Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,375 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,499 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Jean...that is an important point. The guy basically says that (some)software developers are ripping off the public by selling unreliable products.

http://www.joeuser.com/index.asp?c=1&AID=21895&u=0
    (the Link again)

And it is indeed an incredible cheek to take money from someone for something half-finished. But it happens quite a bit.

That doesn't apply so much to straight sample developers of course, but the lines are blurring as more sound companies wrap their products in a plug in, or supply tools to make them work. How much time do you spend downloading and installing updates,on the phone to support, trying to get your system working stably so you can.....? what? -oh yeah, it was music that got me into this, right?

I was more productive 10 years ago with an Atari and hardware samplers!

Nigel

• Nigel,

Man, nothing could be truer! 10 years ago I could produce 6 minutes of music a day. Now I am lucky if I get 1 minute done!

Evan Evans

• thank you Evan, I was thinking it was just me..... [:D]

now where was the Link for DFD extension 1.2.9.....or did I install it already

I'd better go trash some preferences and take a walk

N

• I've noticed the same principle of productivity going downhill especially in relation to Emulator IV hardware running Miraslav Vitous which was so reliable and quick to use, compared to today's ultra finicky software samplers.

"it is indeed an incredible cheek to take money from someone for something half-finished" - Nigel Watson

You know what I thought the instant I read this?

GIGASTUDIO

• Yes, I love my E4. Sadly, I never use it anymore though because "total recall" is something I'm pretty dependent on. I've converted lots of the sounds for EXS24 but they come nowhere near to how thay sounded in the E4. I'll will keep it until they make their new sampler card Mac-ready.

Even then I'll probably still keep it.

Nigel

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I've noticed the same principle of productivity going downhill especially in relation to Emulator IV hardware running Miraslav Vitous which was so reliable and quick to use, compared to today's ultra finicky software samplers.

"it is indeed an incredible cheek to take money from someone for something half-finished" - Nigel Watson

You know what I thought the instant I read this?

GIGASTUDIO

William-
    Me too. The product is definitely not finished! It crashes on me EVERY time I use it, and the 'known issues' are quite numerous and major. I have encountered a few errors that are not even on that page too. I guess we'll have to wait another year for an update. [8-)]
    -mvanbebber

• AS you may or may not know. the core of GigaStudio is licensed from Jet Propulsions Laboratories. It is not allowed to be changed or modified according to the license agreement. So unless TASCAM abandons it entirely, then if it's the core causing any problems, it ain't gonna change in any future versions.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There are ways for a developer to take this idea and use it to advantage. Such as Softimage 3D. The nearly complete version is freely available for download at the website. The only limitations are that that the file format it saves will not open on the professional version, and the render resolution is locked to just below broadcast quality. Otherwise it is fully funcional. This takes away the temptation for people to illigitimately acquire software, while at the same time ensuring that it cannot be used for commercial applications.

~Chris

There, you just said it ....

Now, I don't now how this type of DEMO-type protection would work for Sample Libraries, but I've seen DEMOs of Reverbs where there was a "beep" every ten seconds .... just brainstorming ....

However, my point is, rationalise as much as you will, if you or your school didn't pay for it, or get it as a gift, don't use it.
    PIRACY IN ANY FORM IS WRONG!!!!

• last edited
    last edited

@GTBannah said:

Now, I don't now how this type of DEMO-type protection would work for Sample Libraries, but I've seen DEMOs of Reverbs where there was a "beep" every ten seconds .... just brainstorming ....

Altiverb does that. That's great, when you do a 200 hundred mile round trip for an Altiverb demo, and when you get to the shop, the guy demonstrating can't turn the f**king beep off and you've completely wasted your time and day. And you have to remain civil!!! Otherwise you'd wind up throwing him out the window! [8o|]

Just thought I'd share that with you.

• PaulR,

[message revised by evanevans; removed for inflammatory content, namely information that promotes hacking and cracking and stealing and plundering!!!! [6] ]

Evan Evans