Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Logic 9.1 and VSL

Logic 9.1 was just released today with 64bit processing. According to the Apple Notes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3171

It is not compatible with "Vienna Symphonic Tool" in 64bit. I just tried it with VEP, and it worked fine, at least launching an instance. I would be curious if this is really an issue.

• When you say "Symphonic Tool" are you talking about the Performance Tool from the legacy EXS release of the Cube?

DG

• That's what Apple indicated, I have no idea what they mean by VS "Tool"

• I'm curious which VSL plugins/instruments are already 64 bit, looks like VE Pro is already.

If some are still 32 bit, any estimate when they might be updated?  Thanks.

• to my knowledge you need to explicitely force 10.6 _and_ logic 9.1 to run in 64bit mode

Vienna Ensemble PRO and Vienna Suite is 64bit, VE (the free one) will probably not be updated, the legacy performance tool will for sure not be updated (as apple indicates the interface is no longer supported).

with VI ... has someone already tried to insert the 32bit VI into logic running in 64bit mode?

i would expect some kind of bit-bridging, otherwise all 32bit plugins (which are almost all) couldn't be used any longer ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I understand Logic 9.1 has a switch in the Get Info for 64 bit, but how do force Snow Leopard? Isn't 64 bit by default?

• snow-leo on a client runs in 32bit mode by default, snow-leo server in 64bit mode.

confirmed - validation of 32bit VI in logic 64bit mode doesn't always work in a first run (marnix just told me) and the *show window* message doubles related to the bit-bridging, but it works. we should see an updated version soon for more convenience though.

christian

• Does running a 64 bit app force snow leopard into 64 bit or do you have to do something?

• last edited
    last edited

There is a good discussion of 64-bit vs 32-bit for Snow Leopard here. Note that as long as you have 64-bit hardware, the only thing that defaults to 32-bit is the kernel. And it doesn't matter to apps that are 64-bit whether the kernel runs in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There is a good discussion of 64-bit vs 32-bit for Snow Leopard here.  Note that as long as you have 64-bit hardware, the only thing that defaults to 32-bit is the kernel.  And it doesn't matter to apps that are 64-bit whether the kernel runs in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

Bingo.

• Thanks for the clarification!

• now this all would be funny if this was a programmer's talk about 32 vs. 64 bit kernel, not-kernel, hardware, EFI, drivers, programs, plug-ins, disabled, enabled, ect ....

for a user's talk it is - to say the least - most confusing, especially when we talk about something claiming since 2001 to be the first, one, only and true 64 bit operating system ...

christian (going back to his BSD OS which is 64 bit since ... wait ... 1994?)

• It's really not that confusing at all.  The mac pros all support 64 bit (and always run it), and all but the earliest of the other intel macs.

The kernel thing is a non-issue and there's no reason for 99% of users to even be aware of it, it has only become confusing because a few bloggers made a big deal about it and posted a fair amount of misinformation and caused the confusion.

I'm not aware of Apple talking about 64 bits in the OS until 10.4, which shipped in 2005, although it's possible there were earlier mentions that I missed.

• Remember the 64-bit PowerPC supercomputers, Mike?

• 2009-11-19 Portland/Oregon: power-7 modules containing 4 processors with 8 cores each running at 4 GHz have been introduced on the SC09 ... yes, no, wait: this is an IBM machine ...

• last edited
    last edited

@Nick Batzdorf said:

Remember the 64-bit PowerPC supercomputers, Mike?

You mean the ones that started shipping in mid 2003?

• Helo everyone,

As most of Logic users already know, APPLE released Logic 9.1 which offers 64 bit mode : http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2565

When can we expect Vienna Instruments to be 64 bit on Mac OS, and work in 64 bit mode with Logic 9.1?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

• Soon.

/Regards,

Maya