Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,119 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Only one simple example:

you have three times the same repetition phrase all on the same pitch following each other

ta-ta-ta-taa ... ta-ta-ta-taa ... ta-ta-ta-taa

You are using a 9rep performane, so you could set up three different phrases using different parts of the repetition.
    There are so many possibilities, I'm sure that a creativ composer like you, will check it out.

best
    Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

ta-ta-ta-taa ... ta-ta-ta-taa ... ta-ta-ta-taa
    You are using a 9rep performane, so you could set up three different phrases using different parts of the repetition. ... best
    Herb

Ah, I see Herb, So if you wanted several iterations of the same repetitive motif to sound not repeated you would go, 1,1,1 : 1,0,1,1 : and finally 1,1,0,1 ??? This would create three reps each with the same starting note and each with its own set of repeated notes?

Evan

• Exactly.
    I prefer to use original start and end notes for phrases, which do have start end endings.
    So I would propably use these presets:

1:0:0:0:1:1:0:0:1 -- 1:0:0:0:0:0:1:1:1 -- 1:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:1

So in this case the repetition tool helps to achieve "user-controlled randomness".

It really depends how exposed an instrument is.
    If there are permanent repetitions in a tutti, I simply use a preset line, where the starting note is switched OFF.

Another cool trick to get randomness is to use different repetition counts if 2 instruments are performing repetitions in unisono.
    For example bassi and celli, and they have to perform 40 or more repetition counts on the same key. (in a classical style)
    You don't want to setup the repetition tool in CHAIN mode, but you want to avoid a loop character. So use for the celli this preset:

0:1:1:1:1:0:1:1:1

and for the bassi this one:

0:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1

best
    Herb

• Oh my goodness, I am starting to understand this now. Ok, ok. This is great. I am going ot have some fun experimenting with this in a few days. Thanks for being, well, INCREDIBLY PATIENT with me.

[;)]

Evan Evans

• This is a very good thread. One question - Why do we set the first note of the rep to "O"

Thanks

Rob

• Herb was saying that with lots of other instruments layered in that you wouldnt hear much difference between 1 and 0 for the first note, and so it's a way to give some variety.

Evan Evans

• Excellent stuff! Even I'm getting a grip on it now!

• Yeah, I think I'm about 75% there too! Can't wait to fully tinker with it to fully understand it. All my prior tinkerings did not have the practical reasoning wisdom. This info from Herb is really essential to understanding why the heck you would do what you would do with the repetition tool.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@jbm said:

Hey Paul,

My two cents is that perhaps the application of repetitions with the Performance Tool represent a somewhat temporary solution. If you've been reading the Forum carefully (which I know you have... [;)]) you've no doubt seen little hints that the VSL are up to something really big behind the scenes. In theory, the repetition _samples_ are a brilliant idea. It's just the use of the tool that's a little weird... So, I think the repetition samples will really come into their own down the road a little.

[p.s. -- I've recently ordered a G5 as well, though I'm still awaiting shipment... I'm dying to get my hands on the bloody thing!]

Yes. I think you may have a very good point J.

Enjoy you G5 and make sure you put plenty of Ram in it. [[;)]]

PR

• Yeah... HOLY $$$$

This is an expensive business... Who ever imagined that being composer would be this pricey!??

I mean, yeah, we can make no money, but to have to spend $10,000.00 to make no money... Now, THAT'S grim! [;)]

Anyway, 1.5 GB and counting... slowly counting...

J.

• Could you please post a short example of how Repetion Samples and tool sounds.