Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,674 users have contributed to 42,622 threads and 256,575 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 29 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

•  I think that the best thing to do is just to disable the internet port, and re-enable it when you need to go online.

How are you running the 32bit version? AFAIK the 64bit one loads automatically when it finds a 64bit OS (the shell that you load in Cubase will be the 32bit version though).

I'm afraid that I know less than nothing about Vista. Sorry.

DG

• Yes, you are right. I will disable the internet port.

Actually I have a laptop over my desk just to surf the web and download files, so it's not a terrible loss to renounce to internet on my Host PC.

I opened the same project in Cubase 5 64 bit and it seems clear to me that it takes way many more resources than in 32 bit.

Don't ask me why! [;)]

Thank you so much.

Luigi.

• last edited
    last edited

@Gemini said:

Yes, you are right. I will disable the internet port.

Actually I have a laptop over my desk just to surf the web and download files, so it's not a terrible loss to renounce to internet on my Host PC.

I opened the same project in Cubase 5 64 bit and it seems clear to me that it takes way many more resources than in 32 bit.

Don't ask me why!

Thank you so much.

Luigi.

I wouldn't waste any time on Cubase 64bit yet.There is currently no real advantage, and once VE Pro is released you won't need it.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I wouldn't waste any time on Cubase 64bit yet.There is currently no real advantage, and once VE Pro is released you won't need it.

I have exactly the same opinion.

With Vienna Ensemble Pro (and actually with VE3 as well) the important side of the business is the slave machine, not the Host, as the first experiment posted here by Herb perfectly demonstrates.

Luigi.

•  Of course I do the opposite, and do everything on one machine....! [8-|]

DG

• A super-machine, I guess! [;)]

I'm studying more deeply the problem and I noticed that the network shows a bandwidth limit to 12.50% (!!!).

So, if your current tracks use a percentage of bandwidth below that one, everything run smoothly. Otherwise clicks and pops occur.

Now the problem is to understand where is configured that sort of limit. I checked the web and they talk about a limit in the QoS management... something to trick with the administrative tools. But that tool (GPEDIT.MSC) doesn't seem to be available in Vista64 Home Premium. Another point is that I removed (not just unckeched) the QoS service from the Connection properties panel... so I don't think the right answer has to be found there.

Any help... would be more than welcome!

Luigi.

• OH MY GOD!

Don't ask me why, but Vista 64 Home Premium SP1 install my onboard Dual Gigabit as a 10/100/1000 Network Adapter, but allows to set the Autonegotiation up to 100MbpsFD. So... I don't know why, my network adapter is working as a normal 100 Mbps one.

This is the reason why the bandwidth seemed to be hard-limited to 12.50 %: 12 MB/s is the maximum transfer rate for 10/100 network card. That's incredible! I had to trick the .INF installation file of the driver to manually add the "Autonegotiation for 1000FD"...

Luigi.

• last edited
    last edited

@Gemini said:

OH MY GOD!

Don't ask me why, but Vista 64 Home Premium SP1 install my onboard Dual Gigabit as a 10/100/1000 Network Adapter, but allows to set the Autonegotiation up to 100MbpsFD. So... I don't know why, my network adapter is working as a normal 100 Mbps one.

This is the reason why the bandwidth seemed to be hard-limited to 12.50 %: 12 MB/s is the maximum transfer rate for 10/100 network card. That's incredible! I had to trick the .INF installation file of the driver to manually add the "Autonegotiation for 1000FD"...

Luigi.

Vista. Ah yes. [:'(]

The more I think about it, the more that I think it has all the cr*p ideas from OSX, but none of the good ones. [8-)]

DG

• Unfortunately, I haven't solved the problem yet. [:@]

The Dual Gigabit Network Adapters are recognized by Vista as "10/100/1000" but in the list of "Speed/Duplex" settings there are no items related to Gigabit (1000 Mb FD nor 1000 Mb HD). So, under Vista, the two Network Adapters are working as two normal 10/100 ports, causing all my problems with Vienna Ensemble 3.

The sad thing is that the last driver update from NVidia for Vista 64 (15.25) doesn't help at all. Even though NVidia released that update on March 16th, 2009 and this issue is well known in the NVidia forum, many people are still suffering from this absurd problem.

The only thing remains to do for me is to change the Motherboard, as I don't have any further room to add a separate PCI NIC card.

At the end of this story, I can give you a suggestion: don't trust NVidia!!!

Luigi.

• I think it could be useful to somebody.

Trying to solve my annoying problem with NICs in Vista64, I found out some interesting articles about how to improve your network performance in Vista. I think it could be a useful starting point to fine tune our networks to get the best performances for Vienna Ensemble 3.

Network Throttling Index

http://www.vistarevisited.com/2008/05/24/how-to-improve-network-performance-in-windows-vista/

Multimedia Class Scheduler Service

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=36178&st=0&p=332216&#entry332216

Hope this can help.

Luigi.