Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,391 users have contributed to 42,295 threads and 255,063 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Just about to set this up myself but with Play. So multiple instances are ok to use despite the manual stating that VE PRO "will generally perform best when running as few instances as possible"? I'm imagining that it needs to be an instance per port which would mean in my case at least 30-40 instances. Is this better than using the Event Input Plug-in? I will be using SkiSwitcher to manage articulation switching and 'CC Cloning'.

In this case what is the optimal setting for Multiprocessing? My CPU is a quad-core with hyper-threading so should I set it to 8?

Apologies for newbie questions but I'm just getting started!

Thanks,

Mark

• Can you not use a midi channel per instrument? Which would give you 16 instruments per instance. Then you would have one instrument per midi channel. The only reason not to would be if you are using something like LA scoring strings where you need to have use of more than one midi channel per instrument. That is what I am doing - and it seems to be working out so far!

• I need to use several midi channels per instrument in order to cover all the different articulations of each instrument. So I envisage that each instance will correspond to one instrument with the possibility of up to 16 articulations. This is how I do it in Logic using Play/Hollywood Orch. Each Play instance is dedicated to a single instrument with all its articulations. Now I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to VEPro so I might have misunderstood how it works (just about to embark on my 2nd read through of the manual!) so I'll have to see what happens when I start to set it up.    

• I understand. That is the way I have my LASS currently set up. I have one instance for Violins, one instance for Violas and so on. 

Other plugins, like Vienna Instruments, handle keyswitching on their own so there is no need for more than one midi channel.

• Ah ok thanks. Sounds like having multiple instances is working ok for you so I'll go ahead on that basis. I have Multiprocessing set to 2 threads due to the number of instances - I think that's what someone recommended at some point.  

• I would suggest reading the manual regarding the multiprocessing - it depends upon your system and the way you use VE Pro. 

• Yes I am doing and have done so! However I don't find it clear as to what to do if you have multiple instances, in the region of 40 or so for example. With 4 instances and 8 virtual cores it seems clear that you'd set it to 2 threads, with 2 instances 4 threads and so on so that you use all your cores spread across the instances.

It says: "The general rule to follow is that the optimal number of threads on a system should be equal to the number of virtual cores present." 

However it says nothing about numbers of instances that go way beyond your number of cores. Unless I'm missing something.. 

• Do not forget that you can run your AU plug-ins inside Logic and send the audio to VEP and MIR

Normally this solution allow to spread better the load across your processors in Logic.

It is cheaper, CPU wise, to run an AU inside Logic than Inside VEP, because VEP adds another layer

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril Blanc said:

Do not forget that you can run your AU plug-ins inside Logic and send the audio to VEP and MIR

Normally this solution allow to spread better the load across your processors in Logic.

It is cheaper, CPU wise, to run an AU inside Logic than Inside VEP, because VEP adds another layer

The extra CPU usage is not that much. I have helped set up a lot of LA composers with building VE Pro orchestral templates connected to Logic and they are pretty much all happy now.

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril Blanc said:

Do not forget that you can run your AU plug-ins inside Logic and send the audio to VEP and MIR

I've been running everything inside Logic for years but now I'm making use of a PC slave which has twice the amount of RAM, an SSD and a more powerful processor. So the whole point of me 'migrating' to VEPro is to host the plugins and samples on the slave through VEPro and then do all my recording and editing back in Logic on the Mac. This way I am in fact freeing up the Mac's processor, RAM and HD. Sorry, I didn't make that clear so far in this thread but I think it's a fairly standard way of doing things? 

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

The extra CPU usage is not that much.

Less CPU you are using, less change you will get pops, crackels 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

The extra CPU usage is not that much.

Less CPU you are using, less change you will get pops, crackels 😉

I have set up lots of VE Pro templates for Logic users and lots just in Logic. The CPU trade-off using VE Pro is definitely a major plus in terms of pop and crackle free performance.