Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,038 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,974 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

Personally I find it a lot easier to play a legato line with samples when the keyboard has a heavier action as the velocities are much more controlled. Or some staccatos with exactly the right accents where you want them.
    Dominique - I have seen you play on television. You have a heavy handed technique and you like to hammer the keys!!!!!! :)))))--------Velocities are always needed to be corrected in the sequencer regardless any keyboard in my view. Remember also that a Hammond B3 organ has a good action. A good action doesn't mean the same thing to keyboard players.-------For the nearest action re: classical piano playing available in my opinion ------probably the Yamaha S90 ES although it's a little heavy. The piano sound is very good but as with a lot of other Yamaha onboard sounds, they can sound a little edgy and metallic for my ears. Not really expensive these days at around £1300.00 approx.

•     Well, I have tried the Yamaha S90 ES, and if that is as far as technology has taken us, I guess I am better off sticking with my Kurzweil PC1X. But I will look into the other suggestions on this thread.

Colin Thomson

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Velocities are always needed to be corrected in the sequencer regardless any keyboard

But with a good keyboard I need to do less of that, even let's say playing a oboe line for example. I certainly noticed a big improvement with the Yamaha over the studiologic (which had quite likely been hammered to pieces... it's ready for the bin now.)

• last edited
    last edited

@ColinThomson said:

Well, I have tried the Yamaha S90 ES, and if that is as far as technology has taken us, I guess I am better off sticking with my Kurzweil PC1X. But I will look into the other suggestions on this thread.

Colin Thomson

Well I'm afraid you just about summed it up Colin - I didn't want to tell you outright. People often ask what's the best keyboard and when you say - a real piano - there is always an air of disappointment. But think of a harpsichord for a moment - a piano keyboard isn't actually much good for that is it? Or for playing Hammond organ runs. Whenever you link anything to a computer, it's all a compromise in my view. You just have to get by.---------Yes Dom - I will finish this job I started today in mid December (that is my deadline) - go and record the thing in America in February - and the chuck bloody Kurzweil in the skip. :)))))

• last edited
    last edited

Here's another option, but I haven't tried this controller: the CME-PRO ZCS88. "The internationally patented ZSC keys feature hammer action which is found in some famous grand pianos, providing you with real piano touch as well as reliable durability."

That's marketing bla bla, but it might be worth checking out...

• Interesting. But their pretty much saying what every other company is saying about their keyboard. Guess we can watch for reviews when it comes out, though.

Colin Thomson 

• I have a Fatar Studiologic SL-990 Pro with "weighted hammer action". Its a 88 key midi controller with a pitch bend and a mod wheel. Thats all. Bought one for about 300 euro. Check the Fatar site if your interested. J.

• I have the Kawai MP8. it's great! It has wooden keys and mechanical action. http://www.kawai.de/mp8_en.htm  Regards Jan-Nicolas

• I think what is key here is being able to make the transition from one keyboard to the next. Yammy's are my favorite fake actions for the price, BTW. ---Also remember that key to key on each controller the response WILL be different (black notes vs. whites, for example). So if you at least get a consistent response from your current board, I say stick with it. ---Clark

• Apparently the StudioLogic VKM or whatever it is supposedly has the most realistic piano action out there. I was going to order the 76 key version online because no retailer carries them in Canada. Would prefer to try it out before I buy. The fellow with the StudioLogic SL990- how is that action? I can get one for $350 US. The VMK is $600 but has more sliders and programmability.

• last edited
    last edited

@Fiery Angel said:

The fellow with the StudioLogic SL990- how is that action?

I don't think you refer to me, but I think the StudioLogic SL990's action is uneven, clunky and too light. The black keys output a lower velocity that the white keys. Mine broke down after 3 weeks as well.

Dom 

• I'm glad you say that. I was looking into the Studio Logic SL990 but probably will go with the CME ZSC76 because it has Logic control built in and it's available to play around with up here in Canada.