Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,826 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,389 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 63 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited
    Ahh, some movement, or rather a hill slide happen over night... Thanks to all!!!

@DG said:

Sibelius has Dynamic Parts, which can save hours.
    S has video (and audio) sync, F doesn't.

For 99.9% of things there is no difference in the printed output, however, there are a few very minor things that F can do that S can't or it is rather clumsy to do.

DG

At day four my workflow is:

1) Composing in the sequencer program.

2) Preparing the tracks in the sequencer for MIDI export, so I save editing time after opening in the notation program. For example preparing the notes of the non-tonal percussion.

3) Importing the MIDI file into the notation program Sibelius; formating and editing till print ready. E.g. get rid of ledger lines overlapping etc..

4) Alternatively, I see the potential to compose in the notation program, and then exporting to the sequencer for making the preprod. arrange mix.

Most important is a fast workflow, and the right visual quality!
    At the moment the playback features are not so important to me, i will see how playback affects my workflow in the notation program.

Scores Pop:
    For pop tunes I don’t see any problems. I looked at scores from Sammy Nestico made with Sibelius, that’s pretty much the way what musicians get for the recording session. The hand music fonts look as in the days when all was hand written by copyists. I may buy this fonts to enhance the hand music look:
    http://store.yahoo.com/expressmusic/musicfonts1.html
    However I will not make the copyist’s work, it’s just wanna deliver prepared data to the copyist.

a) Most commonly I have to make myself the arrange mix, and at least a lead sheet for the engineer to mix if the tracks are all out of the box. Bruce doesn’t mix anything without a sheet who at least shows the form and the important cues, then he makes his own score before he starts mixing.
    b) Or deliver the data to a copyist to make all the paperwork for session

Scores Non-Pop:
    I do basically two types of work where notation is necessary, arranging pop productions, and in between my own contemporary compositions, here I plan to re-make three or four scores of older popular works of mine. For the “earnest” pieces I give much on the notation quality, who should look similar good as old engraving.

---> DG: Have to find out what it means “Saving time using Dynamic Parts”. But saw the chapter already in the manual…

---> R.K.: I made three orchestra scores with Logic in the past. The limit of notation is reached before anything is notated properly. I don't know if notation improved since mac took over. That's why i wrote all by hand till now. But i think software reached a point where it's almost as fast as hand writing. My fastest arranger makes a score in 6-8 hours by hand incl. transcription from my arrange mix. I spoke several times with him if he would be faster using the notation program, i his case Sibelius, he said no. Of course if the hand written score has to be recorded afterwards, then the paperwork has to be made.

More suggestions, ideas, and experiences are appreciated. It's amazing what one can learn being online...

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I spoke several times with him if he would be faster using the notation program, i his case Sibelius, he said no

Of course, one has to accustomed to a program to be able to fully use its potential, in the shortest amount of time...

Personally, and now I leave notation software aside and enter the audiovisual editing programs... I have made all my program leaders (lead in movies and lead outs) with Adobe Premiere, unable to make proper time to learn After Effects. I had since long reached the limit of my possibilities with Premiere alone, but just couldn't make time to browse through After Effects and get used to it. Which I now regret.

I have worked with Sibelius for quite some time now, and still 'discover' new things, alternative and/or faster ways to do things. Learning would go much quicker when I would've just spent a couple of weeks straight working with it.

• Weslldeckers, here a little AE help for you:

http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e.html

• Both applications have their difficulties. In terms of pure notational capabilities, my exposure to both tells me that Finale has the edge for its flexibility and ability to fine-tune score layout. I also use Finale in my daily work to playback VSL sounds. It takes a little fiddling because of the interapplication issues with Logic (and that terribly designed Logic "Environment"), but I have a good and fairly stable setup that enables me to do a lot of great work.

Michael Matthews

• Angelo, many thanks for that link! [:D]
    this looks not only cool, but quite useful as well.

• Made in Sibelius or Finale?

http://www.johnmcgann.com/Images/DeathWaltz.jpg

http://worldfiddlemusic.co.uk/sheetmusictoshare/death-waltz2.jpg

[:D]

• SCORE.............

DG

• behind door no. one is finale.

• Heilige Maria, what a day... The manuals are ĂĽberweak!

How you break a beam in a tuplet.
    How you extend a beam over a barline.
    How you select one staff over the full score when you see only page one.
    Why does it jump to 100% zoom.
    How to Tuplet over the bar line.
    How you import a single staff into the score via MIDI.
    How you deselect this god damn auto formating who always streteches to the the full page.

No nothing in the user guide about simple things like that, the word BEAM doesn't even appear in the manual once, nor the online help. Maybe it's a b-word. Have this programmers ever seen a composer from the near?

[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]

• Got to be done. There's no short cuts.

• Robert..

you mean it can be done, but there are no key command?

or

It's may coming in a future update?

• Hi Angelo

I just got back .

Are you in a sibelious, finale or logic platform ?

Thats the key issue in the notaion platforms, the key commands.

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

Heilige Maria, what a day... The manuals are ĂĽberweak!

How you break a beam in a tuplet.
    How you extend a beam over a barline.
    Why does it jump to 100% zoom.
    How to Tuplet over the bar line.
    How you import a single staff into the score via MIDI.
    How you deselect this god damn auto formating who always streteches to the the full page.

No nothing in the user guide about simple things like that, the word BEAM doesn't even appear in the manual once, nor the online help. Maybe it's a b-word. Have this programmers ever seen a composer from the near?

[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]

If you are referring to Sibelius, most of this is very easy. Go to their forum and all will be explained in a very short time. However, I've just checked the manual and it certainly does mention beams (page 6[H], so it can't be Sibelius; sorry.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Sibelius: triple clicking.
    There are various things that need alternative ways to write them down. Usually this involves creating lines which don't play back.

What do you mean by breaking the beams of a tuplet? Anyway, beaming of tuplets in Sibelius3 manual can be found on page 154.

Beaming across barlines, again in Sibelius3 manual page 154. This involves creating a beam-line (shortcut L), as the sofftware cannot do this automatically.

Good luck!

===

BTW: I love the humour in the Sibelius3 manual! Makes it actually a pretty fun read!

• last edited
    last edited

@weslldeckers said:

What do you mean by breaking the beams of a tuplet?

BTW: I love the humour in the Sibelius3 manual! Makes it actually a pretty fun read!

By "breaking the beams of tuplets" i meant for example: 32nd 17-tuplets, 17:16 at the place of two quarter, so you subdivide the tuplets for phrasing i.e. to 3-3-2-3-3-3 by interupting two beams in between the groups.

Well, i still working with the v4.0.1 demo, which comes with no user guide, respectively with a very basic demo guide, as i said the word beam is not involved there.

Is the full Sibelius manual you talking about a booklet or a pdf? I can't join the forum since i haven't buyed a copy yet. Since several days one computer is running 24hours with Sibelius and Finale, and i test my notation needs, however Finale demo comes with the full manual.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

who bring back the fun!

click click click

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

to 3-3-2-3-3-3 by interupting two beams in between the groups.

Ah, breaking like that. Shouldn't be to hard with the second 'page' of the keypad menu (that keypad thing with note values at page one, beam starts and ends at page 2, and lots more on the other pages). Press the 'plus' key of your numeric keypad to switch pages.

• The word on the street is that Sibelius is a very user-friendly program...

That being said, I use Finale [:D]

I do know that Finale is one of the more popular engraving tools... and can do just about anything that you want it to.

Kendor Music uses Finale and I believe that Hal Leonard used Finale engraving.

The problem with a great deal of "power" in a program... it that it requires a great deal of knowledge and research to use it (thus making it not-so user-friendly).

but as somebody mentioned earlier... if you have used one program for a long period of time with great success... why switch?

I'll keep using my Finale [:)]

besides... they upgrade EVERY year for the most part... and the upgrades have been very significant in the past couple of years.

I see Finale entering more into the world of "Playback" as Sibelius had done a couple of versions ago. That seems to be the most focus for these competitors at this time.

• [Replying to a very old post, sorry!]

I use Sibelius, though each have their pros and cons. I find Sibelius easier to use for composition to get ideas down quickly. There is not a 'triplet tool' and so forth. Sibelius is very much like working with a piece of paper.

However, Finale has better notation abilities for contemporary music to get a nice printed score. You can fake your way through with things in Sibelius, but Finale has support for stemlets, and other things which are quite nice that Sibelius lacks.

Gripes with Finale:
    - Have to choose a key at the beginning of a score- though I know there are ways around this
    (come on, join us in the 20th/21st century, Finale!)
    - All the tools are not easy to use and I somewhat feel like I'm using an AutoCAD drafting program when notating music
    - Not as easy to work with in free composition like Sibelius
    - Releases every year: force upgrade yearly with users

Gripes with Sibelius:
    - Not easy to make contemporary markings, as built in with Finale
    - No VST/AU etc support which the newest Finale is embracing
    - slow with releasing an intel mac version
    - No resize percentage tool. Hard to resize individual components like in Finale, and make specific changes to score
    - Fewer beaming/tie specifics than Finale. Easier to specify uniform beams and ties in Finale, in exact measurements.

• last edited
    last edited

@stmiller said:

- Not as easy to work with in free composition like Sibelius

I hear this statement also the other way round...