Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,163 users have contributed to 42,280 threads and 254,998 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 60 new user(s).

• Interesting.  Identical systems.  Identical problems.  I hope someone at VSL is reading these. [:)]

• Perhaps unrelated, perhaps not -- but I used to see my CPU usage get higher and higher with time until I got dropouts & clicks. Eventually I discovered it had to do with the effects that I had inserted. In particular, my Vienna Suite convolution reverb was on the culprit tracks. Once I had played a single note on a track, the CPU jumped and stayed there forever. Since I had lots of VE Pro instances on many tracks, as I played more instruments, the CPU usage got worse. I solved the problem, for me at least, by moving all of my effects out of Logic and into VE Pro. Won't be a good solution for everyone, but if you have effects inserted, try disabling them and see if your problem reduces or disappears.

• Right now the only FX in my Logic template are 2 instances of Altiverb and an instance of Waves L2.  Nothing else.  And I can't really move those sorts of things to VEP because I'd lose the ability to bus those FX across all VEP instances.  And with like 15-20 instances of VEP, I'd need approximately that many Altiverbs, which would tax the CPU significantly more.

• Same problem here - Nehalem 8-core 2.26 16GB. After a reboot things are generally ok, however I have found that certain Logic projects are susceptible to audio engine overloads after a period of time working on them. In fact I have noticed that the Logic project file sizes increase steadily each time I save - one 20 min cue ended up as 100MB last week, I couldn't hit play without the audio collapsing instantly. But then on a new save the size will drop to 50MB and it's playable again. Other big 16GB-maxed projects run without a hitch.

Looking at Logic CPU monitor all the overload activity is on the last 2 cores, however in Activity Monitor both 64 and 32 bit VE Pro instances remain at 100 - 120% even while Logic is stopped. Logic remains at around 50%. This is without a software instrument track as "midi thru" record enabled. I'm using around 8 frames of VSL, Kontakt 3.5 (4.1 upgrade tomorrow) and Omnishpere, with quite a few Altiverbs, EXSs, Plays etc in Logic.

Would sure love to find a checklist of buffer / settings / guidelines for getting a big template to run smoothly in Logic with VE Pro.

• ....And another one here...same deal...kontakt 4.1 / Logic studio / VE PRO / 8core / 20 gigs RAM / MAC XEON 3.0 /   one cpu is spiking while others are quiet and it gradually gets progressively worse over time....

• ungh, this is still a big problem for me as well.  Best I can figure out... it's probably a good idea to:

a.) turn off multi-core in Kontakt

b.) set VEP to only 1 thread

c.) set up your Logic channel strips so that they're approximately evenly dispersed among different Aux Busses, all of which then lead into either a master bus or simply the main Out.

From what I've read, Logic will split up core activity per Channel Strip.  And since the Master Out is technically a channel strip, then sending all your VEP channel strips there at once can cause Logic to use only the one core (and of course overload it).

HOWEVER,... (and this is a big "but")... this "solution" doesn't really work for me.  And by "really" I mean at all.  I still get CPU spikes after about an hour of use, which prohibit me from using anything too big.

And forget about using any big Multis (eg: LASS auto-arranger multi.)  Those cause such massive spikes that I can't even use a single instance (or play a single note).  And yet when I load one of these ginormous multis directly into an otherwise empty Logic session, lo and behold it works perfectly.  

So to sum:  

- Load "X" into VEP template = CPU spike.  
    - Load "X" into empty Logic session = A-okay.

Now explain that one to me.

• Sorry for not replaying, I totally forgot :( You should have sent me an angry email... It seems you have similar experiences with VE Pro than I have with EW Play. For me, VE works pretty good. Maybe you could try my settings, it may help: - 1 core per VE Instance - Instances on the MacPro use Kontakt 3.5 32bit with the memory server activated - Instances on the PC use Kontakt 3.5 in 64bit. - In Logic, every section splits into two busses: Instruments which need reverb and instruments which don't. I have about 40 busses in Logic. I have Kontakt 4, but since 3.5 works great I did not update my template to K4. I however use K4 within Logic. Core distribution is pretty even. If you have issues with core distribution: Use the I/O plugin with "output larger than 0" and bypass switched on. Then Logic will use another core for this track. But I don't have LASS or other fancy libraries, I simply cannot afford them. On my Mac Pro I have one instance with a number of Play instruments. Works reasonably well, but creates CPU spikes now and then, but it is usable. The only issue that I have is that sometimes, notes will hang. Then I just go into VE Pro and mute/unmute that track. Happens every few minutes, very annoying, but nothing tooooooo bad. I hope Vienna will fix this eventually. Do you think it would be good if I included an overview of my setup in the template? Maybe by chance I found a setup that works reasonably well. EDIT: Why are there no line breaks?

• Hey Novation

I would love to see an overview - I must be honest I see no difference in core processer usage when I use the I/O pligin and setting you describe... maybe include a screen shot of that?

many thanks for your help

Paul

• Hi Novatlan.  Not sure what you mean by "I/O plugin with 'output larger than 0' and bypss switched on."

Is this a setting in Logic, VEP, or Kontakt?

• It is a plugin in Logic. Sometimes (I don't know why) Logic screws up core distribution. Using this plugin makes it use another core, usually a "better" one :)

• last edited
    last edited

@Novatlan said:

Using this plugin makes it use another core, usually a "better" one :)

mmmm :-(  I seem to have seen no evidence of this 'core diverting' on my system using this..

P

• Ah, I see it.  Why Output larger than 0?  And doesn't turning on Bypass deactivate the plugin?

• "output larger than 0" - get whatever is routed down it to the output you select... as for the bypass... it beats me... !!

I tried it both ways [bypassed / unbypassed] on insts / auxs/ rev returns / .audio channels......everything.....and it did F**k all!!  ;)0

Do let me know if you get it do work!!

• As I said. Sometimes Logic has problems distributing core load. If this trick has no effect then Logic manages the cores correctly. I sometimes have to tuse it when I have lots of EW Play instances in my Projects. As or the bypass: It doesn't consume CPU this way.