Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,235 users have contributed to 42,285 threads and 255,022 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@calaf5 said:

First of all - I do live in the LA area.
    ...calaf
    RRRRRRFFFFFFFOOOOOOLLLL!!!!!

LOL! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

After all that frekin shit these guys put me through, you are not in freakin Denmark at all! Man the shit I endured for you Calaf! LOL.

Well, congrats on being in LA. So, you know you can call me anytime or email me and I'd be glad to help you however I can if I have a moment.

filmcomposer@evanevans.org

Hilarious!

Evan Evans

• [..

• Fred,

All of what you said is great.

Calaf,

I know first hand, and from over hundreds of others how to do the "grind". I actually know the statistics and numbers behind it all as well. Email me:

filmcompsoer@evanevans.org

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

What the devil did you all think calaf was short for? Huh?
    Somewhere in the far eastern desert - in a tent?
    Oh! lol. yes I actually did. I thoguht he was a middle eastern composer.

Calaf Hachmed Ashibi.

Evan Evans

• What Fred and Evan are talking about is absolutely true. And every young composer here must understand this.

To succeed in film music, you must master the art.

Not the art of music of course.

The Art of Schmoozing. Master that well, and you will succeed.

• Well put, William. [:)]

I would like to qualify a little, if you don't mind.

Not to quibble about syntax, but some might put the term "schmoozing" in a negative context. I think it's important not to.

As a bit of an introvert, I initially found the effort uncomfortable. But I quickly found that engaging interesting people in conversation is fun. I also learned that it's important to spend most of your time asking questions, learning, being interested in how others work and how THEIR businesses operate. Folks will find it offputting - and you'll generally leave a negative impression - if you spend most of your time promoting yourself. Remember...your most important goal is to make a relationship, not get a gig. The gigs will come organically from the relationships you build. If you like people and find them interesting, this is something you don't have to work at...just be yourself and make new friends.

And boy, howdy - the stuff you can learn! I've met folks who've never given me a dollar's worth of work, but who have become friends I can turn to for advice on all sorts of matters. That helps my bottom line, too. And unless you're some kind of hermit, who doesn't like making new friends?

Fred Story

• Paul,

I know what MY definition of an open question is. I'd love to hear yours.

Fred Story

• Hello again.

I really don't want to dominate this conversation, but I think it's such a valuable one to have. It's real world stuff you don't learn in school or from books. And there's another aspect I'd like to share.

We have a rule here at Concentrix...ALWAYS put the clients' best interest first - EVEN if it means we don't get the gig.

That's tough, sometimes. But we feel we MUST do it. First, we have to sleep at night. Second...it's good for business.

One example. One of my best clients is a major event planner. I've served as musical director for some of her biggest productions. Several years ago she was hired to organize the Pride Awards, a major black community service ceremony. She did what anyone would do...she started calling everyone she was used to working with. But as it turned out, most of us were caucasian. Now, I hate political correctness as much as the next person, but it IS a reality. I asked her if she was concerned about this. Her response was, "Oh my God...I didn't even THINK of that! What do I do?"

First, this thing had really nice budget...and the opportunity to work with a 70 voice gospel choir. I was jazzed about it. But I knew she would score more points with HER client if the ethnic mix of her production team was a little more balanced. As a result, I made some inquiries and gave her the names of some African American composer/musicians she might contact.

Well, it turns out that one of them was a very well known Contemporary Christian artist, and he was hired for the gig. Then a funny thing happened. He appreciated the referral so much, he called me to collaborate with him on the production. This guy was an AMAZING performer, composer and orchestrator; and as it turned out...an equally spectacular producer. The session is one of my most memorable. And the stuff I LEARNED from this guy! Not only that, but he ended up being the soloist with the choir, and it was a HUGE hit with the audience. I ended up making some money on the project, I made a valuable new friend and contact, and my client ended up signing a multi-year contract to produce the event.

Afterward, she wrote me a letter to express how much she appreciated me putting her needs first. It was eloquent and touching. I take it out and read it from time to time to remind me how important our philosophy is. And I hesitate to even call it a "philosophy". Sounds sort of pretentious. It's really just caring about people and being honest.

I have other examples, but I won't bore you with them. Believe me, when you put that client's need before your own, it's a pretty powerful thing. (And yes, there ARE jerks out there who won't appreciate it...but you will have STILL done the right thing.)

Jeeez, I hope this didn't sound too preachy.

Fred Story

• Preachy or otherwise - this kind of thing is not discussed enough - not matter if you are making music, blue widgets, whatever - this is the way each of our businesses should be run.

Great story Fred (hey I just realized that was a fairly good pun [:D] ). Thanks for sharing!

Rob

• Thanks very much Fred, for this Story (sorry, couldn't resist)

I really appreciate you're sharing this with us. [:D]

In the end it's all about people trying and needing to work together. A great place to transform inspiration into creation.

Thanks,

Peter R.

• last edited
    last edited

@Fred Story said:

I also learned that it's important to spend most of your time asking questions, learning, being interested in how others work and how THEIR businesses operate.

That´s a very relevant one!

Thanks for this amazing thread, it´s great to read. As usual, I love your anecdotes, Fred. And Paul, great lecture about sales!

• Hi Fred,

I like your story! Good advices for our friends and best of all you use the right words!

Even you know a lot about you stuff and I am shure I know what you are talking-we all appreciate your insights and views-but be a little more political [H] , ...

take care, imusic

oh btw , there is no formula for that (thank god) learn your craft, learn to work with people and enjoy! either in LA or anywhere

• Thanks for those nice replies, gang. I feel pretty strongly about this stuff, so when I post about it I'm always concerned that it'll come off as some kind of sermon or something...which I NEVER want.

This remains one of the most cordial, professional forums I visit, and I learn a lot hanging around here. It's because everyone is so willing to share...especially the real world stuff.

Too bad we can't have a big VSL party. Can you imagine how much fun it would be if we ALL could get together in one room for an evening?

Fred Story

• I'm not so sure about that - there might be fatalities if the Romanticists and Modernists got liquored up.

• Thank you Fred (and others) for your advice and tips. There was much wisdom in them.

Time to go make contacts!

calaf

• And don't forget the idealists William. That's me and you! We would have to take it outside! And Herb would have to be the referree!

Evan Evans

• No, we'd begin discussing Herrmann and there would be no problem after that.