Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,382 users have contributed to 42,295 threads and 255,061 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Yes, you are right. In the past we've planned the SC as single product on harddisc - no modules, collections etc.

In the meantime we've learned that a lot of our customers prefer individual selections. Therefor we've splitted the SC into ten collections, which can be ordered individual, and therefore a harddisc solution didn't make sense any more.

best
    Herb

• It seems that in this meantime VSL is also learning some new things about what their customers prefer about this SC and what doesn't seem to make sense anymore to their loyal clientele.

Clark

• How long to decompress and load to hard disc and organise 550 GB from DVD??

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

In the meantime we've learned that a lot of our customers prefer individual selections. Therefor we've splitted the SC into ten collections, which can be ordered individual, and therefore a harddisc solution didn't make sense any more.
    best
    Herb

And that is what 'sensible' users have always asked for - well done .

Fancy a game of golf now Herb?

[:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@paynterr said:

Just logged in after the countdown and am frankly quite disappointed with what is being put on offer.

Personally, I will be irritated if the strings are the same as before - although 24 bit may or may not make a difference to the mixed sound. Dunno. Being unable to download any of the videos at this time - I understand from a colleague that the Repetition now looks really good and intuitive.

• Wow paul your really missing out. The videos are fantastic!

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Wow paul your really missing out. The videos are fantastic!

Quicktime 6 Christian - everytime I try and download they stick at about 30% - could be because there's alot of downloading going on, or because somethings wrong at this end. Shouldn't think it's that though.

• Paul, are you downloading them or streaming them?

Have you tried right clicking on the links and selecting 'Save Target As.'

I had trouble streaming them, but downloading them allowed me to watch them.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Wow paul your really missing out. The videos are fantastic!

Quicktime 6 Christian - everytime I try and download they stick at about 30% - could be because there's alot of downloading going on, or because somethings wrong at this end. Shouldn't think it's that though.
    I'm guessing your on Mac then? If not try the WMV files. You just HAVE to see these vids!

• I've had no problem streaming on my office Mac Mini.I'm on QT 7:maybe that's your problem there, Paul. Gotta say: I'm very, very excited (in principle) by this new interface and its potential for networking. Looks like they've taken on board what people are asking for (with a little influence of the better features of Kontakt 2).The rep interface makes the whole process appear very facile and quick.

Maybe it's my imagination, but the interface demos seem to have taken the VSL instruments to a new level of realism. Some people have been griping about not enough new sounds: there seems to be an awful lot of new stuff to me (I'm particularly excited by the introduction of mordents); but then, I'll be going straight from the First Edition to the new Pro.

This new interface looks like the dog's wedding tackle to me.Sorry,Paul,haha!

• the only big improvement in content of the old stuff is the reprograming of the perf rep patches but its not with 4-11 grand. I'd pay a modest fee to have those newly edited samples of my old content for giga studio. I don't really need the new interface. Though it's purported sample loading efficency sounds promising.

I am not sure if the new content will include stuff like improved legato violins or something like that but I'd be inerested to hear what they sound like.

• Wow - Baghdad Cafe is a seriously weird film.

Anyway, can't go to Quicktime 7 right now - need to be at least OS 10.9 - I daren't update from 10.8 to that at this time. So it could be that for sure, although never any problems in the past. No worries on the vids at this time though. Can't right click either Joseph - Mac mouse hahaa! Tried the 'download' also. It's not a problem - I will get to see them soon no doubt.

• Dear PaulR,

I believe it's Control-Click for right clicking on a Mac. Should open up new worlds for you.

Jack

• last edited
    last edited

@Jack Weaver said:

Dear PaulR,

I believe it's Control-Click for right clicking on a Mac. Should open up new worlds for you.

Jack

Dear Jack,

Yeah - tried all that before - doesn't work/thanks.

• I think it does introduce new and important features that aim exactly for the weaknesses in sampling (as repetitions).. my concerns are mostly about usability in a large orchestral context..
    Will I need 10-15 DAWs to run that thing properly? Will it be complicated, like "ah, ok wich articulations did I assign to the mod wheel for the flutes again.." and long ot use, so that the results are too slow to respond to the demands? How stable and well working is the new sample engine?
    I most certainly would want to try the software before I'd consider buying it, but if I understood this right, we have to pay the full price first (not an upgrade price) and we then only get the upgrade price on the extention..

• Well, I for one think that the VI concept seems to be absolutely fantastic and an excellent achievement. It seems very straightforward to use, flexible and efficient in terms of RAM usage etc.

I also think it's great to offer it split up in sections, since a lot of people obviously wanted to be able to buy "only the Woodwinds" and so on. Good call indeed.

I only have a couple of concerns really:

My first one (which apparently many share with me) is how the upgrades from older versions of VSL will work out. I'm however confident that VSL will not go back on their promises (such as the VIP guarantee) and make sure that old customers are taken care of in the best manner possible.

My second concern is related to the fact that the VI samples won't be editable by users. IMO, this makes it even more important that VSL adresses some of the few problems remaining in an otherwise excellent product that only grew even better with the VI's.

I'm talking about stuff like inconsistencies between samples (for example jumps in timbre within the same instrument/articulation that sound unnatural) and the phasing occuring when crossfading in some instruments.

If these problems were fixed, then an already brilliant product would IMO come as close to perfection as it's almost humanly possible when it comes to sample libraries.

I'm pretty confident MIR will also be very interesting. If it turns out only half as good as the VI's seem to be, then it will also be excellent.

R

• Hey paynterr,

If you're on Mac, I'm almost ready with my app. It's a similar idea to what the Vienna Instruments do, but it uses an analysis delay, sort of like Synful. This means that it's not "real time", but on the other hand there's no sample loading/buffering to be done (or rather, it's done during playback), so you can access any sample at any time, regardless of RAM (well, almost!). I've been testing it with a piece I'm writing for wind quintet (all Opus 1-based), and RAM usage sits around 256 MB -- remember, this is with NO limitations on articulations. There's also a couple of what I call "Spectralist" instruments, which allow realtime spectral morphing between any two instruments -- pretty fun making crazy hybrids, like the Fliolin (FL1 and VI morphed)!!!

Anyway, there's still work to be done on the GUI. I'm hoping to release it in early 2006, and I'm hoping VSL won't mind me posting a little note about it here -- it will be a different manner of beast, in many ways, and will soften the blow a little for those who can't manage the Vienna Instruments yet. It will be donate-according-to-your-conscience-ware, so just Paypal me a self-defined "appropriate" amount of dough if you find it useful!

Anyway, I know I've mentioned it before, and nothing's come out yet, but I swear by the sweat of my oft-furrowed brow that it's not vapor-ware! It just takes time -- between composing, and working two day-jobs!

cheers,

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@jbm said:

Hey paynterr,

If you're on Mac, I'm almost ready with my app. It's a similar idea to what the Vienna Instruments do, but it uses an analysis delay, sort of like Synful. This means that it's not "real time", but on the other hand there's no sample loading/buffering to be done (or rather, it's done during playback), so you can access any sample at any time, regardless of RAM (well, almost!). I've been testing it with a piece I'm writing for wind quintet (all Opus 1-based), and RAM usage sits around 256 MB -- remember, this is with NO limitations on articulations. There's also a couple of what I call "Spectralist" instruments, which allow realtime spectral morphing between any two instruments -- pretty fun making crazy hybrids, like the Fliolin (FL1 and VI morphed)!!!

Anyway, there's still work to be done on the GUI. I'm hoping to release it in early 2006, and I'm hoping VSL won't mind me posting a little note about it here -- it will be a different manner of beast, in many ways, and will soften the blow a little for those who can't manage the Vienna Instruments yet. It will be donate-according-to-your-conscience-ware, so just Paypal me a self-defined "appropriate" amount of dough if you find it useful!

Anyway, I know I've mentioned it before, and nothing's come out yet, but I swear by the sweat of my oft-furrowed brow that it's not vapor-ware! It just takes time -- between composing, and working two day-jobs!

cheers,

J.

Hi there,
    I imagine VSL will mind you posting this as your tool wins hands down against the new VSTi which is overcomplicated and doesn't tackle the core problems of usability etc.
    You are very much taking the right approach to how to make orchestral instruments. As is synful.
    I very much look forward to details on how this is coming along.
    I laughed yesterday when the discount calculator told me it would expect me to pay 3500 for the same sets of samples I already own... with what is essentially just a an improvement in the GUI and workflow by removing what I consider to be a deficient implementation of the performance tool.
    I am probably soon to be an ex-VSL customer.
    That said, I may very well buy your tool.
    Does it work with performance tool too?
    Cheers
    R

• last edited
    last edited

@jbm said:

Hey paynterr,

cheers,

J.

Sounds fascinating - are you saying that this app will make ram problems virtually irrelevant by sidestepping the whole buffer loading issue? Does it work in conjunction with existing samplers, or is it actually a sampler?
    I certainly hope you will port to pc, and fast! [[;)]]

• Well... my tool doesn't win hands-down against anything as far as the big public is concerned, since it isn't actually available! Also, I really don't want to go up against VSL -- I wrote this as a tool for myself, as it seemed clear that it would be possible to do. I've had ideas to do something like this since before I even knew about VSL, and I finallly managed to build something that works.
    There are many great things about the Vienna Instruments (a high degree of flexibility of user-configuration, for one), and I seriously doubt that I can get my tool to perform at as high a level as far as polyphony goes... (Not certain about this, since I haven't done that much stress-testing.) That said, so far my app is working very well (in fact, a little better than I expected!), and certainly makes my life much easier.
    It doesn't use the Performance Tool, as it performs this function itself. And yes, it is a sampler, of sorts -- a sample player, with intelligent interpretation.
    And yes, buffering is done on the fly, so there's no pre-loading of samples -- one thing it definitely IS is RAM-friendly!
    I have two commissions that need to be done over the next month, or so, so I'll be pressed for time, but I'm also putting a strong push on getting it out into the world.
    Windows is a problem primarily because the licencing for MaxMSP (the primary platform upon which the app is built) requires me to pay $1000 up front to even offer Windows support. Lame, but unavoidable. If it looks like there will be some demand, and I have some spare dough, I may thrown down for the licencing... we'll see.
    As far as Herb and an announcement goes, I do remember quite a while ago that cm was quite supportive, and gave me the "okay" to post an announcement. Obviously, things are different now that the VIs are out...
    Personally, I don't think they should really mind. I mean, it is going to be donate-ware (at least for now), and any money I make is pretty much going straight into Herb's pockets! (There's still a few thousand dollars worth of VSL I'm really dying to have!). (And yes, that DOES include a few Vienna Instruments!)

cheers,

J.