Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,333 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,051 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Since the new VE Pro update Play works for me too on a Vista x64 Slave, master is a Mac Pro.

• Hmmm, must be doing something wrong on my setup (x64 slave, Win XP 64). I'm still not able to run PLAY with the latest release of VE PRO, even using 'Run as' for a workaround. I am still getting the 'The product does not exist (productId -1)' error.

What workaround steps have you taken to get it to work?

Thanks,

JB

• I do get that message every now and then but just click it away and it works.

However, VEP doesn't actually support XPx64 as far as I remember and I can't find it listed [url=http://vsl.co.at/de/211/497/1685/1693/1695/1344.htm]here[/url] as well.

• last edited
    last edited

@MaD said:

I do get that message every now and then but just click it away and it works.

However, VEP doesn't actually support XPx64 as far as I remember and I can't find it listed here as well.

Yes, PLAY is not officially supported. I understand. I'm just wondering what it is that allows some to get it to work, while others, like myself are having issues. When I click the dialog away, the main panel where the virtual instrument would be sitting is blank with text that states that some of the components have not been found. Happen every time, so there is obviously something different about your setup that allows PLAY to find whatever components it needs.

• Well, for starters I don't use XPx64. ;)

That's what I said... not that Play isn't officially supported but Windows XP64 isn't. At least it's not listed on VEP's page and I do remember reading something along the lines of "you need Vista/Win7 for 64bit". I could be wrong, though.

I don't do anything else.

• Good news.  I still am not sure I want to update on my x64 machines as it is working now (not wanting to upset the apple cart.)   Maybe after this current work I'll take a stab at it.

Rob

• I get the message 'play does not find libraries...' ignore it and all is good.   NEVER a crash or misbehavin' goind on.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

I get the message 'play does not find libraries...' ignore it and all is good.   NEVER a crash or misbehavin' goind on.

Rob

I don't get this message in the latest version of VE Pro. However, I only have one PLAY product, and am unlikely to be buying any more.

DG

• Great to hear DG - perhaps I should reconsider the update.  In the middle of VERY intensive 'ethnic' music project - so wish VSL had a collection of such instruments.

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

I get the message 'play does not find libraries...' ignore it and all is good.   NEVER a crash or misbehavin' goind on.

Rob

Well, unfortunately, the 'play does not find libraries...' sits in the middle of the spot where the PLAY interface should be showing up, so no PLAY for me. I'm suspecting that all this has to do with the PLAY VI DLL not being able to find the entries in the registry it needs to locate the resources it needs. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Oh well, I guess it's waiting a bit longer until the issues with PLAY have been worked out.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Play does not work in VE Pro on Mac, it will also not work in the upcoming update. A solution is in the works, but I can not give you any promises or dates.

Now that it looks like PLAY support may be a ways off, would you guys consider offering the introductory pricing again once (if?) you have it working, at least for PLAY users?

I'd love to get this software, particularly at the introductory price, but without knowing when or if PLAY will work, that's a deal breaker.  Shame that EW has been so negative about this software and unwilling to make any effort to help fix the compatibility issue.  There is supposed to be a PLAY update at some point for Snow Leopard, maybe that will help.

Mike

• I did the upate but can't get PLAY to load up - I get the "Libraries missing" dialog or whatever, then click "OK", then get the big white recatangle with the "Some of the Play components are missing" text.  I've seen that problem listed elsewhere but haven't seen a fix.  I'm on Vista 64 and the problem is the same in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VE Pro.

Did anybody else encounter this problem then figure out a fix?

Thanks,

rgames

• Richard - this is exactly what I encountered UNTIL I set up on that x64 machine as a new 'adminstrator' - (in x64 - go to control panels/user accounts -  (my name and password.)  Now first thing in the day when I turn on PC -  I have to 'log on' - from there it now works for me.  Again  - this is on an x64 PC.  

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@rgames said:

I did the upate but can't get PLAY to load up - I get the "Libraries missing" dialog or whatever, then click "OK", then get the big white recatangle with the "Some of the Play components are missing" text.  I've seen that problem listed elsewhere but haven't seen a fix.  I'm on Vista 64 and the problem is the same in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VE Pro.

Did anybody else encounter this problem then figure out a fix?

Thanks,

rgames

Richard,

I use this on Vista64.  Simply load up as many instances of Play you want in VE Pro.  Ignore the errors and the graphical corruption.  But don't load up any instruments.  Save the project.  Close the project and then reopen it.  All of your Play instances will load up normally and then you can actually add the instruments.  After this save and it will reopen fine with instruments loaded.

Works everytime for me.

Brian

• OK - works like a charm on the 32-bit server but not the 64-bit.  On the 64-bit server I get the same errors.

Good enough for now - thanks for the help!

rgames

<EDIT> - OK, not quite a charm.  I discovered that I have to go through the above process every time I boot.  In other words, when I start from a cold boot, I can't just re-load the .viframe project, I have to re-create it using the process you described.  If I just re-load it, I can see the PLAY interface but it crashes as soon as it receives MIDI data from the host.  If I start from scratch and re-create the .viframe project file, it works fine (so far - limited testing).

• Don't know what to tell you.  I use the 64-bit server exclusively and Play 64 and can reload the .virframe Play projects no problem.  Sorry.

•  It's also working well for me (at least loading and playback wise, I'm having other issues) on Vista 64, 64bit server.  I did have this error once though and it was opening a vframe on the 64bit server that was originally built on the 32bit server.  Turning off UAC was one of the first things I did when building this system, maybe that will make a difference if you haven't already done so.

• Any guesses as to how much more time the official VE-Pro update that will fix the PLAY issue will take ?  

Another week ?  two weeks ? or more ?  We are fast approaching Nov. 

I sure hope we will see some light, at the end of this tunnel  [:D]

• I posted about the incompatibility at EWQL forums. That thread got locked quick. One of their devs has some networking solution in the works, a more traditional one requiring soundcards on each slave as well as master, and preferable a hardware mixer, and discussion of this issue is relegated to the hardware board there. where he can opine about how VE Pro isn't a good idea, where his is.

It was reported there in one of these threads, that Mr Salestag here had indicated he was working towards cooperation with EWQL on this issue, and their man said "I've heard nothing". Then he said that he had received the software.

"VE Pro is not currently supported by EWQL Play" is the party line there atm.

• It seems like there is a non-official status regarding VE Pro and PLAY on the PC platform, as 'Working' , this is reported by some users on this forum, some indicate the it works in the 64-bit server, some say it works on the 32-bit sever.  I'm not sure where we are heading next, but it sure is confusing to try to patch up all these bits and pieces of info. on forums to come to a solid conclusion.  

It would be very helpful If some VE Pro users, , can confirm that VE Pro and PLAY are working fine together, and very reliably on slave PCs.  If VSL can also provide some additional (official) feedback on workaround techniques to get VE Pro and PLAY to work on PCs that would be appreciated. (unless this is not the case), meaning... VE Pro does NOT work with PLAY on both PC and Mac platforms at this time.

On the other hand, no one seems to be reporting any success running VE Pro with PLAY on a Mac, so that is pretty much easy to figure out.  It currently does not work on a MAC ! 

As to an official statement from VSL regarding the current, and future status of VE Pro with PLAY on both PC and MAC platforms, and whether there is a workaround for running PLAY reliably on a PC has not been made, at least I haven not read it yet.

The issue with PLAY is very puzzling indeed. PLAY works well in many hosts, both MAC, and PC, including some other networking-solution hosts, such as ' AudioPort Universal ' offered by 'Audio Impressions', (although it has many restrictions i.e. 32-bit only, no midi support,  and only works on a PC), but there are users who are running PLAY with the AudioPort successfully. Which makes me wonder ....... Why VE Pro is having issues with PLAY, while it works fine in so many other hosts ?

I was expecting an early fix (via the first VE Pro Update) that was released to fix the PLAY issue, but sadly, that did not happen. Currently, things are not looking very rosy as far as VE Pro and PLAY are concerned, and quite honestly, I'm becoming less, and less, optimistic that VSL will eventually fix this issue, but I sure hope I'm totally wrong, and that this will be fixed in the near future.  

I hope this issue will eventually get resolved, one, way or another.

Cheers.