Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,864 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,390 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 74 new user(s).

• VE Pro will not work on 10.4 Tiger.

• last edited
    last edited

@Crescendo said:

As for PPC compatibility, I think we need to draw a line somewhere... producing symphonic music is really a task that is highly demanding regarding hardware. I don't see many people seriously producing orchestral music with just a PPC system. Prove me wrong but I think most serious users have already found it necessary to move on to the intel platform...

It's hard for me to understand why you thought it was necessary to undermine the position of PPC users,

who - as VSL customers - asked for support .

First and foremost a "serious user"  - facing extremely tight deadlines - needs stable computer systems to work with  .

A   maxed out PPC (with OS 10.4.11)  is definitely such a system, which is still perfect for  hosting your Main DAW,

usually connected with slave PC's  and / or Slave Intel-Macs.

- Gerd

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

VE Pro will not work on 10.4 Tiger.

Hi Martin,

To clarify it says on the system requirements page that "Please note that a slave computer has to comply with the Vienna Ensemble specifications, the master computer to those of the host application (e.g., Cubase, Logic, Sibelius etc.)"

I interpret this to mean that VE PRO will not work on a OS X Tiger SLAVE machine, but will work as a plugin in the DAW on a OS X Tiger MASTER machine. So the blanket statement of "VE Pro will not work on 10.4 Tiger" is not entirely true.

Thanks, Brian

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

VE Pro will not work on 10.4 Tiger.

I interpret this to mean that VE PRO will not work on a OS X Tiger SLAVE machine, but will work as a plugin in the DAW on a OS X Tiger MASTER machine. So the blanket statement of "VE Pro will not work on 10.4 Tiger" is not entirely true.

Thanks, Brian

As Martin is programming the dratted thing, I would imagine that he knows more about it than you do. [;)]

DG

• Actually, this is correct. The VE PRO AU/RTAS will work fine on 10.4 Tiger. It's just the standalone and server that requires 10.5 Leopard or higher.

• last edited
    last edited

@Karel said:

Actually, this is correct. The VE PRO AU/RTAS will work fine on 10.4 Tiger. It's just the standalone and server that requires 10.5 Leopard or higher.

Hurrah, hurrah. Now what about VST? And I want to use Windows 95?

DG

• Since it appears that the good people of VSL are attending the forum today what was the answer to my previous question?

Just for a refresher:

Does VE Pro work with Play?

Collaterally, if it is not officially recognized as ‘supported by VSL’ would that mean that it doesn’t work at all or just that you can’t vouch for its stability?

• Currently the connector plugin supports VST2 and VST3 on Windows and AU, RTAS, VST2 and VST3 on Mac.

• last edited
    last edited

@Karel said:

Actually, this is correct. The VE PRO AU/RTAS will work fine on 10.4 Tiger. It's just the standalone and server that requires 10.5 Leopard or higher.

Hi Karel,

Great news!!

I am using VE3 on my PPC G5 as a host and one PC Quad Core as slave

I'd like to know if.... VE3 Pro will run as a HOST  on my PPC G5 under Tiger???

Regards.

• last edited
    last edited

@jotaresende said:

I am using VE3 on my PPC G5 as a host and one PC Quad Core as slave

I'd like to know if.... VE3 Pro will run as a HOST  on my PPC G5 under Tiger???

Regards.

Yes.....That's exactly what Karel is saying.

P

• PowerPC support at this time is not a certainty, but we're definitely looking into it.

• My vote is for a release of what you have tested and working now - with these options as requested in future releases.  :)

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@Karel said:

PowerPC support at this time is not a certainty, but we're definitely looking into it.

Karel ,

this is absolutely great news !

Highly appreciate all your work and efforts !!!

I think with your statement you managed to put a big smile on the faces of all PPC users around the world ... [:D] ...

Thanks a lot

Best wishes

- Gerd

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

My vote is for a release of what you have tested and working now - with these options as requested in future releases.  😊

I completely agree with you Rob. I'm chomping at the bit for it to be released.

•  To Whom It May Concern,

I have had a DAW builder who knows my live requirements and concerns, and has warned me that using VE Pro live might have latency issues.

I will be using 2 x 64bit PC streamers and 1 x main DAW. This builder has not seen my newest setup where I went from DSP cards on 5volt/32bit PCI buss to a 1U rack of DSP chips using the PCI-e 1X buss.

Live I use 3msec/44.1 and record with 1msec/96k. But I am more concerned with the live latency. How much latency should I expect from the 2 x 64bit PC slaves to the XITE-1 DSP rack via the PCI-e 1X...? If it helps any I was using 13msec/44.1k back in '99 live w/ Gigastudio/Scope DSP cards, and it was acceptable, similar to being 20 feet away from a crash cymbal. What should I expect if VE Pro is my host..? Also, I disable all native time based effects, and use hardware and DSP. Any effects will be applied in the main DAW and the only native effects will be a Sonalksiss Lo-Fi and the Algorhytmix Split Compressor, and only the Comp. for recording not live.

Thanks For Any Info.

• You would pretty much always have a higher latency with a standalone / soundcard setup. Measure and see...

• last edited
    last edited

Hey guys this is awwwwwsome software! Running great on my Macbook snow leopard and Slave Core i7.

@Karel said:

Can I just ask is the above statement still true before I attempt to install it on my studio Mac? (PPC, Tiger, logic, master only). I noticed it says 10.5.7 on the install....

I reckon you'll all be deserving a long holiday soon!

Cheers

Paul

• The connector plugin does not run under Tiger. We have experienced higher network performance with Leopard, and therefore we have also set it as a part of system requirements. But for the adventurous fellows, we kept PPC support in.

[Edit - misleading information]

• Cheers for the clarification

All the best

Paul