Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,455 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,079 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

Ok I understand top summarize your constructive suggestions "how to improve Synchroin Strings" you say

@Another User said:

I actually added to the post just after posting. But of course you are hovering over this like a hawk. But there you have it: My constructive criticism.

Still one question: You kept your completely offtopic and aggressive personal insinuation against me for exactly what constructive reason?

• fahl5, it's not our fault that you're obviously incapable of reading comprehension, amongst other things. Your whole act here is incredibly cheap. All of the posts you stupidly picked apart and selectively quoted actually contained pointed and concrete criticism.

You're picking quotes out of context on purpose. Your mindset is that of an 14 year old child arguing on the internet. You're the only thing that's wrong in this thread. You're the only person who keeps coming back and pollutes the forum with more useless "contributions", and this whole thread would be 300% more constructive without your pathetic meddling and confrontational nonsense.

None of us here has any interest in arguing with each other. Our opinions on specific aspects of the library might differ, but none of that would stand in the way of a civil discussion. Without your transgressions, no one would be arguing here and you wouldn't see a single out-of-line post. Actually everyone's totally fed up with the bickering, but you wont stop, because William is 100% right - you're the type of sociopath that enjoys this kind of stuff.

You're ruining it for everybody, and you're making this forum an ugly place. This observation alone probably makes you glee deep down inside. You should be banned. Period. The only reason it's not happening is because you probably bought every VSL product under the sun. And it just shows how much the ignore function is needed.

• last edited
    last edited

Ok and this is how it sounds when Jimmy Hellfire tries to contribute to the discussion "how to improve Synchron Strings" in a topic related and constructive way:

@JimmyHellfire said:

fahl5, it's not our fault that you're obviously incapable of reading comprehension, amongst other things. Your whole act here is incredibly cheap. All of the posts you stupidly picked apart and selectively quoted actually contained pointed and concrete criticism.

You're picking quotes out of context on purpose. Your mindset is that of an 14 year old child arguing on the internet. You're the only thing that's wrong in this thread. You're the only person who keeps coming back and pollutes the forum with more useless "contributions", and this whole thread would be 300% more constructive without your pathetic meddling and confrontational nonsense.

None of us here has any interest in arguing with each other. Our opinions on specific aspects of the library might differ, but none of that would stand in the way of a civil discussion. Without your transgressions, no one would be arguing here and you wouldn't see a single out-of-line post. Actually everyone's totally fed up with the bickering, but you wont stop, because William is 100% right - you're the type of sociopath that enjoys this kind of stuff.

You're ruining it for everybody, and you're making this forum an ugly place. This observation alone probably makes you glee deep down inside. You should be banned. Period. The only reason it's not happening is because you probably bought every VSL product under the sun. And it just shows how much the ignore function is needed.

Btw.: nice to hear that William and you are good friends again we all remember well how wonderful constructive your discussions with William always have been.

• last edited
    last edited

@kamil said:

Ffahl5 ... Ik denk niet dat er reden is voor dit debat.
    Prutser.

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

Still one question: You kept your completely offtopic and aggressive personal insinuation against me for exactly what constructive reason?

I am not gonna feed you - call your mum.

•  

A last comment on-topic, before taking a pause:

- I think VSL product management and development team is a very strong and educated one. I suppose they are perfectly aware of the limits and unexpected issues of the project. Anyway it's a pity we got the technical debate polluted by human factors, because our feedback should be very useful: every developer is abitually self-indulgent with his own baby, and even when the  issues are technically well known, still the customers feedback helps to prioritize and sort the space for improvement.

- the overal sound quality of the result, has unfortunately distracted the attention from the other interesting components of the Sinchron Strings project: the player and the patch structure. I think the idea and the software are powerful and good (e.g. the tree structure and the automatic coherence of articulations grouped by "playing style" etc.).

- I think some of the recording concepts were also brilliant and were providing immediate benefit: the dynamic uniformity and the rich variations managed by scripts. I suspect, as other did, that unfortunately some of the "news" like the auto-gain control or the wet-samples processing were creating artifacts the sound engineers and developers were not expecting and are not yet mastering. It's definitely the reason for the long development time and the delays. I still remember it was the very same with Dimension strings, and not all the issues with the samples of Dimension were finally fixed, but at least the VI Pro player and the final patches of Dimension strings arrived to the standard we all know, respect and love.

- Last but not least, I suppose, from some feedback of developers, and from the official communication of VSL marketing, that the hidden problem was and probably still is also human resources constrain: even working day and night, the amount of work the VSL team was facing with new projects and productions seems to be overwelming. I hope time will help to settle down the huge amount of news and refine the software and samples as they always did in the past.

Crossing fingers and looking forward.

• ... and fahl5, stop sending me PMs. Not gonna read or respond to them.

• last edited
    last edited

@Simon Ravn said:

... and fahl5, stop sending me PMs. Not gonna read or respond to them.
    I don't get PMs from him, but I did get blocked from his website. Lol

• To be serious ... let's keep it "subject-based".

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I suspect, as other did, that unfortunately some of the "news" like the auto-gain control or the wet-samples processing were creating artifacts the sound engineers and developers were not expecting and are not yet mastering. It's definitely the reason for the long development time and the delays. I still remember it was the very same with Dimension strings, and not all the issues with the samples of Dimension were finally fixed, but at least the VI Pro player and the final patches of Dimension strings arrived to the standard we all know, respect and love.

I again like the very constructive attitude towards Problems like  that and do consent again completly.

in my humble opinion I think there are several articulation types which are wortth to be added or  completed in further editions:

• Sordini,
    • sul pont,
    • Harmonics,
    • less extreme long Cresc. and decresc.,
    • pfp in different durations,
    • more sustained Sfz,
    • another more passionate Vibrato type like we know from Appasionata

It no surprise for anyone here: I think it is defenitly worth to continue improviong and expanding this series as it is reasonable for the users to give a feedback for the direction of this further development.  I hope following Fatis exsample we will finaly get on the right path to support the VSL-Team with concrete Feedback and suggestions.  This is my contribution .

• last edited
    last edited

@JimmyHellfire said:

To be serious ... let's keep it "subject-based".

😃👍

• last edited
    last edited

@Veola said:

I just cannot understand how people can say there is nothing wrong with this lib? Don't you compare to other libs or listen to recordings? Don't you want something new, improved or groundbreaking from a new lib?

+1

Sorry I read many general complains and little or often no realy constructive suggestions, no real attempt at least to make the alledged problem much more precise than"And as countless have already pointed out, Synchron Strings is off. Very off. It sounds lifeless and thin," or "I just cannot understand how people can say there is nothing wrong with this lib?"

Is that how sounds everybodies "constructive criticism and appreciation to synchron because they believe in VSL "

If you really dont expect anything more than that from a constructive discussion, OK than now I have "learned" what kind of discussion you think are "constructiv"

To be honest when it comes to you I did not found neither any attempt to describe any possible problem of Synchron Strings nor any attempt to discuss any arguments brought by others about any problems or possible improvements.

Just take a look on what many of your postings here has as their very personal major topic that you criticise and than ask yourself what kind of "trip" would you call that.

I rest my case.

• https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/48893/Mute Hide Option In The Forums/272936

• Jimmy,

btw I think your post on Synchron Strings is the single best I've seen in both concept, thoughtfulness and writing style (which seems always to be neglected in internet posts).  It is no small thing, and in fact a pleasure, to read someone who can use language.  Someone who can form a sentence, actually an exceptionally intelligent sentence. 

• Much appreciated, William. I try to hopefully not just ramble, and sometimes succeed.

• IMHO. VSL Synchron Strings I has great sounding Short articulations, and that's where my praise for it stops.

Non of the sustains, Legatos, long articulations, vibrato patches, are up to my expectations, I won't bother using them. 

I also don't like the Tree-Structure design of of the Synchron Player, I find it confusing to choose articulations, via multipl key-switches, diving further into the tree structure, doesn't feel like an improvement compared to the Matrix System of VI-Pro 2. 

Maybe VSL can improve Synchron Strings I, (although I doubt they will), the new Synchron Player is another big step backwards instead of forward. 

The total silence, and lack of communication from VSL about this is not a wise strategy, although I think VSL think it is. (Sad). 

I gave up on VSL Synchron Strings I, but will still use its short articulations. I have many other options to choose from, i.e. VSL's VI-Pro 2 based libraries (which I own quite a number of), and from other developers. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Veola said:

I just cannot understand how people can say there is nothing wrong with this lib? Don't you compare to other libs or listen to recordings? Don't you want something new, improved or groundbreaking from a new lib?

+1 

• last edited
    last edited

Well, this is certainly a fascinating thread to say the least. 

It's clear that this thread will be forever referenced by future PHD candidates in Sociology and Human Behavioral Studies😛

But after spending two or three days reading through this entire 6 page thread I think the essence of it can be distilled to just two posts not including the original post.

The first would be Jimmie Hellfire's first post.  Although it is a pretty scathing critique of VSL's SyS project it isn't just random baseless bashing and bitching which we've become accustomed to here on the forum.  No, Jimmie has laid out a pretty convincing case, based upon his honest opinion, that doesn't disrespect VSL but is more along the lines of "tough love."

The second post, and more or less a rebutal to Jimmie's post, is Guy Bacos' "Bee" demo because you hear the library at its best and can make your own decision.  By the way, a really nice piece Guy and I agree with William I didn't hear any of the negative aspects of that piece with regards to "machine gun effect" etc.

And that's pretty much it.  It's kind of ashamed that you have to wade through 6 pages of bitter acrimony in order to get to the heart of the matter but such is life here on the big VSL Community Comedy Cavalcade   

I'm not sure how to respond to the Synchron effort.  I guess VSL figured that you can't just make a library with baked in reverb because it's been done before by just about everybody else and it would be looking backwards while VSL is a forward looking company.  So they created this Synchron library and it is what it is at present time but VSL does read these "recommendations" and takes them seriously.  As for them not replying, well I don't think I would reply either because then you're obligated to reply to every single "recommendation" and "I DEMAND AN ANSWER😤" from every frustrated user who posts about anything not just Synchron.  

Again, a very fascinating thread🤔

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Well, this is certainly a fascinating thread to say the least. 

It's clear that this thread will be forever referenced by future PHD candidates in Sociology and Human Behavioral Studies😛

But after spending two or three days reading through this entire 6 page thread I think the essence of it can be distilled to just two posts not including the original post.

The first would be Jimmie Hellfire's first post.  Although it is a pretty scathing critique of VSL's SyS project it isn't just random baseless bashing and bitching which we've become accustomed to here on the forum.  No, Jimmie has laid out a pretty convincing case, based upon his honest opinion, that doesn't disrespect VSL but is more along the lines of "tough love."

The second post, and more or less a rebutal to Jimmie's post, is Guy Bacos' "Bee" demo because you hear the library at its best and can make your own decision.  By the way, a really nice piece Guy and I agree with William I didn't hear any of the negative aspects of that piece with regards to "machine gun effect" etc.

And that's pretty much it.  It's kind of ashamed that you have to wade through 6 pages of bitter acrimony in order to get to the heart of the matter but such is life here on the big VSL Community Comedy Cavalcade   

I'm not sure how to respond to the Synchron effort.  I guess VSL figured that you can't just make a library with baked in reverb because it's been done before by just about everybody else and it would be looking backwards while VSL is a forward looking company.  So they created this Synchron library and it is what it is at present time but VSL does read these "recommendations" and takes them seriously.  As for them not replying, well I don't think I would reply either because then you're obligated to reply to every single "recommendation" and "I DEMAND AN ANSWER😤" from every frustrated user who posts about anything not just Synchron.  

Again, a very fascinating thread🤔

So.. What's your opinion about VSL Synchron Strings I.  Are you using them a lot, and are very happy with the results ?  

• I am not using Synchron Strings as of yet as I usually wait 6 months to a year before investing in software products unless it's just a library nothing more. In this case, there's a player associated with it which means software and bugs and hiccups etc. I like to wait until they iron all that stuff out. But to be honest, I'm attached to the dry libraries and they have always been the becon that has brought me home to VSL time and again. I just like the flexibility of creating my own sonic environments. But that doesn't mean that I'll NEVER be interested in Synchron.