that cannot be played on one bow and never would be attempted.  

Or maybe you don't think Beethoven knew how to write for strings. 

Don't announce as a fact something that is simply false and expect moronic acquiescence.  

• What is the matter with you.....Can't you read? I know about slurs used for phrasing and once more, just for you...I know about bowing. I am not saying anything at all derogatory about long phrase slurs nor am I saying that long slurs are indicitive of ignorance or bad practice.  Modern scoring practice and composing utilises more bowing effects than Beethoven's time and it is that resource that is a wonderful asset to have as a composer because only when you know about it, can you use it and exploit it for your own end....that kersten, is a fact. 

Get your head in it.....

www.mikehewer.com
  • So in other words we are yelling at each about something we agree on.  

All right, I will cease and desist, and go write some phrasing slurs.  

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

You are dead wrong.   A slur DOES NOT MEAN ONE BOW

Thanks to you I know now that Samuel Adler was dead wrong... That said I don't think I'll put his book to the trash!

We are talking about precise articulations. Yes we know about extended slurs, this is a global and secondary usage and it doesn't help us about the subject of this topic, I mean the Synchron 'Slur' articulation. No need for any endless 'slurred' sterile tiring circular argueing.

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Before I entered  VSL world, I was taught that Staccato just meant shortened unnattached notes in a series but to VSL staccatos are short notes with a very hard attack.  So in scores where I find staccatos written I end up using Portatos/detaches instead because the attacks are softer..

This is something I struggle with from time to time. Sometimes at lower velocities I can get the staccato articulation to work as a moderately fast detache. The short detache has a softer attack, and sometimes it will work for those passages, other times the attack is too soft. So many variables involved. Sometimes I use both articulations, starting with a staccato at the beginning of a motive then switch to the softer short detache for the rest of the motive. It depends on the phrasing and tempo. At faster tempos, I may switch to spiccato and treat it more like a sautille.

I'm speaking mainly about the solo strings library, but it also applies to chambers strings.

What I wouldn't give for an on the bow sampled detache that worked every time, but I'm beginning to thing such a thing isn't possible. The times I've gotten closest to sounding like a real performance have always involved switching articulations relatively often, sometimes every few notes, are in some cases, every note. Something about that variety that adds an organic flavor.

• "We are talking about precise articulations. Yes we know about extended slurs, this is a global and secondary usage and it doesn't help us about the subject of this topic," - javajam

No you weren't.  You were stating that slurred means one bow, and that is what I was contradicting - so now you have changed the subject.    

The original subject was about samples, not your silly concepts of slurs.   I have had the same question that fatis had about this, and have not used the so-called "slurred legato" articulations.  

But you know what? I am so utterly bored with this -   go ahead, use "slur" any way you want to.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

That is absolutely FALSE... You are dead wrong... not your silly concepts of slurs...
    But you know what? I am so utterly bored with this -   go ahead, use "slur" any way you want to.

Thank you for your friendly words and your kind permission, I will then. Respect and peace.

• Sorry javajam, I get overly excited by slurs.  

• last edited
    last edited

So here is the actual difference - I was wondering about this and did a test - exact same arpeggios with same velocity -

normal legato

slurred legato