Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,305 users have contributed to 42,655 threads and 256,750 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• uhhh - that was new to me ... i have moved cubase and vienna instruments licenses without a problem in the past and didn't even think one could deny such a *consolidation* ...
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Done it! [[[[[:D]]]]] [[[[[:D]]]]] [[[[[:D]]]]]

[:O]ops: Uhu??!?? ...my translation was right, then?!?!?? ...but... it has worked for me too!
    Now my VG2 license is on the VSL key... and VG2 works fine... and the VI takes just 1' 03" to open!!! [[[[[:D]]]]]

Who knows? ...anyway... ...happy ending! [[[[[:D]]]]]

Beat... Happy MAC-world again! [[;)]]

Thanks cm...

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

...you can move licenses between syncrosoft USB protection devices ...
    christian

Licence Reading Improvements

Bevore:
    Synchrosoft 5.2.0.0,
    4 Synchrosoft licence keys + 1 Ilockkey on 1 PCI-USB-Card
    Startup time for a VST-instance ~ 3' (first time) in Cubase SX3
    Startup time for a VST-instance 1' 15" (2nd, 3rd.. time)

Action 1:
    I've transfered all the licences to
    - 1 VSL-key and
    - 1 Steinberg-Key (Cubase, WaveLab, Hypersonic2, The Grand2, Tonwheel Organ)
    New startup time for a VST-instance 2'40" (first time)
    New startup time for a VST-instance 1'10" (2nd, 3rd.. time)

Action 2:
    Switched off Internet Security (G-Data)
    New startup time for a VST-instance 1'07" (first time)
    New startup time for a VST-instance 0'05" (2nd, 3rd.. time)

In any upper case:
    Time for loading an additional instance: Within 1 - 2 seconds.

I'm still not down on 35" but I'm again a happy Windows user [[;)]]

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Beat-- what is "G-data" and how do I switch it off?

Thanks,
    Jay

• last edited
    last edited

@JBacal said:

Beat-- what is "G-data" and how do I switch it off?

Thanks,
    Jay

G-Data is an Internet Security Suite Program (AntiVirus, Spam-filter, Firewall etc.) like McAfee or Northon and...
    G-Data is a German-product which perhaps is unknown outside Europe.

Nice weekend!
    Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • beat, you could try to configure G-Data (which i also do not know unfortunately) to _not_ scan TCP-calls to localhost (this should be the default setting for any firewall) and possibly exclude all sound-data files (or the location where they reside) from beeing scanned during file-access.
    christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

beat, you could try to configure G-Data (which i also do not know unfortunately) to _not_ scan TCP-calls to localhost (this should be the default setting for any firewall) and possibly exclude all sound-data files (or the location where they reside) from beeing scanned during file-access.
    christian

Christian
    Gibt es eine Zeit, wo Du nicht arbeitest? Es ist Samstag Abend - Zeit für den Ausgang!!!
    Thanks anyway for the information. I'm going to try your proposal. I also have the possibiity to switch off the "Wächter" of G-Data for some minutes with the "security suite" itself...

Nice Ausgang! [[;)]]
    Beat

• I've encountered licenses that won't allow themselves to be transfered to other dongles. Apparently it's a feature.

Quite honesty I've found that the VSL/Syncrosoft system works absolutely fine on a consistent basis (long first scan issues notwithstanding). But that hasn't at all been my experience with every Syncrosoft-protected program. I have a couple of Steinberg or Steinberg OEM programs that either run intermittently or that simply refuse to run on my G5. Cubase 3 will not work. Period. The Scarbee Rhodes and Imperial Drums both work fine on one of my Windows machines, but only about 50% of the time on my main G5 - with the same dongle. I've been over this with Syncrosoft at great length; the fellow I corresponded with is very nice and helpful, but we weren't able to get this working properly.

And most Syncrosoft-protected instruments will crash the host violently if the dongle isn't attached and you try to insert them.

Being a journalist I try to tread carefully where peoples' livelihoods are concerned, so I'll leave it at this: there's still a lot of work that needs to be done to make this situation tenable. I happen to know of a developer who was forced to return a couple of customers' purchases because of dongle issues. That's just nuts.

Off the top of my head, VSL is probably the most expensive piece of music software on the planet - with good reason - so waiting a couple of minutes to launch it isn't unreasonable; clearly, they need to protect their investment. But that isn't the case with a $300 library.

Edit: to be clear, I have something like nine Syncrosoft dongles (yeah, I need to consolidate), and most of the programs work fine. It's the ones that don't work that cause the shouting, of course.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Es ist Samstag Abend - Zeit für den Ausgang!!!
    ich war ohnehin gestern ein bisschen streunen und forum lesen ist mehr entspannung als arbeit [;)]

usually we do not recommend to have a firewall or anti-virus application on a music machine at all, but certain setups might request to have them.
    in such a case i'd consider to use the windows XP SP2 firewall for best performance and least trouble and excluding sample data from beeing scanned.
    christian

• As I understand it, the best system is to use a router as a firewall between your cable or DSL modem and computer (or network switch).