Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,303 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,041 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• If you are after a touch sensitive controller for VSL I'd also recommmend the novation nocturn, with automap 2 it's very efficient, hasnt got any faders though. 

Clemenshass is right about the BCF, I used it with Cubase for a while, although it has motorized faders, handy for recall, but not very good for automation. 

• Hey, don't get me wrong! I'm not voting for Behringer! For sure NOT. I was just giving an example for an inexpensive controller with motorized faders. You could take a mackie baby hui instead - whatever! I wouldn't insist on faders - endless rotary controlls would be fine, too. That doesn't solve the real problem, though: Logic only recieves relative cc-values for pan and other stuff in the chanel strip. Motorized controllers on the other hand need feedback as to react on the changes. This is also not possible for midi cc in an external midi-device like VE. So, if you have a multi instrument connected to the VE unit you cannot correct/modify your sequenced cc- values, as you could with Volume on an audio track - either by taking over the motorized fader's movement, or by endless rotary controllers sending relative values. I am very sure, that this was not possible with Logic 7. There might be a workaround in Logic 8, wich I am new to. As I said: You would really cheer me up, if someone could proove me wrong!

• I was just looking for the novation nocturn. It's cheap an seems to have good options for VI-Controlling. Can you tell me exactly, how you use it? Does it get any feedback, when you change the midi track? What is this Automap Universal 2.0?

• Automap scans all your plugins so when you open a plug-in in your sequencer the noturn has all of its controls mapped automatically, you can easily change the configuration of the controls, and a pop-up transparent GUI makes moving between setups real easy.  I found it improved my workflow alot more than the mackie emulation on the BCF. They also have a preset for DAW mixers but at the moment you have to use the page button to go thru mixer banks in sets of  8 much like control universal/BCF etc. Hopefully they will come out with an update soon so that its possible to select mixer banks as presets much like the Jazzmutant Lemur. The best info I could find on the nocturn before I picked one up was the video tutorials on the novation webpage:

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_control/nocturn/

• the nocturne doesn´t look bad - especially the price. tim, how do you actually use it?

• Do you mean, how do I use it with regards VI? I mostly use it to control plugins during mixdown and a few VTSi's, eg volumes and pans in Kontakt and emuX. I havent used it much with VI as I think the Wiimote is better suited. The nocturn is touch sensitive though and there are LED's around the encoders.As I mentioned above if novation could improve the DAW mixer control presets it would be an excellent all round controller.  Iam a stickler for less clutter when working and love having less that can do more ;p I tried using a touch screen to control plugins(cheap 10" screen off ebay)but it doesnt feel the same as a hardware dial or fader. The Almighty mouse and keyboard quickkeys are still the best and most efficient way of working me thinks, and a Wiimote of course thou : )

• Tim, could you try, if it is possible to automap cc of VIs inside a VE in Logic (or any other sequencer)? That would be a great help for me to decide, if that's the right controller...

•  fritzflow-Iam afraid I had no luck getting automap to control either VI or VE both GUI's appeared with the automap wrapper but none of the controls would work.  Iam not sure if this is system based(Iam using Cubase on a PC) ,Iam going to mess about with it when I get more time, but I would recommend looking up or e-mailing Novation with regards the Nocturn, with Logic controlling VI.

•  fritzflow-I e-mailed Novation about VI and nocturn, it turns out I needed to use it in its MIDI client mode.  Once set up it worked fine controlling the VI as a vst in and out of emsemble.

• Thank you very much for your help Tim. I ordered the controller today. When I get it, I will check out, if you can get feedback on the rotarys from Logic.