Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,078 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,977 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Sub faders are not working ??

Hi everyone. This new multiport template looks great. I would love to be able to control the volume of each port. Every port has a sort of master track "VE Pro 1 MIDI Port 1" with a fader assigned to "sub1". But manipulating the fader does not give any response. Is this normal? Can it be used to control the volume of the port?

Thanks!

Flemming

• If you want to control the volume at the port level you need to insert Controlers in the Environnement on each port

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

Thanks Cyril, not sure what you mean, because on port level there's already a fader that reacts perfectly on my hardware controller (mackie protocol), but it does not change the volume. Do you mean that this fader in the environment is not assigned to anything and needs to be assigned somehow? I'm a long time Logic user but have never really understood the environement... 

Maybe it is easier to setup using aux-channels to control each port level. If this is possible ? 

@Cyril said:

If you want to control the volume at the port level you need to insert Controlers in the Environnement on each port

• Seems i have a dumb issue. 

With instruments on the 1st port i have no problem. (All midi that goes into the 1st instance of VEP)

With the second port (2nd instance channels) i dont get the setup to work the same way. same for 3rd and 4th etc. 

Everything seems to be setup the same way as port 1.  did i miss somehting obvious? 

in the pix attached you see were i have selected the track? i cannot play that but i can the tracks above. 

the intances of EW you see its the same way. 

• If you want we can do a Skype session and you can show me what you want exactly and I will tell you what to do

; my user is cyrillinda

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thanks Cyril, that's a really nice offer. I will PM you. :-)

• So i tried the other templates. the 2x48 i get it going until port 4 on the second intance. 

I tried each channel, port and instance. On the second instance, i can go up to midi channel 16 of port 3 loading intruments and all good. then when going to port 4, i load up the instrument but no signal is reaching vep from logic.

Also, i dont get any more than 16 ports. i have selected in the pref to go higher on midi channels but nothing. 

so on the other template of 6x16 i loose the connection on the second instance and on. (only omni working) and on the other template its port 4 of the second instance. and no 48 ports. 

what am i missing? didnt see it in the manual 

• last edited
    last edited

@charles_30783 said:

I'll give it a shot, thanks. Does this mean that the channel faders will now be controlling 11 rather than 7 and will allow individual controller 11 per channel? 

No

In Logic you will continue to use CC7 and when the CC7 is send to VSL it will converted CC 11

• last edited
    last edited

@gsilbers said:

So i tried the other templates. the 2x48 i get it going until port 4 on the second intance. 

I tried each channel, port and instance. On the second instance, i can go up to midi channel 16 of port 3 loading intruments and all good. then when going to port 4, i load up the instrument but no signal is reaching vep from logic.

Also, i dont get any more than 16 ports. i have selected in the pref to go higher on midi channels but nothing. 

so on the other template of 6x16 i loose the connection on the second instance and on. (only omni working) and on the other template its port 4 of the second instance. and no 48 ports. 

what am i missing? didnt see it in the manual 

Well i figured out that you HAVE to setup to 48 ports on both mac and pc. 

now the issue is that on a trying to do a multi ouput whenever i hit the + sign in logic to create the aux the midi gets screwy. any midi port channel will be ch1. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul Cristo said:

Other than having more ports, are they more efficient in some way?  I don't need more ports, but I'd certainly redo my template if they had a positive effect on performance.

Thanks.

Is there someone at VSL who can respond to my question?

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul Cristo said:

Other than having more ports, are they more efficient in some way?  I don't need more ports, but I'd certainly redo my template if they had a positive effect on performance.

Thanks.

More ports > less instances > fewer processing threads > less scheduling overhead, context switching and cache pollution.

Does it matter in practice? According to my tests it matters a bit, but not too much. On mac it could matter a bit more, since the OS X kernel is a bit less efficient than Windows dito for these things.

Cheers, M

• Hi Martin

Is AU3 going to improve this avoiding you to double the MIDI traffic of the actual version ?

This may explain why MAC OS is less efficient ;)

Best

Cyril

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

This may explain why MAC OS is less efficient 😉

No.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi there,  First post i believe - but using Vienna products for a couple of years 😃

I have recently added a 3rd pc to my slave set up - so i have 

i7  32gb Cubase Master (Vienna Pro License)

i7  64gb  Pc Desktop Slave 1 (Vienna Pro License) 

i7  32gb Pc Laptop Slave 2 (Vienna Pro License)  .  I am also using a TP LINK GIGABIT Switch , as each pc only has one ethernet port. 

I have a large orchestral template, spread out across Vienna Pro 5 , with Cubase 8.5 64 bit as my sequencer.  

Until recently i had only 2 pc's connected - by a crossed Ethernet Cable - and that was easy to set up with static IP addresses on each machine , which i could then match up in IP4 - working no problems.

However, as i need more RAM and have added a 3rd machine the need for a switch has made things much more difficult - for me at least.  The Tp Link Gigabit switch has 5 ports , but it is hard to find out its fixed ip. When i ipconfig it from  each machine i get a slightly different answer.  For example from this machine : 192.168.1.83, but the other pc comes back 192.168.1.88.   So i have set all 3 pcs with static addresses around this (i.e. 192.168.1.92 , 93 , 94 etc) ,  but i am a bit lost beyond this as to all the other settings to make. 

The good news is via the Host , it does recoginse all 3 pcs , and vienna Pro Servers , but there are often gremlins, where it takes much much longer to connect to an instance, or an  instance reports being connected to Cubase ,when it clear is not, and other things like instruments disappearing, occassional hangs, not always loading up as you expect. 

Sorry for such a long post but i am sure among you Lan experts on this community there must be an easy ish way of connecting 3 pc's via a switch and lan without any network problems.    I know very little about Local area, and while i have set up a homegroup between the pcs to transfer files, and made it a private network , getting a stable working environment for Composing is the most important thing . 

So if any one can point me to the easiest guide for getthing all three working together flawlessly, like i had the 2 pcs working i would be so grateful .  I imagine there is a straight forward guide some where but i cant seem to find it 😞    Thanks for your help in advance.    

I am not too bothered about being connected to the net at the same time - so long as i can just pull out a cable etc when i need to download, if that makes it easier.    

Thanks in advance for any help , advice the community can give 

Paul J

• The switch doesn'at have an IP. Your existing machines should remain unchanged. Just look to see what IP the new system is asinged through DHCP, and make that the static IP.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Hello Paul,

That is great for a big projects. 

Do I really need to use the Multiport Template for a String Quartet or a Solo Violin?

-------------------------------------------------

Master -Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB, System HD on Toshiba 500 GB, Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Logic PRO X(10.2),  RME FIREFACE UFX,

———

Slave -MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, Systen on Intel SSD 180 GB, Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Sounds Library on 1 Tb SSD, VI Pro 2, VE Pro 5,  VS, MIR PRO,

• Hi, 

I´d stick to single instances for smaller projects. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

Awsome:

Can VLS do one for Pro Tools and VEPro 5 ?

I am having some challenges configuring the multi port with Pro Tools 11.3

I have VEPro 5 on a slave PC hooked to my mac it is workign great with Sibelius 7.x 

but the instrument input interface is not avaliable for pro tools? 

Can someone shed light on this?

@Paul said:

Dear Logic & Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 users, 

We have just uploaded the brandnew 16 Port Multiport Template Song for Logic X PRO 10.1 or higher!

• Up to 256 MIDI Channels available within 1 VE PRO instance (without using Event Input Plug-ins!!)
    • No more dropouts and hanging notes due to the increased internal buffer size since Logic PRO X 10.1

Check out the great overview in this starting template, conveniently organized with Track Stacks and documented in the updated VE PRO 5 manual (page 45). 

Best, 
    Paul

• Hi Itzhak, 

Both RTAS and AAX offer multiple ports by design...

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul,

Is there any way to route the audio returns seperately back into Logic X?  I have a VEP orchestral template on a slave PC that I would love to transfer over to a version of the Multiport Template (lots of hanging notes with my current Event Inputs).  But I absolutely NEED the audio to come in on seperate tracks so that I can bus it out to seperate stems.

Previously, I was using multiple VEP instances, but it was a pain to reconnect each instance if I ever lost the LAN connection and I've been told that VEP works much more efficiently with only one instance.

Thanks for your time!

Dan Martinez