Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,865 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,942 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

IE, your arrangement can now be 6x more bombastic than when using the first multiport version with Logic 10.0.

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the clarifications.

How does behave IAC ?

If you mix IAC and Multiport what is the traffic limitation ?

Thanks

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Logic imposes the limit of 511 events per buffer on a VEPro AU instrument, and 127 events on any other AU instrument. Whatever limits IAC might have, I am unaware of. You could try to contact Apple, or why not make a simple test on your own. VEPro's midi input buffer size remains at 16384 events per process buffer. It is unlikely you will ever reach that limit.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Logic imposes the limit of 511 events per buffer on a VEPro AU instrument, and 127 events on any other AU instrument.

Whatever limits IAC might have, I am unaware of. You could try to contact Apple, or why not make a simple test on your own.

VEPro's midi input buffer size remains at 16384 events per process buffer. It is unlikely you will ever reach that limit.

Hi Martin

thanks for your answer.

I am a bit lost, you say "logic impose 511 event" and later you say "VEpro buffer size is 16384"

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

I am a bit lost, you say "logic impose 511 event" and later you say "VEpro buffer size is 16384"

Best

Cyril

since Logic's buffer is smaller than VEPro's, that 511 event limit will be reached first. I don't know how buffering with IAC works - nor do I know how Logic handles external midi events. If the buffers are larger there, it might be good for you to know the VEP buffer size, in case you want to investigate this.

• Hi, just saw this and I got curious. But I'm not sure how/when/why to use it…

Let's say I want a huge dimension strings ensemble with dimension strings x10, each instrument in MIR. I have dimension strings on a slave computer and MIR on the master computer.

How do I get the audio from 240 instruments (15 ports x 16 channels) from the slave into MIR? Isn't there still a 16 stereo track limitation in Logic?

What's the benefit of the multiport setup instead of just launching another multitimbral VEP-plugin for each 16 channels and connect to the slave and also being able to get audio return on each instrument/channel/track?

• last edited
    last edited

@Martinz said:

How do I get the audio from 240 instruments (15 ports x 16 channels) from the slave into MIR? Isn't there still a 16 stereo track limitation in Logic?

MIR needs to be installed on the Slave 

On the Master you put Logic 

You use the best computer as a slave as Logic does not need many resources to run

• Nice work Cyril!  Can you please explain what the transformer is doing?  I see that they fix the 2nd byte of each MIDI event to the port#, but why?  and how does any note or controller information get through?

I have already started retrofitting my template for the new MultiPort Layer posted a few weeks ago, and I want to know if I can just replace the macros with these new transformers?

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

MIR needs to be installed on the Slave 

On the Master you put Logic 

You use the best computer as a slave as Logic does not need many resources to run

Thanks for the answer Cyril. That makes sense in that case.

Let's compare these setups:

Setup 1 (my current setup): Master i the best computer and has Logic for composition and mixing, MIR (the reverb plugin loaded on each track in Logic), lots of non-VSL stuff, no multiport; 1 VEP-plugin for each 16 channels. Slave 1 has Dimension strings on 2 VEP instances (2x 16 instruments) and slave 2 has woodwinds and dimension brass on 2 VEP instances. So there are a total of 4 multitimbral VEP-plugins loaded in Logic. VSL Percussion and other instruments are loaded on master computer.

Setup 2: Master is the second best computer. Logic for composition and summing, multiportsetup for 2 slaves (2 VEP-plugins loaded in Logic). Best computer is slave 1 and has all VSL, non-VSL (like kontakt) and MIR loaded. Slave 2 for instruments that do not require MIR, like synths, else mostly a useless slave.

So I'm trying to understand why setup 2 would be better. Is the performance in VEP better than in Logic Pro X? Are there other reasons? The only one I can see for certain is that I would get the dry/wet audio from MIR on separate audio returns. 

• last edited
    last edited

@oldskool said:

Nice work Cyril!  Can you please explain what the transformer is doing?  I see that they fix the 2nd byte of each MIDI event to the port#, but why?  and how does any note or controller information get through?

I have already started retrofitting my template for the new MultiPort Layer posted a few weeks ago, and I want to know if I can just replace the macros with these new transformers?

the transformer add a CC 99 "portnumber" before each midi event

So you can replace the macro with the transformer, you just need to be carefull with the port number

• last edited
    last edited

@Martinz said:

Setup 2: Master is the second best computer. Logic for composition and summing, multiportsetup for 2 slaves (2 VEP-plugins loaded in Logic). Best computer is slave 1 and has all VSL, non-VSL (like kontakt) and MIR loaded. Slave 2 for instruments that do not require MIR, like synths, else mostly a useless slave.

So I'm trying to understand why setup 2 would be better. Is the performance in VEP better than in Logic Pro X? Are there other reasons? The only one I can see for certain is that I would get the dry/wet audio from MIR on separate audio returns. 

It is less cpu intensive to use VEP

In my setup I have decide to put K5, QLSC, EXS(of course), Omnisphere in Logic and I send the resulted audio to VEP and to MIR

MIR is your concert hall so all instrument should be send to MIR. The problem are instrument like QLSO that does not have a dry signal. You need to find out if an instrument in MIR can be set as DRY !

• I loaded the new multiport template for Logic and I'm using the 2x48 port project. I have the VEP 1 instance on my master computer with Logic and it's working perfectly through all the 48 ports. On the other hand I have the VEP2 instance on my slave computer and it receives midi data only through ports 1, 2 and 3. Ports 4 to 48 are not sending anything to the slave. Does anyone have any idea why this might be so?

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami Boman said:

I loaded the new multiport template for Logic and I'm using the 2x48 port project. I have the VEP 1 instance on my master computer with Logic and it's working perfectly through all the 48 ports. On the other hand I have the VEP2 instance on my slave computer and it receives midi data only through ports 1, 2 and 3. Ports 4 to 48 are not sending anything to the slave. Does anyone have any idea why this might be so?

So I studied the problem a little more and it has nothing to do with the master/slave issue. The problem is the VEP 2 instance. Only the three first ports of VEP 2 instance are working no matter if I connect it to a VEP instance on my master computer or a VEP instance on my slave computer. Likewise the VEP 1 instance IS working perfectly with VEP instance on either one of the computers.

• Hi Sami, 

Did you check how many Ports you have assigned in the VE PRO Preferences on your slave computer?

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Yes Paul, I read the new VE PRO manual and assingned 48 ports on both computers. Earlier the port number was 16, so even that doesn't explain why there are only 3 functioning ports. I guess the problem is in the midi environment, but I'm not sure. If it is, I don't have the required skills to solve it. There are other minor problems with the template too. VE Pro 1 MIDI Port 17 track stack contains 16 tracks that are named VE Pro 1_14 1 to VE Pro 1_14 16 and there are other stacks which contain tracks with a different port number in their name that the track stack header says. Then there is VE Pro 1 MIDI Port 19 track stack which contains no midi tracks but only these 'no output' tracks. But ultimately I don't think these thigs have anything to do with my original problem.

• Hi Sami, 

I´ll check the MIDI numbering asap, sorry about that. These MIDI tracks can easily be reassigned manually, but of course they should be assigned correctly right away. 

But you are right, that doesn´t have anything to do with your MIDI Port problem. 

Unfortunately I don´t have an idea what else could be wrong if it´s not the preferences. I assume you are using the latest VE PRO versions on both computers, of course, and that you have restarted VE PRO on your slave computer after you changed the Preference settings. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Yes and yes. VE PRO versions are the latest on both computers and I have restarted VE PRO after I changed the settings. 'VE Pro 1 Main' is working perfectly no matter which computer I connect it to but in 'VE Pro 2 Main' only the first three ports function no matter which computer I connect it to.

• I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can. Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations ;) Hats up

• I am a huge fan of using VE Pro with Logic  and as Paul knows I am directly responsible for lots of people buying it, but while the VSL guys have done an admirable job with the Multipoort layer IMHO it is far from the cleanest and most efficient way to use the two together.,

My advice? Use  VE Pro "projects" (v-frames) like lines on a score page, one for Violin 1 with its various articvulations, another for Violin 2, etc.

Connect each to a stereo instance of the server plugin in Logic Pro with as many MIDI channels as you need. (Typically with the EW Hollywood Orchestra e.g. 8 or so well chosen articulations will give you all you need 90% of the time) For realy excellent workflow buy Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 or the AG Toolkit  Pro and  you can move between the articulations while recording on a single track. 1 track = 1 instrument. Isn't that what most of us want?

Best CPU core distribution, most natural workflow for those classically trained, and least complicated, 

• last edited
    last edited

@sambosun said:

I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can.

Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations 😉
    Hats up

I am register for Beta 10.11

I will report if VSL is ok to send me the VE for AU3 Beta

I just pray that we will have the Logic Expression Maps with it ! (can you go in Logic main menu and request it in Logic Pro Feedback)

This morning I had a message from Logic asking me to upgrade osascript, does anybody know what osascript does ?

• last edited
    last edited

@sambosun said:

I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can.

Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations 😉
    Hats up

I just pray that we will have the Logic Expression Maps with it ! (can you go in Logic main menu and request it in Logic Pro Feedback)

Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 for all practical purposes gives you "Logic Expression Maps."