Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,294 users have contributed to 42,289 threads and 255,038 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Mine Too.

[:D]

Nick

• I think it would be a very healthy addition to the Forum and would attract more and more people to VSL just as the GIGA section does.
    Dave Connor[/quote]

Sorry I'm late. Iv'e just woken up. Heavy night.

Great idea thats previously and originally been mentioned by William on another thread some time ago, I think.

Christian, you'll get crossover from other forum sites, which in turn will highlight the use of VSL within discussed musical contexts. I refer to Dave's quote above.

The other technical forums of VSL are extremely important too, of course, and I for one, always check those out. We are lucky to have such a cross section of musicians on the VSL forum as a whole, with a great range of both technical and musical knowledge.

• witch is really haunting...[/quote]

Wonderful play on words there Crystal. Impressed.

Paul

• I agree. Got my terra bit votes as well! [[;)]]

• I agree too...

[:D]

• as a new orchestral composer, I bought vsl to allow me to do either orchestral sketches or finished works - in either case, I'm learning my orchestral composing with vsl as my orchestra.

To this end, there is a LOT of information that I want to pick up that is purely musical - orchestration, theme writing, whatever. Stuff that is platform and technology independent. We have a ton of talented people on this forum who can contribute fantastic musical information - I would love to see a place where that can be concentrated. It also is very valuable when you want to go back and search for some orchestration discussion not to have to sift through thousands of "performance tool crashing!!!" messages.

I do agree that if you spliter the forum too much, it becomes less useful, and clearly there IS a lot of overlap - an orchestration discussion can very quickly become how to layer samples to get a great sound. So, can we somehow combine them? For instance (I'm spitballing here), when someone posts to the new orchestration forum, the main VSL forum gets a post also which is just the header of the other post, but one that people can't respond to, much like when a moderator moves a topic from one forum to another. So, the orchestration topic can be miles long on the music forum, but there will be a "KingIdiot: How to get that big string sound - ON THE MUSIC FORUM" post in the main vsl post. Or something. But it seems that we could combine the two. Or maybe that's too much work and we just make a new forum. Or maybe we don't.

As a second thought, does your bb server allow for the categorizing of posts? If when someone started a post, they could pick from a list saying that this is a music/tech/giga/rant post, one could do a visual scan or even sort on that data while keeping everything in the same forum.

my, too, sense-
    -d-

• Composer/arranging/orchestration, etc. forum sounds very useful.

Rob

• Great idea. I'd love to see that.

• [:D] Yes!

Beat Kaufmann

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Hello all,

I'm just back from NAMM, and I'm really impressed how many postings I've missed the last week.

OK, here is my suggestion for a "new" forum:
    We could rededicate or simple expand the "Online Instrumental Studies" forum.
    So I'd like to ask you how we should name this forum section.

And it would be very helpful if you could list which topics should be removed into this new forum.

best
    Herb

• [quote=herb] So I'd like to ask you how we should name this forum section.

"Music Making" might be a good title.

Any number of subjects from current and former composers (Classical/Film /Pop/Rock/Jazz/Broadway) to the musical and mechanical devices used by them - and us (orchestration, form etc.) - (sample libraries, recording techniques etc.) would fit well under this heading.

I imagine there will be a natural gravitational pull to certain topics such as orchestration (on the pad and MIDI - the differences between the two and whether there is any difference in approach with libraries like VSL now available) for example.

Suggestions and tips will abound, arguments will ensue, and we will all eventually bow to the brilliance (if not wit) of Evan Evans. [:)]

Dave Connor

• Oh yeah!
    Orchestration and composition forum. That'd be great.

~Chris

• ... another great suggestion from herb which would avoid splitting into too many sections
    just a quiet request - could we please keep the word *instrument* in the title?
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

could we please keep the word *instrument* in the title?
    christian

Sure. "Composition, orchestration and instrumentation". [:)]

/Mattias

• One thing that recently occurred to me is to include "History" in this - like "Composers/Instruments/Music History" or something along those lines because that is one of the things I've found most interesting on this forum - like when Esperlad corrects me about Gershwin and the two Bennetts, or when DPcon talks about Raksin, etc. The history of music is the basis of it - the elemental thing that composers today are working from - and should be an essential part of it. Especially in the days of shallow, disorganized internet knowledge and 18 month hardware/software obsolescence.

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

Composer/arranging/orchestration, etc. forum sounds very useful.

Rob

i second that idea

• [:D]

Yes indeed... a focus on musical issues would be very helpful. Specifically it would be facinating to discuss particular orchestral textures and the best use of VSL to capture them.

I've found it really helpful when folks site a musical situation and the VSL patch(s) used to achieve it. Perhaps a chapter could be devoted to links to user demos and techniques employed to create them. Beat Kaufmans recent post of the inner workings of the Bach demo was a great and useful example.

You are all great!

Looking Forward,
    Robert