Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,823 users have contributed to 42,323 threads and 255,177 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• So, Argitoth... do you have anything we could listen to?

• last edited
    last edited
    Here you go: A Most Jazzy Day (Organ Rock)
    Made with Reason 3.0

• last edited
    last edited

@Argitoth said:

Here you go: A Most Jazzy Day (Organ Rock)
    Made with Reason 3.0

Heheh - that's pretty good. I jammed along with it actually with more of a Hammond gritty overdriven sound and it was fun. [:)]

Long time since I played anything in A minor.

Did you play it or program it?

• Play it? Program it? To me those are pretty much the same. Actually I always do half and half. I play it and tweak it to perfection; it's really half and half for me.

• last edited
    last edited

@Argitoth said:

Play it? Program it? To me those are pretty much the same. Actually I always do half and half. I play it and tweak it to perfection; it's really half and half for me.

So you program it then. lol

No - just kidding. Interesting that you might think the actual playing then becomes perfection - after being tweaked. [[;)]]

• for that comment you die. [H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Argitoth said:

for that comment you die. [H]

[:D] [:D]

I admire someone who can stick up for themselves. That's great. Hahaha!

So, how long have you been playing keyboards and who's your favourite influence?

• C'mon all you old people (like me apparently, since I didn't know that PWNT meant)... just remember this quote from Mark Twain:

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years. "

[;)]

So... get back to us in 5 years and see if we've learned a bit, Argitoth, but in the meantime have a blast making music. I enjoyed your organ jazz piece, you've got a "face" to your music as my teacher used to say.

To answer your insatiable curiousity I write music for TV (ads and docs) and theater. I'm 28. And I have m4d sk1llz [;)] And a black and white cat. Actually he writes all my music for me.

In addition to VSL I have a load of old Roland libraries and a Roland synth which I actually still use, old Emu libraries which I actually still use, Percussive Aventures 1 and 2, lots of drum loop libraries (not being a proficient percussion programmer... that's PPP for you acronym folks), Virtual Guitarist (not being a great guitar guru (GGG)), a bunch of ethnic and random sound libraries, sound effects from Sounds Incredible, and I even hire LIVE players now and then! Wow. Now THAT's old skool! [;)]

-Alison

• [Do you know when you will feel _really_ old ...? ... when someone who is 12 years younger than you talks like a veteran to someone else ... [:P] ]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • [:D] Dietz! Well... 12 years between Argitoth and me... 12 years between me and you (assuming you were talking about me ), means things can only get better for me! [:)] But veteran status has less to do with age and more to do with how many purple hearts in the line of duty... which in the music world I guess means things like all-nighters, having your scores thrown out, having producers ask you to use less "flute" when really it's a bassoon, recovering from giga BSODs in the middle of the all-nighters fixing the flute/bassoon and then having your scores thrown out... [[;)]]

• I can actually only feel sorry for Argitoth, the lessons he will inevitably be forced to learn in the years ahead will be hard and unforgiving.
    The realization and creation of music whether on stage or in the studio requires many to work together in camaraderie usually led by a humble spirit with a single vision and the ability to bring out the best in people. I've been fortunate enough to work closely with two Pulitzer Prize winning composers and both were two of the most humble and kindest people I've ever met.

• last edited
    last edited

@tcovem said:

And a black and white cat. Actually he writes all my music for me.
    -Alison

Cats are the secret weapon of all composers. Both of mine are better writers than I'll ever be and generally leave the room when it's a dogs dinner of a composition - which is often. Otherwise, they eat the flowers - then you know it's really bad.

• Yeah, either cats or dogs... my comp prof in college had great danes. I dog-sat for them at one point and was told I could use the piano there if I wanted. However the dog had other ideas. Apparently my playing insulted her... and you don't want to insult a great dane let me tell you!

My cat also enjoys climbing INTO my organ (via the volume pedal). Also jumping on my mixer and resetting all the faders. This only when I'm not paying him enough attention of course (which is always, according to him).

• last edited
    last edited

@tcovem said:

My cat also enjoys climbing INTO my organ (via the volume pedal).

Not quite sure how to react to that Alison. [:D] [[:|]]

Yes, they will do all of that and more. What sort of organ do you have? A Hammond B3 by any chance?

• Ha ha...

Nope, I have a Baldwin C something or other. It's a practice organ for church music mainly. Sounds awful but has an AGO pedal board.

• Call me an ignorant - but what is an "AGO-pedal-board", please [*-)]:

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Google is your friend [[;)]] Don't know if it is really it, but first entrance showed up wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGO_pedalboard

[[;)]] [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I can actually only feel sorry for Argitoth, the lessons he will inevitably be forced to learn in the years ahead will be hard and unforgiving.

Hah, if I feel a song is my BEST work and the guy tells me it's crap and tells me to start over, I won't care. I'll just do what he says because the music I create will never go to waste. I could use it as a promotional demo, I could sell it on a music CD, and whatever else is possible.

• last edited
    last edited

@Argitoth said:

My influences are very narrow and 90% of it is game music and those who composed them. Romolo Di Prisco, Crispin Hands (Need for Speed III), Jón H. Haraldsson (EVE Online), Kevin Manthei (Majesty), Battlezone II, Command and Conquer series, Need for Speed series, Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology, Jumpgate, and the old skool: Lemmings, Raptor, Tyrian... I wish I had those composers' names.

Good Lord!

• [*-)]: