Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,303 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• Just to clarify, when Peter speaks of 'Level 2' he's referring to the Extended version of libraries, which add fancier articulations (for example, trills) to the basic styles you get in the Standard version.

• I really appreciate the many thoughtful responses. You have left a great first impression of your community.

Based on the advice given here, I watched the Vienna Suite videos in the User Area. It appears that Vienna Suite can give these samples the finished sound I'm looking for, and for less than it would cost to get into MIR Pro. So I'll be adding Vienna Suite to my list, and most likely waiting on MIR Pro.

To answer a couple of your questions, I'm not a student, and my DAW is Cubase.

A couple of posters mentioned Appassionata Strings and "big sound." While I like the thick "Hollywood" sound, I'm also a trained classical musician, and sometimes I like my strings a bit more restrained. Would I be better off purchasing Orchestral Strings and layering it with Dimension Strings when I want a bigger sound? It looks like Orchestral Strings has a lot more articulations (flexibility) than Appassionata Strings for about the same price.

Thanks again.

• I love VSL.  If there is a complaint, it is that it is confusing which products to buy.  Ensemble, Vienna Suite, MIR...I honestly don't know what those are or when to use which one.

I have Vienna Instruments Pro and Ensemble.  I have no idea when to use Ensemble, or why I would need the Pro version.  No idea what Vienna Suite and MIR are.  Not a criticism: just a comment that a very clear description would help.

There is a video for the Pro Version of Ensemble, but a chart with when to use which product and why would be helpful.

Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Vienna Ensemble, Vienna Suite, MIR...I honestly don't know what those are... I have Vienna Instruments Pro and Ensemble.  I have no idea when to use Ensemble, or why I would need the Pro version.  No idea what Vienna Suite and MIR are.

OK, the Vienna Instruments Pro player has more facilities than the regular Vienna Instruments player - for example, it has eight sound slots, automatic voice assigment, time-stretching, etc. Vienna Ensemble is a mixing host which lets you assemble multiple Vienna instruments players, assign them to different MIDI channels, adjust their volume and pan settings, etc. The Pro version of Vienna Ensemble can host third-party instruments such as Kontakt, so you can use it to create multi-library templates.

Vienna Suite is a collection of effects plug-ins (incl. EQ, compressor, limiter, reverb, etc.) which you can apply to the instruments you're running inside Vienna Ensemble, or in your DAW. MIR is VSL's top-end convolution reverb which accurately simulates a bunch of different acoustic spaces (inc. famous concert halls) and lets you position instruments around a virtual stage. HTH!

• Much has been said already, so I just add a few thoughts:

1. As your starting budget is rather high, and "starting" to me implies that you eventually plan to extend your libraries later on, I would not advise you to buy the complete SE, but only the basic Volume 1, so you have all the standard instruments of the Orchestra. This is only 310EUR so you still have plenty of money left for further consideration. If you plan to use less frequently used instruments like basset horn, alto flute and so on, you might add volume 2. As you are planning to extend your library in the future, do not go for the vol1+2PLUS, as they give you some additional articulations, but never the flexibility of the extended versions of the bigger libraries.

2. The introductory offer for Dimension Strings is great, so go for it, but keep in mind, that you cannot use it as your only string lib at the beginning, as you only have the violins, maybe in june the cellos, but the release date for the violas and basses is unknown. The appassionata strings I (full) could be a nice addition.

3. The Vienna suite might be a very good collection, but it still is just a collection of producing tools, all of which can be found in any DAW such as cubase. You have to learn, how to set up a virtual orchestra with digital reverb plug-ins, EQs and so on, you can learn this with the Cubase effects as well. If in the end there is monay left, I would rather buy MIR, cause this is unique technology.

4. Maybe you still have some money left for one or two collections like Brass I or Woodwinds I, consider what you need more, maybe you can get the extended version of your preferred section

5. If you are in favour of one specific instrument, there is still the opportunity to buy its full version as a single instrument.

• Symfoniq, FWIW, given my own compositional preferences, I chose Orchestra Strings over AP Strings (also have Solo I and Chamber I).  The Orchestra Strings was VSL's first ensemble strings library and is set up differently from all their other string modules.  Rather than libraries I and II being divided into normal and sordino, orchestra strings is divided into violins/violas, and cellos/basses.  You may have noticed that, but in the past some have missed that key difference - you will need both Orchestra Strings I and II.  The sordinos in OS are a bit more limited than in some of the newer libraries, but certainly provide enough.  As for AP Strings, I find the lack of articulations in the bass section to be particularly problematic (some others do not find that to be an issue).

Especialy for smaller ensembles, the Chamber Strings are also very good, and the Solo Strings are excellent.  For those who prefer writing for smaller ensembles, sometimes Chamber Strings have ended up being the first full strings library purchased.  Before AP Strings existed, one common technique was to layer OS, CS and SS.  Of course, with Dimension Strings, new realms of possibilities have emerged (I don't currently own DS).

IMO, what cannot be overemphasized is the importance of purchasing libraries that mesh with the style(s) you intend to write.

• Hi Symfoniq.

Could you tell us the specs of the computer or computers you have? This will help out in helping you select the right libraries. SE takes very little horsepower compared to the full libraries, with the trade off of a lot less samples and articulations.

If you want to do orchestral music, and have the computing power to run it, I'd go with the Cube and VS. I think you'll soon outgrow the SE, and the VS comes with presets for each instrument which makes it very easy to get a great "professional" sound.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

5. If you are in favour of one specific instrument, there is still the opportunity to buy its full version as a single instrument.

I'm leaning toward taking this approach instead of buying the full Brass and Woodwinds libraries. Are there any downsides to buying download instruments instead of purchasing the full libraries?

Thank you, noldar12, for your insight on the various VSL string options.

mschmitt, thanks for considering the hardware angle. Based on the VSL boxes I see other people running, I should be in very good shape.

Now another question of my own: In another post in this thread, Mr. Peter Alexander recommends Dimension Brass. I'm interested in this library, but have noticed that I can't find many reviews or opinions expressed. Dimension Brass seems to be something of an enigma. I understand that this library can do things that others can't due to the method of recording, but how does it hold up next to current favorites like CineBrass and Hollywood Brass, or other VSL libraries like Brass I and Epic Horns?

• last edited
    last edited

@Symfoniq said:

Now another question of my own: In another post in this thread, Mr. Peter Alexander recommends Dimension Brass. I'm interested in this library, but have noticed that I can't find many reviews or opinions expressed. Dimension Brass seems to be something of an enigma. I understand that this library can do things that others can't due to the method of recording, but how does it hold up next to current favorites like CineBrass and Hollywood Brass, or other VSL libraries like Brass I and Epic Horns?

Hi again

Remember my advice: Collect some experience with most of the libraies coming with SE. Also learn to use the samples and to mix them so that you get a real orchestra.

Once more: Learn to fly the Cessna before you fly an A380 (as I mentioned above).

After some days or weeks you will know whether you need brass instruments for playing divisi (dimension brass) or not.

It's never to late to buy more (full) libraries or in other words to spend your money..

Keep in mind that dimension strings and dimension brass are sample libraies which are even more complicated to get out the most.

So I highly recommend to learn the producing of music (and I mean music not cold additions of samples) with some standard libraries first.

As you can see the thread is staedily growing. Fact is that all of the users here will recommmend their favourite libraries. This brings you not really to your own decisions, because all of the libraries here at VSL are good! So...

A further simple (Cessna-) approach:

Buy the Chamber Strings (full, they are useful in any case) and try to reach a famous mockup (Eine kleine Nachtmusik for example) as close to the real sound as possible together with the suite effects.

This will show you all the details: Does my technique the job, such as the Audio-Interface, the Monitors, the Screens, the PC/MAC, RAMs, Keyboard, Effects, DAW or the Score-program,...).

and also: Will I really invest the amount of time to produce music with samples in the future (1min. of music = 1 day of work is a good relation).

Do I need some training or education before I'm able to... (Midi, Audio-Mixing, Mastering, DAW etc.)

After that you will have another access to all the matters in connection with the theme, I'm sure.

Lots of questions will be answered. Lots of new questions will appear...?

All the best

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

A couple of posters mentioned Appassionata Strings and "big sound." While I like the thick "Hollywood" sound, I'm also a trained classical musician, and sometimes I like my strings a bit more restrained. Would I be better off purchasing Orchestral Strings and layering it with Dimension Strings when I want a bigger sound? It looks like Orchestral Strings has a lot more articulations (flexibility) than Appassionata Strings for about the same price.

Don't get caught up in the Hollywood thing. Seriously. The Appassionatas are the most Berlin Phil sounding string library I've ever heard. It's an absolute work horse regardless of genre.

• last edited
    last edited

@Symfoniq said:

Are there any downsides to buying download instruments instead of purchasing the full libraries?

There are no downsides regarding the instruments themselves, if you buy the Full library of a single instrument. The samples are exactly the same as in the Collection. Though, if you only buy the standard lib of a single instrument, it will be not only limited in its number of articulations, but also those patches are reduced in some ways. You still can upgrade them by buying the extended portion later without any loss of money.

You should, though, consider another aspect, that has not been mentioned yet: You need the Vienna Key (a hardware dongle) to run any VSL product. If you loose this key by accident or by theft, then VSL will assume that you gave it to sombody else and will not replace your licences. If the key gets broken after its 2y warranty period, you will get another one, but you have to pay a fee of 30EUR plus 20EUR PER LIICENCE. So, if you have WW1 that would be 2 licences to replace (1std, 1 ext.), if you build up your wood wind choir from single instruments that would be at least 4 licences (fl,ob,cl,bs)

Discussions regarding this issue have come up periodically, you can search the forum for "vienna key". 

• I already have a Steinberg key, but VSL's stance on lost and broken eLicenser keys is news to me. I've read a few threads about it on this forum, and while I know the opinion of a newbie probably won't carry much weight here, I have serious reservations, particularly in regards to the 50% fee to replace lost licenses. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, VSL users can't remotely deactivate their own licenses. I understand VSL's argument that there are legal issues with them remotely deactivating licenses, but that's not the same thing as the user remotely deactivating licenses. I do it all the time with other vendors' software whenever I need to use it on a different computer. As insanely great as Vienna Instruments and Vienna Ensemble appear to be, I'm surprised VSL hasn't come up with a more elegant solution to this problem. I will have to think about the license situation before making any VSL purchases (and perhaps consult with my insurer).

In any case, please consider this thread closed. Thanks again for all the great feedback.

• last edited
    last edited

@Symfoniq said:

please consider this thread closed
    OK, but one last thought [:)]: I believe undue weight has been placed in this forum on the lost licenses question. First of all, people don't usually lose their keys. Secondly, VSL are a reasonable, intelligent company, and if someone lost their licenses through no fault of their own, I'm sure they would take the circumstances into account and do their best to help. if the company's stated policy suggests otherwise, it's probably because they need some protection in place against people fraudulently trying to obtain licenses - 99.9% of users are honest, but there's an awful lot of sample piracy out there. Having watched VSL operate since the early days, I don't believe they regard license replacement as a sneaky way to generate extra income.