Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,245 users have contributed to 42,287 threads and 255,025 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Hi

The Timpani only has hits and Rolls, and doesnt seem to have dynamic articulations...but its lovely!

I suppose you could stack 2 groups of 14 violins, but i dont think that would work so well, as then when you have two notes per stave youd here 28 violins (as 14 would play each note)

a better way i think would be this.

If your going to be using Sibelius, make two violin staves. 1 would be for 1st violins (for example 14 from the Orcestral strings in pack 1) and the other could be the Chamber strings from the other pack....2 i think!

now...and its not really a massive hastle, if you want your strings to play divisi, use the chamber string stave for these passages, as i think there a 6 violins (so if you want to divide you strings a2 then you'd here 12 strings. 6 playing each note) for those notes.

i use this for solo violin passages and im happy with the results i'm getting. its not perfect, but thats why my wallet is hiding from Dimension strings!.......that they have a sound set for by the way!

i use 2 flutes for music i'm writing at the moment, and use 2 staves (1 for each flute) so its not really an issue with solo instruments.

A BIG......BIG......MASSIVE tip to give you!

Writting in Sibelius is wonderful, but to get it to play back really well have a main score.....lets call it the original score and then save it and make an exact copy and call it something different like PLAYBACK.

Once your happy that the Original score is written correctly, and i often cut and paste the divisi staves into the main violin stave as all expression and system text is there (a2, divisi etc) then.........Save it and.....DON'T TOUCH this one! 

Tweak to your harts content the PLAYBACK score...as if you use Sibeliuses built in dynamics plugins you may need to use the delete, or undo alot.

Good luck mate, 

Kindest

Paul

• Paul,

Thank you so much for the great tip! That is really helpful.

I wonder if it is possible though to switch between two custom presets on a single staff? One custom preset with the 14 sting patch, and another custom preset with the chamber strings? Then switch between them with expression text on a single line. I'm not too well-versed in Vienna Instruments Pro yet, but it is so customizable I'm beginning to think something like that might be possible.

Nevertheless, you have definitely helped me make my decision. I hope to pick up the collection soon :)

• Hi,

this schould be possible. I use changing articulations with expressiontext in Sibelius a lot.

For example:
    Matrix 1 is Orchestral Strings, Matrix 2 is Camber Strings.
    Below the note where I want the switch to take place I insert an expressiontext:

divisi ~CC25,1

Controller 25 being the controlIer I  set up to switch between matrixes.

unisono ~CC25,0

switching back to Matrix 1 and therefore to the Orchestra strings.

Of course you can do this with any controller-setup, and even within a matrix.

I hope I undestood your question right and the answer helped.

Best Stefan

• Hi Stefan

blimey, i didn't even know you could do that....its going to save a LOAD of cutting and pasting!

I've tried to set that up, but cannot for the life of me work out what i need to do. Could you give me an idea of how i'd set that up, as i assume i need to enable 'Matrix CC' in the options of VI Pro, but no matter what i do it won't change from 'off'

Kindest regards

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Paul,

I made a screenshot.

Screenshot

Should work that way if VI oder VEnsemble is connected to Sibelius.

Best Stefan

• Hi Stefan

Thanks so much for the screen shot mate.

I'm using Sibelius, Vi Pro and Vienna Ensamble and everythings cool with the template im using, but for the life of me I can't get the Matrix CC to change from 'off' (in the options tab bottom left of master settings..the one you have got switched to 25)

Any idea how i get it to turn on?

I really do appreciate you help

Kindest regards

Paul

• Did you change the setting (one of the red circles) from keyswitch to program (prg)?

Then you have to doubleclick into the MatrixCC button. then you can edit the value.

This setting is fixed in my startup setup, so I actually do not remember any troubleshooting I might have done previously.

Best Stefan

• Hi Stefan

Mate...thanks so much for your help

i've got it sorted now. I had changed the setting from keyswitch to program change, and double clicked the MatrixCC button, but no drop down appeared, so i inputted '0' into the text box that appeared, the BOOM...sorted with the ability to change the CC's mate

Thanks again for your help....i'm off to experement!

Have a good one fella

Paul

• Glad it helped. Have fun.

Stefan

• Stefan,

That was exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for the info.

And I thought I might add a bit of my sibelius knowledge to your implementation. You can edit the Playback dictionary in Sibelius and add the term "divisi" or "s2" as a CC change, so you don't have to write the CC changes manually every time or remember them (it will do it automatically). I have done something similar with noteperformer. 

I was just confused about the CC values VI uses and how sibelius would link to VI, but you have cleared that up. Thank you so much!

• You're welcome.

Registration of the term "divisi" sounds very interesting. I suppose you have to edit the soundset for that? Or can you define it directly in the playbackdictionary?

Best Stefan

• Hey stefan!

You just create a new term and define it within the sibelius playback dictionary. To do this, just click the "new" button, name it what you want (ex. divisi, a2, etc.), set the effect to control change, and then configure the CC values to line up with what you need for VSL. Here is what my "a2" term and definition looks like defined for noteperformer. I will probably be making another template though for use with VSL with different CC values :)

https://imgur.com/a/GyPWZ6n

Hope I could help!

• Thanks you so much.

Sibelius is really great. You can do/script so much stuff.

I love working with Sibelius and Vienna Ensemble Server.

Best Stefan