Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,995 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,969 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Hi Fahl5,

You did a wonderful job producing this demo (Thanks),  but, I'm not impressed by what I hear as far as Synchron Strings 1 are concerned. I will wait until I hear some more demos, especially from VSL, and see what I think about them.

So far I have decided not to bother installing Synchron Strings 1 on my System. 

Cheers,

Muziksculp 

• Heh, I think that liking / disliking this mockup in the end depends on personal tastes and bias towards certain aestethics. And it also might be the case when looking at people who love or hate Synchron Strings.

Because what I hear in this mockup sounds fake. I would never think that this is live performance. It's too sterile, to clean, too dead - sometimes I see term 'analytical' to describe things like that. Samples sound perfect, but machine like perfect, not human-like flawed perfection.

So what I hear in this mockup are machines playing cool piece of music and trying to trick me they are not machines. Fortunately they are failing. Just my two cents.

Although the shorts indeed sound great on its own :)

• To keep it short ... Good Performance that shows what you can do with SS1, StePHen! (Why did you switch to Steffen? Or did I dream it?) Muziksculp, why don’t you install the product? I don’t get it. And how will you know about the quality of the product if you don’t play it?

• last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

To keep it short ...

Muziksculp, why don’t you install the product? I don’t get it. And how will you know about the quality of the product if you don’t play it?

I will Install it, but only after I hear some new and wonderful sounding VSL demos, or by users, that will convince me it is worth installing it.  So far I feel it's not worth installing. This might change, depending on what I hear. 

• last edited
    last edited

@LAJ said:

To keep it short ...

Muziksculp, why don’t you install the product? I don’t get it. And how will you know about the quality of the product if you don’t play it?

I will Install it, but only after I hear some new and wonderful sounding VSL demos, or by users, that will convince me it is worth installing it.  So far I feel it's not worth installing. This might change, depending on what I hear. 

Wow, you must be exceptionally well off, if you would purchase the library (the full version, no less) and then not even attempt to work with it yourself but rely on others' opinions.  I think I would feel instant remorse for spending that money and not even giving it a try!

• The original recording link does not work? Synchron does not convince here either, especially in those parts where the strings are exposed. It's synthy, very synthy.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sovereign said:

The original recording link does not work? Synchron does not convince here either, especially in those parts where the strings are exposed. It's synthy, very synthy.

Agreed. Maybe there's something in it that needs to be fixed. I don't believe this is what VSL intended.

• Hi Steffan,

Is the issue with the release (or just overlap?) on some notes down to you or the player/samples? Because your phrasing is so different to the recording, I am assuming that it was an interpretive decision on your part, or perhaps you used a different edition to the recording!

Sadly though, for me, whatever samples ( or interpretation) you used for the allegro theme at around 1'08", they do not supply the clarity required for the music and as a result, are quite off-putting. The sustain was uneven in places and as mentioned above, the overlap in places was too noticeable and not really acceptable from a listening point of view. The timbre too was an issue for me, especially for a classical piece.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive on this but accept that you are re-learning to a certain extent too. My own personal jury is out on Synchron at present and am waiting for a definitive demo that'll make me take the plunge. I've heard good shorts and pizz, but that is only half the story.....

www.mikehewer.com
  • What do you know about it?  

• last edited
    last edited

@Sovereign said:

The original recording link does not work? Synchron does not convince here either, especially in those parts where the strings are exposed. It's synthy, very synthy.

Oh is it? 

What music do YOU do that is not synthy?  I want to hear it.  Please post some of your great natural sounding performances. 

I am tired of people who have no demonstrated work just mouthing off.  I feel one should demonstrate what they actually know - like the brilliant Steffen who has a huge website that demonstrates just that.  

WILLIAM KERSTEN

www.williamkersten.com

• last edited
    last edited

@Piotr Katzpersky said:

Heh, I think that liking / disliking this mockup in the end depends on personal tastes and bias towards certain aestethics. And it also might be the case when looking at people who love or hate Synchron Strings.

Because what I hear in this mockup sounds fake. I would never think that this is live performance. It's too sterile, to clean, too dead - sometimes I see term 'analytical' to describe things like that. Samples sound perfect, but machine like perfect, not human-like flawed perfection.

So what I hear in this mockup are machines playing cool piece of music and trying to trick me they are not machines. Fortunately they are failing. Just my two cents.

Although the shorts indeed sound great on its own 😊

O.K., I want to hear also what this person does that is so fantastically natural and real sounding.  What music do you do when not trashing Synchron?  Why are you the judge?  I  notice you keep on appearing and trashing Synchron.  I truly want to know, not out of hostility - I am just amazed by the so-called experts who appear out of nowhere and then decided what is good or bad.  O.K. - so why should we listen to you in particular?  What do you actually know and do?  Besides just post things on your computer... 

WILLIAM KERSTEN

www.williamkersten.com

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

What do you know about it?  

If you are referring to music, then a great deal.

If you are referring to sample programming, then a great deal.

If you are referring to Synchron, then I am using my ears, my professional experience and a personal subjectivity - how else can it be when considering purchase.

I gave a perfectly civil, thoughtful and honest response to Steffan, one based on my considered thoughts and not driven by a seemingly overwhelmed and demented  mind. VSL actively encourage different viewpoints here (and also at VI-control) and that openness is, I believe laudable and doubtless valuable to them. As a poster here though, I perceive your trolling in their name as distinctly unhelpful.

I, like Steffan also have a website so before you think about it, don't lay your accusations about anonymous posting at me (again) - not that it should matter to anyone else here what your 'criteria' are before you listen to their opinion because this is an open forum and one that would be nicer to partake in if it wasn't for the un-civil and bigoted tone in your posts.

www.mikehewer.com
  • William is at the end of his menstrual cycle again.

• last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

If you are referring to Synchron, then I am using my ears, my professional experience and a personal subjectivity - how else can it be when considering purchase.

Fantastic music!

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

O.K., I want to hear also what this person does that is so fantastically natural and real sounding.  What music do you do when not trashing Synchron?  Why are you the judge?  I  notice you keep on appearing and trashing Synchron.  I truly want to know, not out of hostility - I am just amazed by the so-called experts who appear out of nowhere and then decided what is good or bad.  O.K. - so why should we listen to you in particular?  What do you actually know and do?  Besides just post things on your computer... 

WILLIAM KERSTEN

www.williamkersten.com

I've got ears. And I love music. And taking those two factors I can say that this mock-up is... well, fake to my ears. Sorry if my ears hurt your feelings. Hope fahl5 won't take my opinion as personally as you are taking it. Because the whole project is massive, extremely ambitious and for sure needed lots of work. But my ears just don't click with it. And I think that it is about that analytical feel. not skill of artist. But - if I understand correctly - this is a point of those mockups.To take the music out of it's natural enviroment and dissect it.

And by the way. I'm a hobbyist, not a Professional. Proud of it. And just for you I'll create post in Orchestration - Composition - Instruments thread with my first SS piece with Synchron Player. Hopefully today. I'll ping you. So wait for my notification. No sense in derailing the thread anymore.

• last edited
    last edited

@Piotr Katzpersky said:

I've got ears. And I love music. And taking those two factors I can say that this mock-up is... well, fake to my ears. 

Absolutely. The more experienced you are as a composer, the harder it is to fool your ears, not the other way around.

• last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

Fantastic music!

Cheers John....😃

www.mikehewer.com
  • Meanwhile this discussion seem to have lost a bit its proper subject, I still dont want to miss to thank all friendly and respectful reacrtions among those who posted here for which I am very thankful.

• last edited
    last edited

@JimmyHellfire said:

William is at the end of his menstrual cycle again.

The middle-school idiocy of this post requires no reply except to add - this is from the person who is afraid to post any of his music here, even though it is "in theaters."   Yeah right.  Pathetic.   

TO VSL - no need to moderate, I am finished with this and off this Forum.    

Steffen - you are a brilliant musician and I am an admirer of yours.  Congratulations on all your great work.  

• Get well soon, and good riddance!