Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,296 users have contributed to 42,289 threads and 255,038 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• Hello, I'm also thinking about building a slave pc for vsl. I just watched the Vienna Ensemble 3 Introduction Video where they used a PC with Vista 64 and 8 GB of RAM. I guess that system would work well for me. But unfortunately the don't tell what CPU it uses, or did I miss it? Does anyone know? best regards flo

• OK, just found the answer in the memory configuration thread. Think it's better to take a mainboard that can handle more than 8 gB of RAM.

• At the moment there is a huge difference in price between 8GB and 8+GB machines. If you have the option of putting the salve machines in another room, then I would say get a couple of 8GB machines, rather than one 16GB machine.

On my latest 8GB machine, I used a Q6600, because they are so cheap. Motherboard was DP35DP.

DG

• i'd like to throw another consideration into the discussion:

also calculate the energy costs for two 8 GB machines vs. one 16 GB machine

even only the saving using just one PSU would shift the calculation (good PSUs work at 80% efficiency at full load, but all go down to 50% quickly for lower power consumption) ... you have also a second system drive spinning and various other compnents needing energy ...

purchasing only one (more expensive) machine you could easily save the difference within only one year ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i'd like to throw another consideration into the discussion:

also calculate the energy costs for two 8 GB machines vs. one 16 GB machine

even only the saving using just one PSU would shift the calculation (good PSUs work at 80% efficiency at full load, but all go down to 50% quickly for lower power consumption) ... you have also a second system drive spinning and various other compnents needing energy ...

purchasing only one (more expensive) machine you could easily save the difference within only one year ...

christian

I suppose that it depends on how much your electricity costs where you live. I can say that my electricity bill for a whole year (including 8 PCs and full air conditioning) is not as much as the cost of one slave machine. Also, electricity is an expense, whereas equipment is a capital allowance, and so financially it is always better to be able to claim £400 as an expense than £400 as a capital allowance.

Hey, this discussion should be moved to the Finance Geek forum. [8-|]

DG

• Oh, and one other point. With two machines you can get up to 120 Instruments or 10 instance, whereas with one you can only have 60 Instruments and 5 instances maximum.

DG

• DG,

Just out of interest, How many instances are you roughly able to get with this processor?

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@morphlite said:

DG,

Just out of interest, How many instances are you roughly able to get with this processor?

Paul

Don't know, I haven't tested that. However, the number of instances is not really governed by the processor; it's more a question of RAM, and limitations of VE. If you tell me how many you need, I'll get one of the kids to test this while I have a break....! [:D]

DG

• Hi DG 

I've debated for a while whether to upgrade may G5 2ghz mac to a macpro, but when you can put together a Q6600/8GB machine for about £450. if you can get maybe 30-40 instances out of a single processor machine, have two of them and a my master,  it would make more financial sense.

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@morphlite said:

Hi DG 

I've debated for a while whether to upgrade may G5 2ghz mac to a macpro, but when you can put together a Q6600/8GB machine for about £450. if you can get maybe 30-40 instances out of a single processor machine, have two of them and a my master,  it would make more financial sense.

Paul

It really depends on how you like to work. If you want to deal with multiple standalones and Soundflower, then a Mac Pro might suit you. However, if you like the idea of using plugin instances, the Mac Pro would be pretty much useless, unless you are running it in XP64 or Vista64 due to the lack of 64bit on OSX.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

the Mac Pro would be pretty much useless, unless you are running it in XP64 or Vista64 due to the lack of 64bit on OSX.
    That leeds me back to the idea of taking the cheapest MacPro with one quad core processor, put 2 x 4GB RAM into it and run it in Vista64, so I have the possibility to add RAM and maybe switch to OSX64 later.

• Hi,

Having had trouble using soundflower i gave up on that and use VE and VI's in Logic and learn/freeze stuff when required.

Sometimes I just get fed up of messing about with several programs just to make it all work. I would probs use VMware with vista if i bought a Macpro. But if i could get two single processor slaves that would run 30-40 instances each and use VE3, and spend the rest of the money on Libraries that would be great. But if i could only get 20-25 instances out of each then it probs wouldn't be worth it. If you do try it let me know.No worries if you're busy.

Cheers

Paul