Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,357 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,056 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• I've always suspected this problem had to do with VI actually running outside of DP. It may not be entirely stabile in it's integration with the program.

What is consistent here is that freezing and or bouncing (both rendering functions) is causing this problem. I have 6.5 gigs of ram on a Dual 2.7 and others here have high performance machines as well so it doesn't appear to be due to stressing resources. In my case I'm just bouncing stereo files down and not directly freezing a VI track. It's a bug whatever it is.

I hope our friends here are watching this thread.

• JWL -- interesting, you know I was really pushing things with that particular DP file. I had 16 Vienna Inst., 32 Kontakt tracks, Absynth, lots of Waves plugs, and I did get it to the point where I used up all the RAM available. Kontakt can only access, what, I think 2 GB of RAM, while Vienna (as I understand) uses its own memory block (which has to be true or I wouldn't have been able to open 16 VIs alongside 32 Kontakt tracks. So, maybe this situation caused the preset dumping. Will report this to MOTU, or is it Vienna's issue to fix?

Thanks,
    Gary

• 16 VI's and 32 Kontakts plus, plus, plus...? [[[[:|]]]] [[[[:|]]]] [[[[:|]]]]

Gee, wiz. My feeble 2.5 would have gone into meltdown long before that. [:O]ops:

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

That's right. It happens when I bounce down without fail. Here's the workaround: You have to save the presets within VI so you can open them back up. You can't just save as a Performer document. Everytime you add to your matrix you have to save that change or you will only get what is saved as a preset independant of DP. Better yet: what I do is re-save DP as "xxxbounce" and let the presets disappear then open my working file and repeat the process.

Dave -- I'm not creating any matrixes in my Vienna VIs right now. How do you mean you are saving them (I'm not using the standalone version)? Do you mean saving in the matrix area, even if you don't have a matrix? Thanks.

Gary

• Gary,

In the window that says: Vienna Instruments AudioUnit-Server Interface (With the Show Window button) there is a mini menu in the top left hand corner where you will find a SAVE SETTINGS option. Here you can save whatever is loaded in a given instance of VI. It doesn't matter how you have set up the instances: it will save a single instrument if that's all or a full matrix. You can also load what you have saved from here as well.

That way if things disappear you can retrieve them because it's a save within VI as opposed to a regular DP save.

Try it - I just tested it and it worked fine.

• Thanks Dave -- I tried that before (and now again) but can only save a single instance's preset. If I try to save a second VI preset, it looks as if it was saved OK, but it's nowhere to be found in the folder I saved it to. Strange.

• You are renaming when you save the additional instance? And this doesn't save? Also you are adding the second instance from ADD TRACK in the Project menu?

Sorry for dumb questions just trying to get what's happening.

• Hey Dave, thanks. I was not quite getting a few things as to where the presets were being saved, but I undertand it now. Even though I a specified a folder that I created, it was then saving subsequent presets in a Vienna folder inside the Library folder (and I ddin't notice that!). Thanks again.

Gary

• I figured it was something like that. It's a little tricky all that.

You should at least now be able to avoid DP blitzing your settings as long as you keep saving within VI.

• I heard from MOTU this morning re the VI losing presets.

They wrote:

When we first introduced instrument tracks and track freezing back in 4.1, we had this problem with nearly all instruments. We resolved it back in 4.5 (Kontakt, Trilogy, Stylus, Atmosphere, etc.). So this appears, at least on the surface, to be a fault of the plug-in developer.

So, it seems that the ball is Vienna's court to fix this. Hope this can be fixed soon.

• Well at least there's a history of this bug that's known. I hope our friends here are watching. I don't know if MOTU is quite off the hook however. None of those other VI's run outside of DP so it's doubtful MOTU has looked at it from that angle. I imagine they're done with any imrpvements on DP4 in any case.

• Hi,

I was unable so far to reproduce the problems you encountered. I launched 4 Vienna Instruments in DP 5.0 and loaded a Preset to each of them. 2 presets were built by myself and I saved them to my Custom Data folder. One preset was also built by myself, but I didn´t save it.

I left the computer alone for approx. 10 hours and when I got back everything was still playing back smoothly.

Am I missing something?

Do you have any Energy Saver Settings turned on?

M a y a

• last edited
    last edited

@Maya said:

Am I missing something?M a y a

Yes Maya. You should bounce some audio files together and freeze some tracks as well. Only when I do a bounce (in DP 4.6) do things vanish. Try bouncing within Performer and try bouncing while exporting at the same time. Other folks are having trouble freezing tracks (a type of bounce as well) which I don't really do so I couldn't say.

Thank you!

• k, will try this and let you know what happened.

M a y a

• Hi Maya -- great that you're looking into this. I've been working with a DP file that has 16 Vienna VIs and 32 Kontakt tracks in 2 instances, and more, so I'm really pushing the memory requirements. Maybe you could try working with a dense project file like this in conjunction with freezing, bouncing to disk, exporting, etc.

As long as I don't bounce or freeze, I'm OK. Thanks to these guys here on the board at least now I can get some work done knowing what to expect if I have to freeze or bounce.

Many thanks,
    Gary

• Perhaps I should have mentioned that I had quite a bit loaded into ram as well. I was crashing quite a bit when I pushed my ram limits but that was solved by going from 4.5 to 6.5 gigs of ram. I'm not aware of any change with the bounce problem by increasing physical ram. But I may be wrong.

I'll do some tests.

• when it happened to me, i wasn't even using my own presets - just the ones that come with VSI. was about 4 instances of different instruments, all just vanished.

can't help but feel it's something to do with it running ouside of DP, and it could well be a RAM issue. I say this, because i wonder if it would be possible for VSI to flash up a warning box if it works out that you haven't got enough free RAM to load up a patch? What's happened a couple of times recently (dual 2.5, 6.5 gigs of RAM and DP 4.61) is that I'll get the beachball of death. When i go to forcequit DP, the VSI window is still up, and i've still got the beachball. so i have to restart computer. (cue 15-minute wait for loading up VSI plug-in and samples again! gonna download that new syncrosoft in a month when these soundtracks are done). It was only when i tried to work out what was going on that i realized it was when i loaded up one too many presetes, and it must have pushed it over the edge. So maybe a warning box would be helpful? Anyway, don't know if this is connected or not [[:|]]

• I'm sure it doesn't matter whether the presets are custom or VSL. I've experienced pretty much the same as you described but I don't think it's ram related but do suspect it has somethng to do with running outside DP.

• Hi Maya -- just checking with you to see if you've had any luck with this problem. I routinely bounce or freeze tracks 2 or 3 times or more each hour, and it's taking forever to reload all the Vienna VI's each time. The only other way to do it is to save the DP file as something else, bounce and let the Viennas disappear, then reopen the original file and import the bounced track. This also takes forever. Can't get any work done. Any news?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Folks,

I am flabbergasted....you are right.

I created an arrangement in DP 5.01 and freezed some Vienna Instrument tracks AND suddenly all settings and samples disappeared from all of my VI instances. I forwarded this information to our developers.

I don´t know yet if this error is connected to VI or DP5. I will keep you informed about any news concerning this bug.

Best,

M a y a