Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,115 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

VSL has been working a lot improving VI and VE 

MIR PRO also has been a BIG work

Yes, that's right.  But what about their Sample Libraries ?  I mean NEW Orchestral Libraries ? When will they be released ? soon or never ? 

• The real challenge for VSL is a wordbuilder...  [H]  [:D]

Imagine...

Hmmm,  let's not repeat all the same thing   :  http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/31976/202891.aspx#202891

[:D]

• By that you probably mean a "WORDbuilder" I guess. [:P]

I don't think we will ever see a really convincing one.  My guess is there will be new strings ... this year!?

• Edited,  thank you!   [:D]

VSL can do a realist one,  you know it!  [:D]

• New strings again? Aaw. Unfortunately their strings are not the type of sound that I go for, and I feel that way across the whole selection, from Solo to Appassionata. I don't mean to say that they sound bad, they're just not my style. Having said that, all their other instruments are perfect for me so my vote goes to a non-string-related library! However...I am imagining what it would be like if they released "Dimension Strings". That would be very cool.

• Well... so far nothing, maybe in August ?    Still waiting       [:)] 

• Tomorrow the actual campaign ends. I will eat my hat, if there won't be any news the next days (luckily I don't wear a hat!!!). 

• VEP AND VIP compatible with Mountain Lion !!!

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  30% off for students!  [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Vincent M said:

30% off for students! 

You mean 30% off the (Upcoming NEW VSL Orchestral Libraries)  .. Right ?   [;)]    

• Let's examine some of the factors that would need to be considered:

1. Hiring musicians of very high caliber to go back into the stuido for 80, or 100 or 130 or maybe even 300 hours to get a new Chamber strings library that has the same number of different articulations as say the solo violin series. Might need 400 hours for that. Six violins, 4 violas, 3 cello and 3 bass. Lots of people-hours.

2. Is there really a market out there.

My personal wish list would be to have different sections for orchestra as in the real world -for chamber orchestra say 4 stands of first, and then in a departure from the current configuration a seperate group for 4  stands of second violins; 3 stands of violas, 3 stands of cello and 2 stands of bass.  Also in the woodwinds first, second and third stands of each woodwind instrument would be preferred as opposed to having a tutti approach for a3 clarinets, flutes, bassons etc. Same with brass although it seems the new virtuoso brass does this. The idea is that a the seperate voice configurations for an independent 'chair' (with perhaps even a 4th chair woodwind player) offers a more real to life configuration than the current articulations.

• last edited
    last edited

@rverne10 said:

Also in the woodwinds first, second and third stands of each woodwind instrument would be preferred as opposed to having a tutti approach for a3 clarinets, flutes, bassons etc
    AGREED. Unfortunately doubling instruments by transposing them a half-step up or down doesn't quite sound right to me. It still seems like there's a lot of phasing just because of the clear overtones of most woodwind instruments and the consistency of expression from one note to the next. I have to use a lot of EQ and panning, which is counter-productive to the attempt to make them sound like one section sitting next to one another. Though we already have two soloists for most of the woodwind section, so really just one more is necessary to get Dimension Brass-levels of control over ensemble size.

• My 2c worth here... definitely a dimension strings - something to compete with LASS. I have resisted buying LASS because I prefer the VSL sound and I believe they will eventually outdo it (as per the VSL MO), but the usefullness of writing with proper sections and not having to double up larger sections to get intervals, is really helpful. Having the humanize feature in the software would make a divisi string section even better.

No need whatsoever to re-do chamber strings, or the solo strings IMO, unless releasing a few new articulations to add on to the existing library (if possible). The full orchestral library is always going to be good for single lines and just for another sound. But IMO I strongly think VSL should do a new full divisi based library that out does the competition and then some - something that will last another decade.

However, even single lines will sound better with divisi sections playing together - the attacks and the modulation of the humanise feature working together will just give an amazing realism.

As for articulations, we can always use more. Also in a previous thread some months ago someone mentioned really being able to get really super pianissimo sounds - I agree with that too. The full spectrum is always good :)

No criticism on existing strings from me, but they are 12+ years old now (and still standing proudly). But, divisi is the way and the VSL software is clearly set up to take advantage of that. They'd be crazy not to do it (sooner than later though!!!) :)

Lastly... maybe not possible but wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a wet and dry option as well - so we have the traditional dry stage recordings but also - somehow if it could be done in the same session a more distant microphone with more early and some late reflections. Not exactly a wet version by any means but something certainly more coloured.

• last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

Lastly... maybe not possible but wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a wet and dry option as well - so we have the traditional dry stage recordings but also - somehow if it could be done in the same session a more distant microphone with more early and some late reflections. Not exactly a wet version by any means but something certainly more coloured.

Oh..Oh.. didn't you know, this is a big Taboo for VSL ... even to suggest it.  

Everythihg has to be sampled bone-dry in the silent stage  [;)] 

• last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

Everythihg has to be sampled bone-dry in the silent stage   

The Silent Stage is not bone dry. Far from it. I think you'll also find that there were a multitude of microphones for the strings sections, and what we get is a mic mix. Hopefully someone from VSL will be able to clarify that.

As far a multi microphone samples are concerned, it is fairly unnecessary, IMO, unless the reverb tail is long. However, I do understand that some people would like to be able to control the close/far mix themselves, even though with VSL I've never found this to be a problem. Possibly the one exception for me would be the Appassionata Strings, which I find a little too diffuse at times.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

Everythihg has to be sampled bone-dry in the silent stage   

The Silent Stage is not bone dry. Far from it. I think you'll also find that there were a multitude of microphones for the strings sections, and what we get is a mic mix. Hopefully someone from VSL will be able to clarify that.

As far a multi microphone samples are concerned, it is fairly unnecessary, IMO, unless the reverb tail is long. However, I do understand that some people would like to be able to control the close/far mix themselves, even though with VSL I've never found this to be a problem. Possibly the one exception for me would be the Appassionata Strings, which I find a little too diffuse at times.

DG

Well .... To my ears, VSL instruments without any reverb do sound 'bone-dry' !   If there is a bit of lively reflections in that room, I surely  don't hear them registering in the dry instrument/s samples. 

• last edited
    last edited

@muziksculp said:

Well .... To my ears, VSL instruments without any reverb do sound 'bone-dry' !   If there is a bit of lively reflections in that room, I surely  don't hear them registering in the dry instrument/s samples. 

You need to improve your hearing then. Now Sample Modeling; that's bone-dry. [;)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@muziksculp said:

You need to improve your hearing then. Now Sample Modeling; that's bone-dry.

DG

Haha... No Problem. I will make an appointment with an Ear Doctor ASAP !  and tell him I need to hear the lively reflections in VSL samples, so he better cure my hearing problem (fast)      [:P]

Back to the main topic...  Hope to see new VSL Orchestral Libraries !  (I'm guessing you would be happy to see that happen too). or maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Muziksculp   

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Back to the main topic...  Hope to see new VSL Orchestral Libraries !  (I'm guessing you would be happy to see that happen too). or maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Muziksculp   

If VSL releases something I need, I'll get it, but not having anything new is not holding me up at all. Besides, most of the things I need would probably be of no interest to anyone else. [;)]

DG

• No student discount  [:'(]

Maybe next month...  [:D]