Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,866 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,390 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 74 new user(s).

• Great Film Composers Link

I thought some folks here might like to read David Raksin's writing about some great film composers such as Herrmann, Copland, Korngold, Steiner and more. It's a very interesting and personal take on these giants with a fair amount of biographical material on them as well.

http://www.americancomposers.org/raksin_intro.htm

• That's a very good biographical sketch of Herrmann. This has some very interesting things in it.

• I agree. The Ives connection is very interesting. In my Ives score there are numerous addendums and corrections by Mr. Herrmann. I also appreciate that Raksin's favorite Herrmann score is also mine: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Benny proved he could do lush Romaticism as well as anybody with that gorgeous score (and one of the great Main Titles in film. In fact Benny is hands down king of the Main Title having too many classics to count.)

• Here you go - some stuff you may not know about Herrmann - quite funny stuff in places.

http://www.bernardherrmann.org/articles/interviews/herrmann001/

• Great Link Paul!

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

Great Link Paul!

Here's another one with some funny stuff from old Elmer Bernstien talking about Herrmann and others. Click on the MP3 links - especially the bit about Murder on the Orient Express.

Also - a very interesting take from Elmer Bernstein on his take on Cape Fear's score - then and later with Scorcese. That could cause a debate in itself.

http://www.bernardherrmann.org/articles/interviews/bernstein001/

• Herrmann was a character that is for sure. I love that bit about his allowing someone like Stokowski to be arrogant, but not somebody who didn't deserve to be arrogant. Those he would "take down." Excellent!

Elmer Bernstein was quite a kindly gentlemen, apparently, as was David Raksin. And these two were probably the best, longest-lasting friends of the ultimate curmudgeon Herrmann.

• Another great link Paul. Here's a quote from it:

Elmer Bernstein on Herrmann "He was very hard to please," Mr. Bernstein continued. "He was just amazing. He was the only person I know, when he had to do a score he would start from the beginning of the film, like writing a letter, in ink [and] write the score out. It was just extraordinary... he was ... the greatest, in my opinion.

Wow, that's astonishing.

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

Elmer Bernstein on Herrmann "He was very hard to please," Mr. Bernstein continued. "He was just amazing. He was the only person I know, when he had to do a score he would start from the beginning of the film, like writing a letter, in ink [and] write the score out. It was just extraordinary... he was ... the greatest, in my opinion.

Wow, that's astonishing.

Maybe so - but that's the way to do it in my view. That surely can't surprise anyone with regard to Herrmann though Dave.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Herrmann was a character that is for sure. I love that bit about his allowing someone like Stokowski to be arrogant, but not somebody who didn't deserve to be arrogant. Those he would "take down." Excellent!

I also liked and totally imagined the part about the 'Film Composers of Hollywood's Wives Association'. Ahh - those were the days. Hahaaa! That's a great reaction from Herrmann.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on