Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,305 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• I believe you both make a good point. Now you need to convince the powers that be at VSL to deal with each customer on a one on one basis. If you have purchased x amount of their library you qaulify foe x a mount of a discount for the forthcoming divisi styled libraries. What do you think?

Gust

•  Today my Dimension Brass DVD arrived. Obviously it is a step ahead in sampling technique. Also spracht Zaratustra and Fanfare for the common man never sounded so well at home. But I wonder why it costs so much. It's just 1 DVD and I think is the most expensive library from VSL. If all the next divisi will cost so much, I will suffer in silence as I can't afford so many future Dimension libraries.

•  If you look at say Brass 1 standard library, that is around 24,000 samples and costs £335 and has trumpet, horn, trombone and tuba. Dimension brass is £415 and has around 68,000 samples and has trumpet, horn, trombone, tuba and bass trombone. So costs about 25% more, yet has about 185% more samples, and one extra instrument (plus of course multiple instruments within the section).

The size (Gb) of the library does not reflect the cost of producing it, it is the creating of all those samples, and the Brass I library size includes the extended library, as they have to be both installed even if you only have one. Even though Dimension Brass is on one DVD, it decompresses to 20Gb. 

•  The brass I extended is 119967 samples and costs less than dimension brass [8-|], so the count of samples is useless

What I meant is that this new technology is very good but even very expensive...

• Gust, I think the solution is here, if I understand well what you propose.

The price of all the new divisi boxes should be calculated on all the boxes bought before. That's to say, someone who bought all VSL should buy the new divisi boxes for a very low price.

This solution would be probably honest for all customers.

David.

• fortunately the pricing policy is not based on discussion or voting ... otherwise my job had vaporized already years ago ;-)

SCNR

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Exactly... as when you frequent a bar in the states, the bar tender buys you drinks from time to time because of your patronage. Patronage is what the VSL users are singing about.

• Oh, sorry but I don't understand your two sentences :(

Could you please present your idea with other words ?

Thank you,

David.

•  If you purchase items from a business and you are a regular customer, the business should give you, as a customer... some kind of deal. The complaints from people on this forum are, that the dimensions brass is a small sampled library. I see this program as a fine invention and yet I do agree with the complaints that the price should be varied. If one owns the entire cube or a substanstial part of it, they should get a deal.

• I can see both sides of the argument. On one side, nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. We all want the latest and greatest when it comes to technology. Whether we really need the newest toys is a different matter.

• Frequent purchase points. FPP card by VSL, great idea. Does the heirarchy ever listen?

• Well, I was also quite overwhelmed that after having spend 10.000€ + (I actually don't wanna know how much it really was) on VSL samples now it starts all over again with a new dimension series. But it seems, this will be brass specific. Since Herb avoided to answere this regarding strings, there might be something under the hood... who knows ...

I really don't mind VSL pushing it further with recording more libraries. After all, VSL samples have their weak points, too. So why not overcome them?

But: The new dimension Brass doesn't really convince me enogh to invest in it for 500€. It's so basic in terms of articulations that there will be a volume two. Maybe even more ... So I think of more like 1000€+ investment to have it complete. That is to much, considering what I already have spent on brass. But that is by no means a complaint - just my decision. The sound didn't really beat good renditions mixing Brass I+II with other brass samples. I can see (and hear) some advantages with this library, but for me they don't justify the price ....

On the other hand, there is one thing, VSL should be considering and that is their hardcore customers (of course I am biased here...). In the past there were more special deals for customers that have a lot of VSL stuff, already. Maybe a special deal would have convinced me to buy, so I am not sure if that is really so smart for the company. In the past I bought some VSL libraries that Ibarely used up to this day, exept for maybe one instrument. And I am not sure, how often I will have the needs for some of the more exotic instruments or articulations in the future. Still I bought them, cause it was just a good deal ... VSL must know, how good dimension brass is selling right now, so I am sure they will react in their own interest.

And one more thing: It's also important, that customers kind of like the company on a long term ... for my part I haven't bought anything from East West any more for a long time. Even though some libs sounded pretty amazing in some terms. I just don't like them any more ... ;-)

•  I agree, but the divisi on all sectionals such as strings, brass, woodwinds will be a fine addtion to this technology and you can be sure there is more under the hood.

•  Hello Titi,
    I can understand your kind of frustration after having bought all the stuff for around 10'0000 euros and don't have more privillege than new buyer!

But the econmical business  has changed..before manufacture gave presents to their old customer to say thank you,like great to have the possibility to work and to work with you and so on...

Now it's exactly the inverse : hello new customer : buy something and I'll give you a present.Thanks to become a customer.

•  Two things,

1. never heard anything as good as Dimension brass on my PC. Yesterday a professional classical musician came to my house and he can't distinguish a  Janacek Sinfonietta on You-tube and me playing Dimension brass horns. It is definitively a step ahead, Like every step ahead, it makes you feel you need it, but than there will be another step, and so on. I have spent a lot of money on the first giga-sampler samples but now they are passed away.
    2. during these years VSL has already offered many discounts to old clients. The last offer closed some days ago.

That said, is a pity that there is always a step ahead in life and they sometime costs more than we can afford.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sergino Futurino said:

2. during these years VSL has already offered many discounts to old clients.

Well, I don't really want to complain about anything VSL do, but as an owner of all the DVD libraries, the offer in December to get a free extended library and discount on more libraries was no good to me, as I already own them all, so that offer was no good to the most loyal customer, but of course there isn't going to be an offer suitable for someone that doesn't need to buy any thing else,  so it's a self defeating point really, thought I mention it though....

What about VSL doing some special extra extended library add ons, that are not available to buy, but are offered to "special customers" (not necessarily free) from time to time, a bit like the Jazz Drums situation .... 

• Of course VSL isn't obligated to do anything.  But offering deals for loyal customers keeps them happy (and generally keeps them buying more and passing along good word of mouth).  Some companies do it, some don't.  I know one of the other string libraries has a new library coming out soon and they're offering it to people who own the original for half price.  Sure they're not making as much on those customers but it sure keeps them happy and wanting more.

• last edited
    last edited

@mike connelly said:

Of course VSL isn't obligated to do anything.  But offering deals for loyal customers keeps them happy (and generally keeps them buying more and passing along good word of mouth).  Some companies do it, some don't.  I know one of the other string libraries has a new library coming out soon and they're offering it to people who own the original for half price.  Sure they're not making as much on those customers but it sure keeps them happy and wanting more.

I understand what you're saying and to some extent agree. However, I hate it when clients try to re-negotiate the price of the next job downwards, just because they've given me work in the past. It always leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

DG

• VSL is the best symphonic library on the market right now. No doubt about it. We all love you guys for making our musical dreams come true!

But do not underestimate the significance of keeping customers, old and new, happy. It can be done by various means, for example by pricing models. But it is very important, no matter how good products you're selling.

So far, I'm happy and buying your fantastic proucts.

Best

Pekay

• Someone complains that he as a good customer isn´t treated better than a new customer, concerning to an entirely new product. But compared with a new customer he has the benefit of products that have the best quality, of software which is sophisticated more than other and which has the longest half-life period... This is the real commitment of VSL, which no new customer has.

Of course it woulf be fine for customers to profit not only in case of upgrades, but also if entirely new products are developed with significant effort and costs. But I can´t understand that someone takes this for granted. This mentality is not my mentality.