Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,147 users have contributed to 42,278 threads and 254,992 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• This are the specs for my upcoming PC: 

Supermicro Server-Rack

Motherboard: 6015A-NT
    Intel Xeon doubel processor 5160 - 3GHZ
    ECC Ram BC2 5300 677 MHZ CL5

best

Herb

• I would be satisfied with your current setup!  What are the specs of that machine, and how much cpu (%) did you use to work with 7+ gigs of ram loaded.  Looking forward to Ensemble

• Herb, This...is great news, how soon can we expect the MAc version? thanx, SvK

• I know it's not out yet, but have the VSL Team also been working with OSX Leopard (out tomorrow!) and will this let us use 8gb or more on our MACs? Also will VE work with Logic 8 out the box? TIA Tim

• Read the announcement in the Preview infos thread. Most of your questions are answered there.

DG

• Doh - yes I should have checked there first. Thanks DG

I wonder Herb how long does it take to actually load a tempalte with that many samples in? Minutes/Hours?

• I think that with a fastish PC (this thread is about PCs after all) it takes around 7 minutes, if I remember correctly. Of course, you have to discount the first load, as time is lost scanning the dongle for licences.

DG

• DG, Herb.... naturally the sends are pre-fader ? SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@aplanchard said:

I would be satisfied with your current setup!  What are the specs of that machine, and how much cpu (%) did you use to work with 7+ gigs of ram loaded.  Looking forward to Ensemble

it's an appr. 1 year old ASUS P5W Pentium D 3,4 (not core 2 duo) FSB 800 4 x 2 GB non ECC RAM DDR2 533 w/ a bunch of raptors ...

depending on loaded matices you can expect 1-3% CPU per instance (instrument)

a very good and pricy solution turned up to be also the intel S3000 and S5000 boards (-8 GB nonECC, -16 GB ECC) because of their mixed PCI/PCIe architecture

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Are the sends Pre-Fader? thanx SvK

• No.

DG

• I took your specs and planned a system on them. I have some questions.

1. How loud is Herb's present system and is it in a rack or midtower?

2. Have you heard the Supermicro unit to determine how loud the fans and the power supply are since it comes with its own ps?

3. In your best judgment can the Supermicro 1U be used in the studio or should it be in a separate machine room?

4. I want to really clarify loading 112,000 samples. If an average matrix is 4000 samples, does this mean you can load 20+ Instruments? On the Supermicro, does this mean 40 instruments? Is this suggesting that by moving to XP64 system with 16GB of RAM that a user would potentially only need one (1) computer dedicated to the VI cube?

5. With memory being loaded into RAM, what impact does using Raptors have over a 750GB at 7500RPM?

6. The processor you picked is valued at $1100US. With that processor, what performance gain are you really expecting to get?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Alexander

• Hello Peter, we meet again on yet another forum! To be fair to Herb, the system he has listed is the 1U server version - you could alternatively just buy the motherboard in standard ATX format and then put it in whatever case you wished.... particularly as they have recently launched one capable of 32Gb..... tempting!

• I spec'ed the system with the 1U rack and my question has to do with performance and loudness. The 1U rack comes with the motherboard built in and is capable of going 32GB. However, with a 4GB RAM stick running around $500 or more, you're looking at $4000 just for 32GB of RAM. The 1U also comes with its own power supply and onboard video.

• Yep the RAM will indeed be expensive, was merely suggesting that by chosing the board seperately, you chould spec the case to your requirements, rather than be stuck with the 40mm noisy fans in a 1U setup. Sorry, I shall leave you in peace!

• i really can't recomend the 1U version if you don't have a separate machine room .. it is definately too loud (the fans with little diameter are very noisy) ... in fact i cannot recommend any server system in a studio except if it is in a really first class  sound-absorbing case.

actually the components (harddisks, CPU cooler, HD cooler) are a little bit noisy.

the supermicro systems go up to 64 GB, the 7-series up to 192 GB RAM, but the decision for this system was too complex to answer with a simple *why this processor*.

if you don't need it for certain multiple purposes have a look at intel S5000 series motherboards and 3U housings.

on a predecessor of herb's system (netburst architecture) i had 48 instances running with about 10% CPU - so such practical experience has also impacted selection of the model.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • And Peter, if you're looking for a 3U rack (Antec) let me know. I've a spare one.

Mahlon

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i really can't recomend the 1U version if you don't have a separate machine room .. it is definately too loud (the fans with little diameter are very noisy) ... in fact i cannot recommend any server system in a studio except if it is in a really first class  sound-absorbing case.

actually the components (harddisks, CPU cooler, HD cooler) are a little bit noisy.

the supermicro systems go up to 64 GB, the 7-series up to 192 GB RAM, but the decision for this system was too complex to answer with a simple *why this processor*.

if you don't need it for certain multiple purposes have a look at intel S5000 series motherboards and 3U housings.

on a predecessor of herb's system (netburst architecture) i had 48 instances running with about 10% CPU - so such practical experience has also impacted selection of the model.

christian

Separate from the 1U unit, overall, with 48 instances does this mean that potentially one machine could do the job with 16GB of RAM, or as you see it, are we still looking at two or more 64bit systems with VI? Have you fbeen able to do a full orchestral mock-up on one system?

Let me put it this way.

SInce you have the research, what I as your customer would really appreciate from you, the OEM, is direction, suggested system/studio setups. For example:

PC Sequencer -> PC Farm machines

Mac Sequencer -> PC Farm Machines

Mac Sequencer -> Mac Farm Machines

What's the better value as you see it? All PC farm machines? All Mac farm machines?

With the kind of cash 64bit systems are going to cost, some very specific direction, how about with demos, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PA

• last edited
    last edited

@RedLeicester said:

Yep the RAM will indeed be expensive, was merely suggesting that by chosing the board seperately, you chould spec the case to your requirements, rather than be stuck with the 40mm noisy fans in a 1U setup. Sorry, I shall leave you in peace!

No problem! I apologize if I came across as curt.

• last edited
    last edited

@Mahlon said:

And Peter, if you're looking for a 3U rack (Antec) let me know. I've a spare one.

Mahlon

Thanks for the consideration. I do appreciate it.

PA