Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Organ stops organization

Hi,

I'm evaluating the Konzerthaus organ, but I see there isn't an easy way to separately activate/deactivate single stops, as you would do with a real organ.

I was wondering if there is a way to separately turn on/off each of the eight slots in a cell. And if the on/off switch could be assigned to a MIDI CC, to remotely control the stops/slots from a control surface or a DAW. This would make up to eight stops available for each cell, not bad for at least a single section of a piece.

Any idea? I've read of the many workarounds using custom matrices, but I don't find them optimal for a pipe organ, especially when improvising to find ideas.

Paolo

• While playing with Sonokinetic's Toccata, I was thinking about a way to simulate the way its stop selection method works in VI PRO.

Toccata has two sets of keyswitches: one on the left of the playable range for the lower manual, the other on the right for the upper manual. Each keyswitch is an on/off switch for the corresponding stop. Pressing more keys at once turns on/off the corresponding stops at once.

With Vienna Konzerthaus you can't turn individual stops on/off via keyswitches. But you could simulate a behaviour similar to the one seen in Toccata.

For each manual, prepare a matrix including twelve cells on the X-Axis. Each cell can be selected with a keyswitch. The first row includes only the basic stops, mutually exclusive. For example,

- Principal 16', Bordun 16', Principal 8', Gedackt 8', Hohlfloete 8', Flute harmonique 8', Gemshorn 8'', Nasatquinte 5 1/3', Octave 4', Reedpipe 4', Viola 4', Superoctave 2'

Then, since the modwheel is of no use for dynamics, you can use it to select cells on the Y-Axis. Each cell on the Y-Axis includes combinations of stops, building on the base one on the first row. The more you push the wheel forward, the richer the combination.

So, for example, on the first cell you could build this way:

- Principal 16'
    - Principal 16' + Bordun 16'
    - Principal 16' + Bordun 16' + Principal 8'
    - Principal 16' + Bordun 16' + Principal 8' + Gedackt 8'

and so on, up to filling all the eight slots of a cell. Combinations will not be a simple buildup of stops in a list, but a carefully crafter set of stops with musical sense.

Maybe you will not be absolutely precise in what you select with the modwheel, but you can keep the Advanced view open, and check the selected stops.

Paolo

• Another idea on the way of organizing stops (still thinking aloud):

- The first row might not be filled based on stops, but on musical situations.

For example, a matrix conceived for liturgy service could include the various sections of the mass on each cell of the X-Axis. Each subsequent row on the Y-Axis will add complexity and richness to that section.

You'll have a different matrix for each type of musical situation (mass, concert, choir accompaniment…).

Paolo

• Another approach for straight-foward, individual combinations is to use Vienna Ensemble as host, with as many VIs as the intended number of stops. Set all to the same MIDI-channel and use the either the channels' on/off or their mute buttons for registration.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Dietz, great idea! And with only the channels shown in VE, you get a very compact view in the virtual division! Paolo