Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,392 users have contributed to 42,296 threads and 255,064 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Hey Kerry If you're not using Bluetooth for your keyboard/mouse, personally I prefer the simple hardware approach of using a KVM Switch. (Google it. Vast range of prices from home use to industrial data centre targetted.) Plug keyboard, mouse and a monitor into the switch on one "side" and the keyboard, mouse, and monitor cables into both computers on the other side. No remoting. Press a button on the KVM Switch to alternate between physical control and display of each computer. G

• Hey KMuzzey If you're not using Bluetooth for your keyboard/mouse, personally I prefer the simple hardware approach of using a KVM Switch. (Google it.) Plug keyboard, mouse and a monitor into the switch on one "side" and the keyboard, mouse, and monitor cables into both computers on the other side. No remoting. Press a button on the KVM Switch to alternate between physical control and display of each computer. G

• Hey Kerry If you're not using Bluetooth for your keyboard/mouse, personally I prefer the simple hardware approach of using a KVM Switch. (Google it.) Plug keyboard, mouse and a monitor into the switch on one "side" and the keyboard, mouse, and monitor cables into both computers on the other side. No remoting. Press a button on the KVM Switch to alternate between physical control and display of each computer. G

• If your monitor has dual inputs, could you just output the video from your slave into your current monitor and then switch between the two inputs?

Mahlon

• Hey guys -- thanks for the tips.  I wonder if I'm making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary tho... I'm assuming (because I don't have it running yet) that when I open up Vienna Ensemble as an AU in Logic, that its window will open on the Slave mac & I'd have to control it via a remote-desktop window.   Right?

So if that's the case, and I have to sink $$ into a remote desktop software pkg, I may as well get a cheap extra monitor to have the VE3 window living in that monitor, via the remote connection.

Does that make sense/am I on the mark?

Kerry

• Remote desktop is free, isn't it?

DG

• Nooooooooo... Apple Remote Desktop is $300!

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Remote desktop is free, isn't it?

DG

Sure is..

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@KMuzzey said:

Nooooooooo... Apple Remote Desktop is $300!

Strange! I downloaded it for free a few months ago and I don't download from any dodgy sites. Will investigate..

Colin

• The one I downloaded was from   download.cnet.com/Apple-Remote-Desktop...etc.. but I see the page can no longer be found. Never got around to using it however as I'd need to upgrade my version of Vista..

Colin

• I think the 3.3 beta was free when it was available, but at apple.com/store there are only 2 options -- $300 is the cheap one. Unless I'm missing something?

• Kerry

All I can tell you is that it's Version 2.0.0 and 17.3MB in size which I downloaded in May.

Colin

• I'll poke around to see if someone still makes 2.0 available, and if it's Leopard/Snow Leopard compatible. Unfortunately Apple Remote Desktop is now a paid (and expensive, at that) program.  grrrrr

Thanks for the info Colin!

Kerry

• Is Brothersoft a legit site? You could try there....naturally only if it is of course. [:O]

Colin

• ..or if you want I'll Zip the file in an email?

• Couldn't you just open a 'share screen' window and control it?  In finder type cmd-n, select your networked computer (which must have screen sharing turned on), then click 'share screen' and log in.  It's included in leopard (10.5).

• OH MY GOD!!!!!    i had never heard of that, but it totally worked!

Vienna guys, you might want to add this info to your tutorials!

Stine1, you just made my day AND saved me $300 !!!

Kerry