Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,112 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• I noticed a similar problem on my windows server.  As I filled it up to be quite large (around 90gig ram taken up of 128) the cpu usage went to 0%.  However when I turned off or deleted a couple of channels of instruments it would pop back on as then indicated by a 10-19% cpu usage at idle.  The instance stop start / server on / off had no effect.

• Any update on this?  Having to reload this large slave system every couple of days is time consuming, especially in the middle of a score. 

• Hi, 

There was a similar thread on VI-Control, where our head developer suggested it could be related to some plugin using a 32-bit integer for timestamp, which could possibly wrap after ~25 hours.

We would need a reliable minimal reproduction for this to go any further, any input is very welcome.

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • It doesn't appear to be a 25 hour issue with timestamps:  I removed a few unused instances of two plugins (Valhalla Room and Fabfilter ProQ2), thinking they might be the source, and VEPro ran for about 3-4 days.  But I came back to the studio today, and the audio engine had dropped to 2% from its normal 18-20%. As usual, restarting the audio engine didn't work - I had to kill it and reload.  I only have Play 4.2.2 and Kontakt Player 5.3 running in this server now. 

• I removed 4 instances of SampleModeling Brass from my slave PC template, and VEP6 has been running for about week now.  

• This is worse with the latest update to VEPro 6.  I just updated a slave PC that had been running for about 2 weeks now after removing a couple of plugins.  But I updated VEP6 yesterday, and this morning the engine was sitting a 0%.  

Whatever the latest update added has made the engine-stop issue much worse.

• For sake of comparison, I replaced VEPro6 on the standalone slave system with Cantible for hosting VIs, and it has been running for about 2 weeks now (this works as a replacement as I am using hardware for audio back to the host, and MidiOverLan for midi - I wasn't using VEPro's streaming audio/midi system).  

The problem with VEP's audio engine stopping every couple of days seems isolated to VEPro. 

• Good to know dterry. I can confirm if I leave my workstation overnight the next day at some point will have the engine quit. It makes no difference if I am using it either. One time recently I did a little work on the second day of a session being open, an hour later the engine stopped. I would love to be able to keep my weekly projects open with full confidence. Really hope paul can fix this.

• I will work on a detailed report of the smallest session I have that exhibits this behavior to attempt tracking down the problem. The good thing is the behavior IS predictable for me at least. I am thinking it IS a specific plugin causing the problem within the vienna host.

• I thought it was plugin related, but I only have multiple instances of Play 5 in my slave system.  Removing other plugins seemed to extend the amount of time VEP would remain up, but I'm not sure it really made any difference. 

• Was there ever some kind of consensus as to what causes the timeouts?
    Mine go dead after 25 hours.

Any revelations dterry? Jesse?

• To answer your question... no I still have this issue on the latest vienna 6. ANY version of cubase does this... I also converted my system back to Vienna 5 and tested... and still the same issue. Not sure what went wrong or how this keeps happening but I just unload and load at the beginning of every production session as a habit now. costs me about 10 minutes per session.