Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,657 users have contributed to 42,667 threads and 256,810 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

The attached image is a screenshot showing a few articulations in the score which were quickly and easily assigned with the highlighted MIDI channel selection box shown on the left... in the score....
    So when you talk about your eyes never leaving the score, you mean you have to move your eyes to the left to that "MIDI channel section box". If you're willing to move your eyes that far, there are solutions, but I'll withhold them since they're not the specific solution you're fixating on, and so you'd deem them irrelevant no doubt.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

there are solutions

I wasn't looking for an alternative solution, I was inquiring how I go about changing articulations within Vienna Instruments by MIDI channels.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I wasn't looking for an alternative solution

and so I'm prepared for you to remain unsatisfied.

• last edited
    last edited

@BachRules said:

But Play is really zero-timbral, because it crashed.

This is pointless and again irrelevant to my inquiry. Vienna Instruments is not multitimbral, whereas other samplers are.

I am not requesting Vienna to remove any of the articulation accessing features that others enjoy and have become reliant on, but merely asking for the implementation of what I consider to be basic functionality.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I am not requesting Vienna to remove any of the articulation accessing features that others enjoy and have become reliant on, but merely asking for the implementation of what I consider to be basic functionality.

You are asking them to divert their limited resources into adding a feature for solving a problem which already has other solutions (the alternative solutions requiring no more eye-movement or "clumsy fiddling and nudging" than your own preferred solution). Diverting reources into a redundant solution would mean diverting resources away from different issues, hence my reservations.

If the functionality you want is truly "basic", VSL will hear requests from numerous customers for this functionality. If that doesn't happen, maybe the functionality wasn't so basic after all.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

You are asking them to divert their limited resources into adding a feature for solving a problem which already has other solutions

I am requesting a feature that would be beneficial to working within a score editor.

• I did not read the 3 pages of this discussion, if you use Logic it is easy to do, you just need a few Transformers in the Environnement

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

...if you use Logic it is easy to do, you just need a few Transformers in the Environnement

Thanks a lot Cyril, I super appreciate the suggestion and will check it out.  I thought there might be a way within the Environment.

• last edited
    last edited

@civilization 3 said:

By design/an oversight is a contradiction.

You don't like keyswitches is all this says to me. The VI Pro interface offers vastly more than another interface in terms of what can be done in one 'instrument' instance.

It is not a contradiction, in that Vienna Instruments was designed without multitimbral capabilties

I feel pretty sure the designers were aware of virtual instruments that used more than one MIDI channel and that is was a conscious choice. The word 'oversight' does not agree with 'designed not to'.

I don't use it or need to, but the thing I showed you claims to "allow the user to select and display articulations directly from the Main window without the need for Key Switches, Program and Control Changes embedded within Logic’s editors." so my assumption was the point is a clean score, ie., a Logic version of Expression Maps.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

the thing I showed you claims to "allow the user to select and display articulations directly from the Main window without the need for Key Switches, Program and Control Changes embedded within Logic’s editors." so my assumption was the point is a clean score, ie., a Logic version of Expression Maps.

I do appreciate the heads-up regarding the articulation switcher at the link you posted. I just wish I could do it by simply assigning unique MIDI channels to the articulations within Vienna Instruments.

I surely don't mean to discredit the functionality that Vienna Instruments has to offer (in which I realize is quite extensive), I simply enjoy my workflow and wish I was able to do so with Vienna Instruments.

• last edited
    last edited

@civilization 3 said:

the designers were aware of virtual instruments that used more than one MIDI channel and that is was a conscious choice

Yes of course, I understand what you are saying. I just thought that perhaps the decision to exclude mutitimbral functionality was overlooking composers like myself that prefer the articulation selecting method I've described.

I used to work for Dave Smith making (multitimbral) synths, and we would often omit certain features while looking straight at composers who wanted those features, because to succeed in business we had to aim for the center of the bell curve instead of the sides.

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

...if you use Logic it is easy to do, you just need a few Transformers in the Environnement

Thanks a lot Cyril, I super appreciate the suggestion and will check it out.  I thought there might be a way within the Environment.

the way to do it :

if midi = 2 send before the note the keyswitch let say C0

if midi = 3 send C#0 before the note

and so on

If you are an Environment guru you can use the Map in the transformer so you have one transformer, otherwise you put your transformers in cascade

Do not forget to duplicate the item (note, cotroler....)

• [quote=civilization 3],

YES

You need to write to the Logic team, more we ask more there is chance they do it.

I have been asking it for 10 years.

When it was the German team, they told me to use a Notation Program !

I have post on the Apple audio develloper forum, the US team does not answer

You can enroll for the audio develloper forum and ask 

• I think the pragmatic answer is that tool which transforms midi channel into controller or note message.

VSL goes back to the beginning of time in terms of control of sample instruments (cf. Performance Tool, Gigasampler) and there is I think an expectation of an end user that grew tired of a new track every time you want the next articulation.

• Hi George,

I understand you desired workflow, I used to work like that during a short period where I was new to orchestral samples and had hands onto the EastWest Orchestra. As those were my first steps into virtual orchestration, most of the times 4-5 articulations seemed sufficient to me. When I moved to Vienna Instruments, I tried to implement this workflow and - just as you - had to learn, that this is not possible within VI.

But, I also learned, that the note-by note midi-channel is a unique Logic-feature. It is not possible to assign an individual channel per event in ProTools, and I do not know, if it is possible in Cubase or DP.

However, when I started out to really use the abundance of articulations of the larger libraries, I soon realized, that the limitation to 16 slots would not be acceptable for me either, so I changed my approach to using keyswiches, and I advise you to do so as well.

Anyway, your repeated insisting on noting that VI is not multitimbral is not helping. You are ignoring all the hints, that you are comparing the wrong products. You have to compare Play/Kontakt with Vienna Ensemble (and not with VI). You can load 16 VIs into one VE instance, and you load the desired articulation into each VI. Tho whole setup can be stored from the VE host (as viframe), so that all VIs including the loaded patches can be restored with one mouseclick - exactly as you would do using contact.

• MassMover, I really appreciate you sharing your experience and the suggestion to consider adapting to a new workflow using keyswitches.

I have been using my current workflow within Logic for a long time and really enjoy the fact that I can assign a unique MIDI channel to individual notes in order to change articulations. I'm all for embracing the future and adapting, but this workflow is so fast and clean it's difficult to consider another. I do use the entire catalog of EastWest orchestral samples but would enjoy incorporating the Vienna sounds too, I was rather surprised though to find out that I couldn't use my existing workflow.

I do realize that a more appropriate comparison would be of VE Pro to PLAY, which allows generally the same articulation selecting method and more. At this stage I am trying out the various methods available within Vienna Instruments and VE Pro for articulation selection.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and tips.

• Geore, I understand what you are asking for, and like everyone else I'd urge you to learn to use key switches to change articulations and enable velocity crossfade on your instruments.

However, if the transformers don't work, the only solution I can think of for you would be to write a program in Max that would be between your DAW and VI. Load the desired instrument in VI -> When ever data over a new midi channel is sent the Max program intercepts it and -> sends a key switch based on what midi channel is sent, as opposed to actually changing the midi channel (This is just a basic outline, there are more details that would need to be addressed but you get the idea)

Honestly, I don't see how having every different articulation on a seperate midi channel is more convient then having an entire instrument on  single channel and being able to change articulations via key switches, and I would be worried about stuck notes, but if it works for you then thats all that matters. Good luck.

Michael

• last edited
    last edited

@mschmitt said:

However, if the transformers don't work,

It will work, you can do a lot of things in the Environment of Logic, I use Bank and Program changes to deal with my Articulations changes

With the new  Logic X you can write Macro( in Java ?), but you cannot acces to the Score events yet !

• I just received this :

Hi,

I released the new Articulation Maps PRO (AM-PRO). You can create Articulation Maps, where each Map can contain a KS, PC and up to 4 CC messages - now you fill
    a form like in Cubase for example.
    Each Map can be assigned to a custom MIDI Channel as well. There are tons of extras as well. Have a look at VIDEO 3 (AM- PRO) in the site and download the Manual
    if you want. Here is the web link:
    http://www.audiogrocery.com/a.g_toolkit_pro.htm

Regards,

Ivan

• last edited
    last edited

@mschmitt said:

Honestly, I don't see how having every different articulation on a seperate midi channel is more convient then having an entire instrument on  single channel and being able to change articulations via key switches, and I would be worried about stuck notes, but if it works for you then thats all that matters. Good luck.

This might be because you are not aware how Logic is handling midi channel information. Each single event, be it a note or a CC has its own channel information, usually set to 1. Logic uses this to handle piano staves with flexible splitpoints - notes which are set to channel 3 are displayed in the lower staff, channel 1 in the upper.

In the track settings you usually select ONE midichannel, so that the individual note-by-note channels are ignored, and all events are sent to your VSTs on that selected channel. So the note-by-note distinction is merely meant for logics internal use.

BUT, you can swich the track's channel to ALL, which means that the individial channel information is forwarded to the receiving instrument. So, you do not have multiple midi tracks (one for each articulation) which all adress the same multitimbral plugin, but one single track that controls the multi. You can consider the individual channel information as a third note information (besides pitch and velocity) so that you do not need any further entries (like keyswiches or CCs).

Indeed I would find it VERY useful, if there was a way to switch between more than 16 articulations by simply altering one value which is directly tied to the specific note, just as you alter velocity. VI has 144 Cells, maybe 127 possible slots would suffice.

Cubase Expression maps seem to come close to that approach, and maybe I will give the above mentioned Articulation maps PRO a try when I finally upgrade to Logic X.

Thinking about the VE workaround - this is not really an equivalent, as it would not be possible to play - say - a sustain patch, and then a legato transition, because the legato patches won't trigger the transition from a note which is played in another instance of VI