Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,214 users have contributed to 42,284 threads and 255,018 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• And there's also the Notion SLE experiment (which I own), that plays along with any changes on the fly, using about 2-4Gb of RAM only. So a VSL notation package would better that, and loading times (after the initial one) should be non-existent to minimal on a big system, since we mostly make one alteration on one instrument/staff at a time. There are notational reasons and some bugs that didn't endear me to Notion, but I think a VSL Studio Package (Pro) which would take one from inspiration all the way to post-mastering would be phenomenal. 

As with the other post I had created on this topic, there is no contribution at all from the 'brass'. Come on guys, you can at least tell us not to waste our "breaths" on this one...

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

there is no contribution at all from the 'brass'. Come on guys, you can at least tell us not to waste our "breaths" on this one...

Yeah! ...what he said! lol

It would be nice to know that VSL was working on something like this... but whether they would even consider it is something I don't picture them making vocal at all. I imagine they wouldn't want to create an expectation unless they know for sure that it will happen.

I also think that most VSL users are not using notation. I think we've already covered the 'why' there... but because of this, if VSL has any real sense of being able to gauge this... I think it wouldn't be in this forum section. VSL would have to see how all users react to the idea of such a program. I believe that most people would love it!

-Sean

• I'm not sure; I think most people using Symphobia and Cinescamples might not be using notation, but I think there are a lot of film-composers and orchestrators who have used VSL products long before those products came about, and who still do. I believe that all these people still use notation proper at least at some stage of production - there's no reason for them not to, so I think the majority of their customers would qualify for such a package. However, this would be a leap for VSL, as they would have to either hire new blood, or pay Sibelius/Finale/NoteAbilityPro/Lilypond etc. for a collaboration on a VSL specific notation platform on the side, whatever.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

However, this would be a leap for VSL, as they would have to either hire new blood, or pay Sibelius/Finale/NoteAbilityPro/Lilypond etc. for a collaboration on a VSL specific notation platform on the side, whatever.

I don't see this as big leap. VSL products are already tailored to respond to midi, to handle most of the available audio hardware and software, and most of all, to interact with each other. Like you said before, the hard work is already done. They have the reverb, the host, the mixer AND the samples. Making a simple midi-notation platform shouldn't be that difficult, unless they intend to handle the other aspect of notation: printing and publishing. This is where I agree a big leap would be necessary, as the technology involved is completely alien to audio.

But, if the midi-notation scope is kept, and the software only handles composing and performing, I believe the hard work was already done. Of course we users would need to bring the composition to sibelius or finale for printing, or maybe to a DAW for fine-tuning a mock up.

• Hi Errikos,

I have to say that NoteAbilityPro really impressed me!!

At that notation quality , adding  a VSL playback ....is going to be a real  breathtaking !!

Anyway, any other notation program which will be willing to embrace VSL probably would be a great assest !!

That doesn't mean that VSL has to abandon their own idea (if they have one) about a notation software integrated in their own package ;))

Nice and intersting thread

• Hey Bogdan, you see there's a lot out there that's impressive but not marketed well. 

And Tralen, I hope you're right, however I was hoping for a notation program that would replace Sibelius for me (not just for printing), that means a program where the Rite of Spring, Daphnis and Chloe, or Harry Potter III could be fully input and interpreted - let alone a late Lutoslawcki work. I'd certainly not be happy with a VSL notation program that could just handle divisi Zimmer quavers, a few Taiko hits, and some brass held-chords; I don't think the professional clients I mentioned earlier would be either. Now if a proper notation program would not be a big deal for VSL to develop, so much the better!

• I'm wondering about the player capability of notationability pro since they have not posted anything in this matter.

I read through their features and it says that suports 6 audio units ..but nothing more.It would be intersting to hear some of their notation features played by some library.

err..wait in one pic I think I've seen  synful orchestra ...

Regarding the VSL notation software, I think I agree with Errikos ..indeed is better to avoid aproaching things just for the sake of having something covered...we have a lot of other guys doing exactly the same thing.

But if they really start looking into it, is going to take a little bit longer till we get something profesional with full implementation of contemporary music notation and interpretation...it's a lot of work to cover ..

• last edited
    last edited

@bogdan said:

But if they really start looking into it, is going to take a little bit longer till we get something profesional with full implementation of contemporary music notation and interpretation...it's a lot of work to cover ..

The reality, like Errikos said, is that the majority doesn't use notation as their prime composing tool, therefore expecting VSL to take that road is feable speculation. But, I think, if they take the chance, they would captivate a lot of users that, like myself, are trying to settle with one library and one notation software, two concepts that, at the moment, appear to be mutually exclusive.

The lack of interest of VSL people in the topic also disallows our imagination.

• last edited
    last edited

@Tralen said:

the majority doesn't use notation as their prime composing tool, therefore expecting VSL to take that road is feable speculation. But, I think, if they take the chance, they would captivate a lot of users that, like myself, are trying to settle with one library and one notation software, two concepts that, at the moment, appear to be mutually exclusive.

Just because most VSL users use a traditional DAW doesn't mean that they don't want Notation. I don't use VSL and Sibelius, I use cubase... but if I felt like I could adequately use notation to compose, I'd do it in a heartbeat! There are others who do also, so the idea isn't ready to dismiss.

Question for anyone:

What about a "Vienna Composer" instead of V-notation, basically a VSL DAW instead? In Cubase VST Expression is nice, but still isn't quite built in a way that perfectly compliments VSL. DAW's have piano rolls AND notation and we all know there's a gap there. Most times I prefer notation, but no daw adequately accomplishes this with the complexity of VSL and the piano roll certainly has uses that traditional notation doesn't serve as well. So instead of a new concept, simply give VSL these features.

VE is already half way there... I agree with the points that VSL has a lot of what they need already done. Imagine "Vienna DAW" or even "VE Daw edition" or just a new version of VE - The DAW could be built on VE. VE is already a VST host, a mixer, a network program, and so on. In addition to it's features, just add midi sequencing, with a piano roll and notation editor and you're done. Maybe add some VI or VI Pro features that work better for playback in those editor - but I think it would be much easier to build these features in VE than create a new program. It wouldn't need to have every feature that Cubase has. Cubase, Pro Tools, DP, and others don't all have the exact same features and design. VSL could have VE simply add what VSL users want from DAW's that we currently aren't getting... Personally, I think this approach would solve a lot of problems without creating new ones.

Any thoughts on this? I love the idea.

• I believe I had mentioned exactly that on the old post, which is that VSL should go ahead and create a DAW complete with notation, since only the sequencer and automation are missing from what they have developed already.

For the record I actually said that most people do use traditional and sophisticated notation software, especially at the high and mid-high end of the industry - as well as some of us at the other end of the spectrum[:(]

• Hey Traien,

Being myself involved in music ( grad student and also T.A) I can definetely say that there are classes of composition and orchestration which are waiting for something serious from this point of view. For example, where I study, they rely on Finale, but just for printing out scores...in rest they are on their knees beging pianists to play some midi files for them or waiting reluctantly in the line for some conductors to play their pieces. 

I think is a matter of marketing also. VSL should be present in every major university to prove that the "sound" can be reached and there are major progresses in this area. A flyer sent to music departments could cost a little but I think could be a benefit in the end. There is definetly another segment of musicians involved in music notation.

The lack of interest from VSL people doesn't mean that the notation world is at its end-- the way I see it is more optimistic .It can act as an impuls from VSL to campain for gathering more notation composers  to acces VSL site.

• last edited
    last edited

@Tralen said:

the majority doesn't use notation as their prime composing tool, therefore expecting VSL to take that road is feable speculation. But, I think, if they take the chance, they would captivate a lot of users that, like myself, are trying to settle with one library and one notation software, two concepts that, at the moment, appear to be mutually exclusive.

Just because most VSL users use a traditional DAW doesn't mean that they don't want Notation. I don't use VSL and Sibelius, I use cubase... but if I felt like I could adequately use notation to compose, I'd do it in a heartbeat! There are others who do also, so the idea isn't ready to dismiss.

Question for anyone:

What about a "Vienna Composer" instead of V-notation, basically a VSL DAW instead? In Cubase VST Expression is nice, but still isn't quite built in a way that perfectly compliments VSL. DAW's have piano rolls AND notation and we all know there's a gap there. Most times I prefer notation, but no daw adequately accomplishes this with the complexity of VSL and the piano roll certainly has uses that traditional notation doesn't serve as well. So instead of a new concept, simply give VSL these features.

VE is already half way there... I agree with the points that VSL has a lot of what they need already done. Imagine "Vienna DAW" or even "VE Daw edition" or just a new version of VE - The DAW could be built on VE. VE is already a VST host, a mixer, a network program, and so on. In addition to it's features, just add midi sequencing, with a piano roll and notation editor and you're done. Maybe add some VI or VI Pro features that work better for playback in those editor - but I think it would be much easier to build these features in VE than create a new program. It wouldn't need to have every feature that Cubase has. Cubase, Pro Tools, DP, and others don't all have the exact same features and design. VSL could have VE simply add what VSL users want from DAW's that we currently aren't getting... Personally, I think this approach would solve a lot of problems without creating new ones.

Any thoughts on this? I love the idea.

"What about a "Vienna Composer" instead of V-notation, basically a VSL DAW instead?

Knowing the quality of this company, I would even pay in advance for such a feature, and I 'm  talking seriously here.

• [quote=Errikos]For the record I actually said that most people

I saw but forgot to mention it in my post. I do realize that many use notation.

As a compositional tool, notation has suffered in this area... at least in relationship to using VSL or other complex sample libraries. Now that I've got this in my head, I don't think I'll be happy until it happens. Give me a VE Daw and a Divisi Library and I'll never leave my computer again! lol

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@bogdan said:

Knowing the quality of this company, I would even pay in advance for such a feature, and I 'm  talking seriously here.

Same here. I'm poor right now but I'd sell half the crap I own to pay in advance for it. I'd practically give up my right arm for it... lol

-Sean

• Here is the original suggestion all this time ago, thankfully now it is amassing more interest...

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/28179/183579.aspx#183579

• [ I'd sell half the crap I own to pay in advance for it]

Honestly, here you're so damn right ..we have so much crap to sell ....

Nobody I think is milionare but a small effort from all users can make sense for the things to get startet.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

For the record I actually said that most people do use traditional and sophisticated notation software, especially at the high and mid-high end of the industry - as well as some of us at the other end of the spectrum

Oh, I stand corrected! I've read your post again, for some reason I thought you said the opposite.

Well, if this is a valid encouragement, I would also buy VSL notation software, even in advance! Actually, this software could even cause me to drop my other libraries and migrate for VSL entirely.

• last edited
    last edited

@Tralen said:

Actually, this software could even cause me to drop my other libraries and migrate for VSL entirely.

After what we've been currently saying, and after reading this... I think we can all safely say that we are in agreement on this point. We want it, and bad- bad enough that we may call it one of the most essential tools we could want.

'And VSL saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.' lol, that's about how I'd react to this software. I'd start trying to push VSL on those I know like a religion. And just like the Internet, it would reach a point where I'd ask "How did I even live my life before this happened?" lol (I ask this now, owning VSL and looking back at the sounds I once used...cringe....ugh!)

-Sean

• I think for the sake of our discussion and who knows maybe we can get some results from it, a new thread must be created to encourage people to sign in for this program to be started( maybe I'm dreaming with eyes wide open:)). Talking from this Sibelius 7 perspective some of the users maybe are not tempted ..at least Notion users or Finale ..or maybe they are.. I don't know..but a fresh thread and one that clearly asking for vsl notation maybe gets more attention.

At least people from VSL will laugh or they 're gona take us seriously !!;)) 

• last edited
    last edited

@bogdan said:

I think for the sake of our discussion and who knows maybe we can get some results from it, a new thread must be created to encourage people to sign in for this program to be started... a fresh thread and one that clearly asking for vsl notation maybe gets more attention.

At least people from VSL will laugh or they 're gona take us seriously !!;)) 

Well, even if not to 'rally support', lol - I figure we can at least get more ideas or feature requests that in the end might help us. Ideally I would love the notation bit being the main focus... but with any feature request, it's easy to veer off-topic... SO, I created a new thread for this and made it as all-inclusive to a VSL DAW idea as possible. I also brought up the points we posted here for reference (and another divisi one I really like).

I posted "VSL DAW anyone?" under the Vienna Ensemble forum as I felt it would get more feedback there (more users), despite it really being approprate in both forums.

Hopefully if we continue this there and get more users something great can come of this. If I think of any other daw features I would like specifically useful for VSL, I'll add them as well. I think this way we can 1) make it more likely to happen but 2) make this big 'feature request' as applicable to all users (also making it more likely to happen).

-Sean

P.S. I hope no one minds me taking the liberty to post this. I wanted to happen just as much, so I just did it. [;)]